Question Crossing from us to canada

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Not an option at this point unfortunately

background/context would help. is this because of legal issues or financial issues? are you going to be denied a passport because of prior criminal history?

heroinjane

Reaction score
Yeah I can't exactly go and get one because of warrants here for shit that is insane for them to even be legally trying to come after me in the first place and the us is trash and have no cares in the world about victims of sexual assault who are more than just harassed by the abuser after they are out of prison, and quite frankly I don't feel as though I should have to explain myself when I've begged and begged them to do something so I'm not forced to live in fear by the same man who when I was a child ruined my life. The us has no sense of being morally accountable for their own actions and trying to defeat them in court will just wind me up in a jail. Especially when I'm there telling them they are at fault. Maybe if I had funds for a decent lawyer if I'm lucky but I don't really feel like putting faith that the us justice system will be dependable to get the truth especially when they fucked up.

Unless you really really need to cross now, you should wait until it is an option. The consequences are not worth it.

I really need to escape some pretty gnarly shitty things that even if I told you would seem like bullshit. Rather than place trust in the justice system I'd rather leave this incompetent land of fucking idiots and take my chances that way

No one is going to just write out that kind of information on a publically viewable forum such as this.

I reccomend crossing legally.

Hopefully not I would like to assume they would be intelligent enough to contact me privately and have you. Seems a fairly simple thing to come to a pretty easy solution but who knows right lol

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: marymemarryme

pcflvly

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
A friend of mine hopped across two years ago. The trick is to get off the train before the first yard. She then hopped all the way across the country and walked back into the states. It's not that hard. I walked across back in the eighties myself. It's not like I had a plan, I just found a side road and then a trail.

Anyway, Canada isn't a liberal paradise that's going to take care of you. It's a hard life there and there's not much of a social safety net. At least have a contact before you go.

While crossing the US/Canada border illigally is not hard, you should get a passport. The stakes are too high.

Which stakes are so high? People cross borders illegally all the time. It's a 21st century thing in many ways...

Unless you really really need to cross now, you should wait until it is an option. The consequences are not worth it.

The only consequence is deportation. Canada does not make it a criminal offense to hop the border. However, if they do catch you and you have a US criminal record, they will for sure kick you out. Yeah, just keep your head down. They don't do internal checkpoints or anything.

Reactions: heroinjane and Jone

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
If you're not a citizen life here will be significantly harder. Background checks are part of citizenship so you'd most likely be flagged right away. Depending on what your warrants are for, a deportation may result in you being handed over and held by US customs until they can get you back for the warrant. Not saying it's impossible to cross you do you but this could make a lot of trouble for yourself.

ali

Reaction score
This thread has popped up so many times. The short answer is yes, some people cross the US/Canada border undocumented and get away with it. Other people attempt to cross and get busted. A few attempt to cross in the backcountry and die because they aren't prepared to hike the backcountry. Look at a map, consider your options.

The thing is, for most people, getting a US passport is a small cost in exchange for the huge privilege of being able to travel freely not just across one border but almost 200 other ones for the next 10 years. If you don't have extenuating circumstances that prevent it, a passport from a country like the US is one of the best things a traveler can have in their back pocket, because it unlocks a literal world of opportunities. That is why people recommend it as the first choice.

Canada is a nice place to visit and a nice place to live, but if you really plan on emigrating and not just swinging through to bum around for a while, that's even more reason to get your paperwork in order. Immigration is a massive, bureaucratic pain in the ass, and there are no short cuts. Even arriving as an asylum seeker involves a lot of paperwork and legal wrangling. Remaining undocumented for long periods only really works if you don't mind always living under the radar. If you're trying to escape legal problems then maybe going overseas where you risk more legal problems will only add to the anxiety? I don't know, maybe not. Good luck to you either way.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Yeah I can't exactly go and get one because of warrants here for shit that is insane for them to even be legally trying to come after me in the first place and the us is trash and have no cares in the world about victims of sexual assault who are more than just harassed by the abuser after they are out of prison, and quite frankly I don't feel as though I should have to explain myself when I've begged and begged them to do something so I'm not forced to live in fear by the same man who when I was a child ruined my life. The us has no sense of being morally accountable for their own actions and trying to defeat them in court will just wind me up in a jail. Especially when I'm there telling them they are at fault. Maybe if I had funds for a decent lawyer if I'm lucky but I don't really feel like putting faith that the us justice system will be dependable to get the truth especially when they fucked up.

I'm gonna assume those legal troubles are more than misdemeanors (i.e. felonies); if so, then yeah, you're kinda boned on doing things legally. If they're not felonies, I'd try to sort them out and go about things the legal way. As some folks mentioned though, Canada might not be your best choice, depending on what you want to do.

That aside, if you can find a copy of the crew change guide (don't ask here, it's against the rules) just follow the directions for hopping through new york state to montreal. If you need more details, DM me.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads