corona virus: leave town and go to the woods a bit | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

corona virus: leave town and go to the woods a bit

D

Deleted member 13433

Yesterday late afternoon, I had to get some more acupuncture done for my back, and my doctor really loaded me up to make my immune system real strong [her words...] but I noticed a real decrease in traffic during rush hour.

I'm about to do my weekly grocery store run, and I am not looking forwards to it.

NewMexicoJim

High mileage, good condition.
Reaction score
As this evolves and the disease spreads, the response will intensify. The government will implement more restrictions on people's movements and try to prop up the economy with massive infusions of cash. Hospitals will be pushed to the limit, quarantines and shelter-in-place orders will increase.

So far, the supply chain is strong and goods are being delivered as long as there are people well enough to work. Shortages of medical supplies are putting health care workers at risk. Hoarding is keeping goods flying off the shelf and stores are altering hours and imposing buying limits on certain goods.

Public venues continue to close and limits are put on public gathereings. Restaurants are closing, airlines are canceling flights, cruise lines and tour operators are at a near standstill. It is estimated that 20% of the workforce has already been severely impacted by layoffs and cutbacks.
Wall Street continues it's free-fall and the government is planning massive bailouts for affected businesses. Unemployment could reach as high as 20% without significant intervention.

Disruptions to daily life due to the spread and impact of the virus could last as long as another 18 months. Economists now admit a severe recession is inevitable with the current Bear market. Direct cash payments to individuals of up to $2000 are being proposed. Cities are states are closing schools and providing meals to students. Homeless populations are severely impacted with shelters and meal providers closing or imposing restrictions. Food is harder to find and social distancing increases isolation.

This is just the beginning and we are seeing remarkable changes happening very quickly. The disease is bad but most people will recover. People with chronic health conditions are most at risk. The long term economic effects will be felt for years.

Stay safe everyone. Be kind to each other. It's going to be a rough ride.

Hudson

Reaction score
Shit really cant hit the fan too hard, we are not idiots.

If it gets real bad go out to the woods and plant some seeds. Its not hard to do. Scavenge until you can eat.

LuckyMinnie

Reaction score
I really wish they'd put more emphasis on things like learning how to grow your own food, for curriculum in schools. That's a damn important skill set to learn for if shit really hits the fan one day.

I love the middle school I went to in Alaska. Every year, as part of the credit towards your Science Final grade, the whole 8th grade class goes on an almost 3 day long survival trip where you are only allowed to bring a sleeping bag and whatever you could fit in a coffee can. Ask anyone who went to that school what the highlight of their school years there was, and they will say the Survival Trip! Those are the kinds of courses we need more of in schools IMO
That sounds like a hell of a great school. If schools were like that around here, I would never home school my children.

LuckyMinnie

Reaction score

If it gets real bad go out to the woods and plant some seeds. Its not hard to do. Scavenge until you can eat.
That actually sounds very hard to do. Especially for people with kids. One of mine is in college. 4.0 GPA. Majoring in mathematics. She's smart as fuck and the first in our family to go to college. Now we just need to go to the woods and plant seeds? I don't think so. It's getting harder to provide because of the restrictions. Her classes are going to be online for the rest of the semester. Honestly, I don't know what I will do if things get harder. If I can't pay rent, idk. But I know I won't run. I will stay and fight. This shit can't ruin our whole lives. College is her ticket to following her dreams and never having to be poor again. I will stay and fight. Do you know what the hoaders are doing? They are buying up all the cleaning supplies and rice and then posting it for sale. I sell jewelry I make. Usually in a parking lot, just asking if peoplle want to buy it. As such, I see a lot of what goes on. Parking lots has become a common place for people who posted items for sale to make their transaction. Because you don't want to give strangers your home address. From time to time I see people doing transactions. Usually it's electronics items or a puppy. Well, the other day I saw someone with a trunk full of cleaning supplies and rice. There's a lot of enterprising individuals with no sense of right and wrong out there. I for one am not willing to just turn and run. They are doing this so openly and without shame. I wonder how things will be for the hoaders if people start getting too hungry.

donguri

Reaction score
just thinking long term worst case scenario. for those concerned about food in the SE, once the farmers get the corn and soybean crops growing you'll be able to guerilla harvest this summer (dry it and find two rocks to grind it up to cook on a fire.) and remember acorn nuts in the fall will feed you through the winter (just shell, boil for several hours, completely dry roast on the fire/oven, and grind up into flour to eat--but store nuts in shell for longer storage life, process as you need 'em). Or if in the desert areas i'll just remind ya about pinyon pine.

I'm a fool that learned the hard way, fuck dumpstering, buying from stores, and eating society's shit, harvest instead wholesome food from the earth. All capitalist societies are run by sadists that get off forcing people to eat the delicacy of shit--whether food, media, pulp books, religion--its all shit, stop eating it people. (like I really need to tell y'all this, but normal people just give you a blank stare).

youngbuckwithapickuptruck

Reaction score
norcal hobo

i have already gotten to the woods. they are closing the woods but i am on private property.

does anyone have a guide on growing food here for this region? i should google this. it is a property between the central valley and some
big mountains above us. a big river flowing behind us. flat land around us the soil is red, dusty and very rocky and shallow. im sure many of you have grown weed here.

any guides? no seeds but lots of neighbors and it is springtime!

google searches for food northern california growing guide or just any basic printable guide yeileded pintrest and anazon book sales. can anyone quickly recommend a general survival food growing guide?

is there a corona virus general thread on here that i am un aware of?

meeep

Reaction score
i know i can survive out my truck for a month easy. thinking about ditching oakland and taking off to the woods, sooner than later. maybe grab one the camping fresh water mabobbers. i learned the art of preserving food cuase i would also bulk buy on ebt in my county before taking off for ~3months at a time.

hmmmmm

The coop I work at in OR has taken all bulk off the floor to be packaged. No replacement orders are being made. Just a heads up.

r3yn

Reaction score
Me, sitting in month 3 of forced quarantine in China, watching the "free" west deal with their hysteria and consumerist madness and trying to "suggest" a quarantine:

Attachments

• jon-popcorn.gif
    jon-popcorn.gif
    343.2 KB · Views: 264

Hudson

Reaction score
norcal hobo

i have already gotten to the woods. they are closing the woods but i am on private property.

does anyone have a guide on growing food here for this region? i should google this. it is a property between the central valley and some
big mountains above us. a big river flowing behind us. flat land around us the soil is red, dusty and very rocky and shallow. im sure many of you have grown weed here.

any guides? no seeds but lots of neighbors and it is springtime!

google searches for food northern california growing guide or just any basic printable guide yeileded pintrest and anazon book sales. can anyone quickly recommend a general survival food growing guide?

is there a corona virus general thread on here that i am un aware of?

Where are you in Norcal? I've spent most of my life in the Sierra nevadas outside tahoe national forest. You can grow almost anything out here. Primary concerns should be a water source, firearm and some kind of method to keep deer from eating your garden.

And yeah the forests are all closed off but its public property. They can't stop you from escaping this mess by going into the woods. Just don't start a forest fire please.

First thing i did when all this started happening was buy a new backpacking water filter and gassed up my truck and packed my bugout bag. You can buy seed packages on Amazon that have thousands of seeds. just store them somewhere dry and dark. Most stay good for a long time except onions. Onion seeds only last like a year.

Shaggy Rogers

Reaction score
I live north georgia, technically private property (renting), and some land out the back. This shits got me watching my neighbors more closely. I'm not getting sick because the human race is fucking stupid. Just everyone separate until they find a cure. We are in a fucking video game and there's no second life. This is hardcore mode bro

MFB

Reaction score
This gave me a great idea for a new business called
When the Shit Hits the Fan
Where I will sell only toilets and ceiling fans.

Shaggy Rogers

Reaction score
We can always just disappear for a year in the Canadian wilderness and build a cabin in the woods by a lake until this blows over
I wouldnt mind a homebase in the wilderness. But i have to move around everntually (vacations sure), too restless staying still. But hell yea

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads