deleted | Squat the Planet
Status
Not open for further replies.

salxtina

Reaction score
^ Rolls up into other people's homes, makes disparaging comments about their race, curses about how third-world they are (knew Haiti was an underdeveloped country before going there, no?) while taking free rides from them (just get a taxi, dude, or pay gas, I'm sure the prices are way lower than anything you'd pay in the States, and whatever small amount you pay will be worth way more to local drivers) and uses their poverty as a prop to shame/shock a presumed first-world middle-class audience, without bothering to communicate with the people you're filming about how they experience their own living conditions (sometimes low-tech/ghetto-rigged solutions can actually be quite nice, but if you talked to people respectfully about the deprivation they do experience, you might hear that it's orchestrated by first-world governments who artificially depress wages, force privatization thru conditional loans, and so on.)

Babo

Reaction score
I think he was freaking the hell out in this video. If had money when I was a dumb kid it's possible I would have tried something so crazy. It's not a political video though, don't think it was meant to be. It's just cool footage of some kid in over his head in Haiti. I love it.

Reactions: Frodo and Tude

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
right or wrong, i wish people would stand up to criticism instead of collapsing under the weight of one naysayer. i can't even decide for myself since the video has been removed from youtube by the user, and that's pretty lame.

salxtina

Reaction score
Aw, poor kid, you just wanted free range to entertain yourself in other people's lives, and it's sooo cruel that somebody went and told you non-entertaining facts about the things you were dealing with. Look, your life is political whether you like it or not, it happens in a culture bigger than you, and there's no way out of that.

• Haha
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Frodo

Reaction score
Aw, poor kid, you just wanted free range to entertain yourself in other people's lives, and it's sooo cruel that somebody went and told you non-entertaining facts about the things you were dealing with. Look, your life is political whether you like it or not, it happens in a culture bigger than you, and there's no way out of that.
People would not really care about a random kid wondering around. if anything it would be entertaining to them seeing a random foreigner. sure it would be good for the economy for him to spend more of his money, but i don't think that is necessarily a person's responsibility, even if it is the nice or right thing to do.

and with the free-range entertainment, I mean isn't this all we as vagabond's are doing? wondering and experiencing the world as it comes? coming and going through different lives as we please? when you try to follow every unintended consequence of your benign actions, like staying in haiti, you end up going crazy, walking on eggshells, too immobilized to live because you fear harming those around you. it becomes impossible to do anything but be a shut in. that to me is not a good way to live, and i know since i have been in that head space before.

at the end of the day, I have to trust in people, even those in abject poverty, to look after themselves, so those little disturbances i cause, does not end up harming them. If you can say one thing about Haitians, it is that they are tough and resilient, and one third world tourist is not going to ruin them. Just because you come from a place of privilege does not mean the the third world trembles and stops before you, or that you automatically owe all those people something.

salxtina

Reaction score
Yeah, sure, but I don't disrespect people everywhere I go, insult them while depending on their generosity, and call people "too political" when they tell me what's really going down.

Reactions: briancray

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Other than making inferences from the posts critical of OP's original content the details of what this thread and vid were about are gone. That is a bit annoying. Even the title was changed to "deleted".

I would hope the OP would bring back the content eh?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
eh, this seems kinda pointless now, so i'm going to lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads