Desert sleeping and such | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Desert sleeping and such

SkyeDawg

Reaction score
This is why I'm not going to Nationals if it's in the high desert... Rattlesnakes are no joke. I camped last year in Big Horn for a few days and there were more rattler holes than we could count. Kinda scary, honestly. I'm not much scared of snakes myself, but I do have a pet who would look like a big fat burrito to a 6 foot rattler.

K

katbastard

we have ton of rattlers down here, i kill and eat the every chance i get. but to be honest, they are more afraid of you then you are of them, if you slowly walk away from them, they will go on their marry way. sleep in a tent and you dont have to worry about anything in your sleep, inless its a pretty warm night the snakes will be in bed also.

View attachment 24604
here is a pic of the snake i killed the other day, it made an awesome chilli

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
I usually piss a ring aroudn where i'm sleeping. I've been told it works for snakes and I figure it works with coyotes and stuff too. Don't know if it's true, but it makes me feel a little safer. If you're totally freaked, get a little tent.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
I was sleeping in a big storm drain in New Mexico when I heard light foot steps. I sat up and was face to face with a coyote. We both sat there stunned and looked at each other for a few seconds before he ran off. If I had a dog, I would have been warned.
My only wild animal encounter in the desert was in Arizona where I had stopped for the night in a little wooded area not too far from the highway. In the middle of the night I woke up to the sound of animals which I thought were dogs. There were about a dozen of them standing around on the little trail I had come in on. But then, strangely, I realized that all of them were snorting. This was extremely confusing to me at the time because I had no idea about the wild pigs aka javelinas that inhabit the Southwest. They eventually all turned around and went the other direction but that was pretty funny to get woken up by a pack of them! Here is a smiling javelina piglet, obviously getting spoiled by someone.
javelina_baby.jpg

venusinpisces

Reaction score
javelina are MEAN. you might think it's funny, but you're quite lucky. I'd much rather have a run in with coyotes.
Yeah, I had no idea they were dangerous then and would probably be a little more wary at this point. But at the time I was super excited to see them and I guess they found that intimidating. :D

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads