Crap I'm taking when I leave.

Boneless

Reaction score
So I got really bored the other day at school and started writing a list of the shit that I'm planning on taking with me when I finally leave. I wanted to know what you guys think of it.

In bag:
4 pairs of socks
2 underwear
1 long pants
1 long sleeve shirt
sleeping bag
1 tarp (and a couple o' tent pegs)
1 small pot/wok
couple books for reading
journal to write/draw in
1 roll of toilet paper
sewing stuff (dental floss and a few needles)
3m of paracord
Small fishing kit (hooks, sinkers, line)
3 or 4 carabineer's
teeth cleaning stuff
Water purification tabs
Food (Jerky, beans, chilli powder)
Gallon of water

On person:
Multi-tool
Slingshot
what little cash and I.D. I have
lighter
compass
ear plugs

Wearing:
Bandana
Cargo shorts
T shirt
fingerless gloves
leather jacket
boots

Strider

Reaction score
All sounds good to me. Do you have anything to actually heat the pot with? I have a alcohol burning stove I made out of a couple soda cans. There's instructionals online about how to make them. Also, you should think about having some first aid equipment. You never know when you might need it. Also, you should have something for self defense. I carry a knife and a smiley at my hip. Also some soap is useful. I like dr bronners. you only need a little bit of it because it's super concentrated. You can use dr bronners for cleaning your body/hair/teeth/dishes. And it's all natural and pretty cheap.

Strider

Reaction score
And for the socks, either nylon or wool is best. Not cotton. They don't stink/crust up so much, and they dry out quick. wool is better than nylon though because it will stay toasty even when wet

Reactions: spoorprint

Boneless

Reaction score
All sounds good to me. Do you have anything to actually heat the pot with? I have a alcohol burning stove I made out of a couple soda cans. There's instructionals online about how to make them. Also, you should think about having some first aid equipment. You never know when you might need it. Also, you should have something for self defense. I carry a knife and a smiley at my hip. Also some soap is useful. I like dr bronners. you only need a little bit of it because it's super concentrated. You can use dr bronners for cleaning your body/hair/teeth/dishes. And it's all natural and pretty cheap.
I'm probably going to carry a smiley cause you can't carry a knife of any kind here without getting charged with possession of a deadly weapon if you get caught with it

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Not traveling yet, but ...
Also, you should think about having some first aid equipment.
Yes, very much important. Don't forget a small bottle of disinfectant (suitable for wounds). Even a small wound can get you in trouble if you don't care. And in case, the next doctor or emergency room isn't around the corner ...
You never know when you might need it. Also, you should have something for self defense. I carry a knife and a smiley at my hip.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a smiley (other than :)) ...? I wouldn't carry a knife unless it's a) legal and b) I know how to use it for self defense.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
A smiley is a chain or a bandanna with a padlock on the end. Kinda like a slock.
Okay, thanks. Sounds good since neither bandanas/chains nor padlocks are considered to be deadly weapons. ;) But anyway, as I always say: when you pull a weapon of any kind you should a) be ready to use it and b) know to use it for self defense. Otherwise the chance to fail (and/or deliver a weapon to your otherwise maybe unarmed opponent) is quite high I guess.
Edit: someone feeling save just by carrying whatever kind of weapon in my humble opinion is just like someone thinking he/she becomes a great photographer just by buying an expensive digital SLR ... ;)

Reactions: Darion

Boneless

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. Sounds good since neither bandanas/chains nor padlocks are considered to be deadly weapons. ;) But anyway, as I always say: when you pull a weapon of any kind you should a) be ready to use it and b) know to use it for self defense. Otherwise the chance to fail (and/or deliver a weapon to your otherwise maybe unarmed opponent) is quite high I guess.
Edit: someone feeling save just by carrying whatever kind of weapon in my humble opinion is just like someone thinking he/she becomes a great photographer just by buying an expensive digital SLR ... ;)
I think the cops in the US know about smileys though, there was a thing going around a while ago about how they would confiscate them if you didn't have the key to the lock.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
I think the cops in the US know about smileys though,
Well, yes, I guess ... If you know about it and others here ... ;)
there was a thing going around a while ago about how they would confiscate them if you didn't have the key to the lock.
Maybe, but you can keep the chain and the lock separately unless you want to "make" a smiley. And to have the key is a good idea, since you could use the lock to ... lock something. :)
I think even if cops suspect you have those items for other then the "intended" use, you could always say you need the chain and the lock to secure your backpack or alike. Isn't only a threadbare excuse, but makes sense actually. :)
Thanks again for explanation ...

K

Kim Chee

You don't need to take toilet paper...you can get paper towels from many restaurants, libraries, etc.
Get wet naps from the dollah store.
Take nail clippers.
Bring more paracord...3m wont get you far, take 100' and you can use it to suspend your tarp.

wrkrsunite

Reaction score
Don't take earplugs the sound of trains becomes a part of you and off trains you don't want home bums sneaking up on you. And after you pack everything in whatever space is left fill with socks, as many as you can fit.

• Haha
Reactions: Strider

Strider

Reaction score
Not traveling yet, but ...
I wouldn't carry a knife unless it's a) legal and b) I know how to use it for self defense.

Put it this way, have someone try to stab you with a red felt marker as many times as they can, while you at the same time, try to defend yourself or disarm them. You will quickly be covered in little red marks. Knives are some of the most effective and most easy to use close quarter weapons there are. I've heard military people say that they'd rather be attacked with a pistol at close quarters range than a knife. But yeah only if it's legal should you carry one.

Strider

Reaction score
But anyway, as I always say: when you pull a weapon of any kind you should a) be ready to use it and b) know to use it for self defense. Otherwise the chance to fail (and/or deliver a weapon to your otherwise maybe unarmed opponent) is quite high I guess.
100% you should be ready to use it. Do not pull anything unless you are just about to use it. Brandishing something around to scare someone is dangerous. To be honest these things are only for the very last resort. Always escape the situation if possible.

Reactions: Boneless

Art101

Reaction score
Socks...excellent advice and pack them in a gallon ziplock, keeps the clean ones dry also get some foot powder works wonders, baby powder works great too.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
1)Flashlight (or headlight preferably).
2)ducktape! (you can roll some duct tape around a pencil/pen if you really need to save on space) - good to have for making quick repairs (i.e. if your tarp gets torn)
3)something that plays music for when you are bored or tired of reading/writing

Reactions: Strider

Strider

Reaction score
1)Flashlight (or headlight preferably).
2)ducktape! (you can roll some duct tape around a pencil/pen if you really need to save on space) - good to have for making quick repairs (i.e. if your tarp gets torn)
3)something that plays music for when you are bored or tired of reading/writing
I can't believe I forgot to mention duct tape. It holds the universe together you know.

Art101

Reaction score
Me 2 totally spaced the universal fixal. Books are good if you have the space. I usually carry one or two with me but then again I love to read and it passes the time nicely.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads