Decent, compact videocam? | Squat the Planet

Decent, compact videocam?

Alaska

Reaction score
Hey, basically, I've decided I'm tired of all the drunkie bullshit and now seem to need to have a goal this time around to get me motivated. I've given it lots of thought, and I've decided I'm going to film. Interviews with kids, businesses in popular hub-towns, footage from rides, etc.

Been watching a lot of videos recently, but none of them on us, really. The kids in the scene. All crustlords, oogles, newbies, vets, and survivalists alike. Kind of what I'm aiming for. I really hope it doesn't fail too horribly.

So, I was wondering if any of you know of a pretty decent-quality somewhat smaller cam with some form of image stabilization? Or, better, a website to get me started?

and no, not google. smart-asses.

Kind of new at this, so yeah. Thanks, tech-wizards. Hope to see ya all in folk-life, where I'm gonna end up shooting first.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
All my train videos are shot on a Kodak ZX1. It's a pocket camcorder a la the Flip Cams, but I think it defeats the Flips because it's got expandable memory and more shooting modes.

Unfortunately, it has NO image stabilization, as you can see in some of my riding shots. Used it for stills (interviews, etc) a lot for work stuff and it got the job done, but if you're doing lots of jerky movement, it's going to be nauseating. One piece of advice I have is to get a tripod/monopod/whatever.

For $300, you could get a GoPro camera (GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports). That's likely going to be my next big purchase. They're made for action sports, so they've got intense stabilization. Check the videos! You can use them pretty easily for interviews, too, I'd imagine. Lots of people use Go Pros - check YouTube for people's uploads to get an idea of image quality, etc.

Those are my best suggestions; I really don't know a whole hell of a lot about camcorders. :/

Alaska

Reaction score
Oh shit, I was just watching a bunch of your videos last night. Haha, kind of was the final nail in the coffin for me deciding to risk an expensive piece of equipment for art on the road. Figured "hell, why not? better experience everywhere I go behind a cam lens than behind beer-goggles and vomit".

But yeah, thanks, man. Definitely gonna check out the GoPro. Would be nice to make enough money for that and the accessories before folk-life.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I feel like the GoPro (or even my pocket camcorder) are nice because they aren't excessively flashy. It's rarely a problem for me; I almost never kick it in jungles or with people I don't know, but either way, I don't like looking like a target.

Also, just make sure you've got a nice case. The GoPro is meant to be used for motocross and skating and the like, so it's pretty tough as is.

Rambler

Reaction score
I bought a HD flip cam last year and am deaply in love with it, well for the most part. If you know anything about shooting with natural light you can actually get some awesome HD shots but its also great for party cams and such. Cost me about 200 I think. I also glued a 37mm ring adapter onto it so I can attach a fisheye. I def bringing it along with me.

Wolf

Reaction score
I'm jealous of you guys with your video cams. I have a decent digital camera I use for photography, but it's video capabilities aren't too good, gotten worse over time too. Maybe I can get my parents to pull some shit and get me one for my birthday, yup, white middle class moochin'.

Rambler

Reaction score
For $300, you could get a GoPro camera (GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports). That's likely going to be my next big purchase. They're made for action sports, so they've got intense stabilization. Check the videos! You can use them pretty easily for interviews, too, I'd imagine. Lots of people use Go Pros - check YouTube for people's uploads to get an idea of image quality, etc.

Those are my best suggestions; I really don't know a whole hell of a lot about camcorders. :/

Those things can seriously go underwater to and you can clip them onto like anything from what I hear.

bailgun

Reaction score
only problem with the gopro-NO ZOOM. once they get that little hassle handled, i'm getting one. and they have a cool waterproof case for them that's also a fisheye.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads