2016 Jamboree Cops killed in Palm Springs, CA

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2016 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score

Three Palm Springs police officers were shot Saturday, at least one fatally, while responding to a family disturbance, prompting a large manhunt for suspects.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-palm-springs-shooting-20161008-snap-story.html

Two Palms Springs police officers fatally shot, another injured in family disturbance call

Palm Springs police officers search for a suspect on Bahada Road after three Palm Springs officers were shot, two of which were killed (Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times)
Ruben Vives, Matt Stevens, Brian van der Brug, Richard Winton and Marisa Gerber
Two Palms Springs police officers were fatally shot and another wounded Saturday while responding to family disturbance call, and a SWAT team remains at the scene, police said.

The shooting occurred when the officers responded to the scene near the corner of Racquet Club Road and Sunrise Way about noon, authorities said.

“The officers were near the front door,” an emotional Police Chief Bryan Reyes told reporters during an afternoon news conference. “They were responding to a simple family disturbance and [the gunman] elected to open fire on the guardians of this city.”

He identified the two victims as Officer Jose Gilbert Vega and Officer Lelsey Zerebny. He did not give the condition of the third officer, who was being treated at a hospital.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: autumn

creature

Banned
Reaction score
a bit of an assumption, perhaps, but if they don't find the primary suspect within 12 hours, they'll widen the dragnet immensely for a cop killer.

hitching or unrecognized funky vehicles & checkpoints will be points of scrutiny..

baying hounds..

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
I added the article text to the original post. @creature don't forget to do this when you post new articles to the forums buddy! :)

Do you think that this incident would bring more of a crackdown in police activity in the Slabs? I think the two are far enough away that it won't affect the area much, personally...

creature

Banned
Reaction score
Ah.. sorry about that.. gotcha..

only if they don't find the perp within 12 - 24 hrs, and if they don't have a good assessment of his direction..

this isn't civilian multiple murder, this is a 3 officer cop shooting.. i don't see raids or anything, i just think there might be heightened scrutiny of travelers, unrecognized vehicles, increased patrols & scrutiny at checkpoints..

i understand that the Brawley cops are not too bad in the Slabs, and even a good thing, perhaps, at appropriate moments, but if there's no capture i'd think anyplace that has resources for transients would be checked out more heavily than usual..

i'm not posting this to impart any fear, just mentioning that a little extra caution might be good for anyone on their way or passing through..

-make sure your registration card is on hand, proof of insurance, take extra care with personal items, don't drive so casually to 'justify' a pull-over, etc..

Reactions: EphemeralStick

creature

Banned
Reaction score
but.. in consideration.. yeah, it was a family disturbance & not something like a drive by shooting...

& yer right.. the efforts will concentrate locally, for sure..
the main thing, for farther repercussions, is how long it takes to find the shooter..

Last edited:

creature

Banned
Reaction score
Update,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...3-police-officers-killing-2-injuring-a-third/

Excerpts:

Police in Palm Springs, Calif., captured a suspect early Sunday who had opened fire 12 hours earlier on three officers who were trying to negotiate with him after a domestic disturbance call. Two officers were killed and the third was injured....

Police said the man fired through a closed door without provocation as the officers were attempting to resolve the situation peacefully.

The officers killed were Lesley Zerebny, 27, and Jose Gilbert “Gil” Vega.

Zerebny had recently returned from maternity leave and was the mother of a 4-month-old.

Vega, a 35-year veteran, was scheduled to retire in December. He had chosen to work overtime Saturday.

They were the first Palm Springs police officers to die in the line of duty since 1962. The department has about 98 officers and prides itself on a community-policing program that Palm Springs Police Chief Jose Bryan Reyes said had succeeded in minimizing violence for years.

Full text below:

The Washington Post

Suspect ready to ‘shoot all the police’ captured after killing 2 officers in Palm Springs
By Fred Barbash October 9 at 6:46 AM

Officers Leslie Zerebny and Jose Vega were killed. (Palm Springs Police Department via AP)

Police in Palm Springs, Calif., captured a suspect early Sunday who had opened fire 12 hours earlier on three officers who were trying to negotiate with him after a domestic disturbance call. Two officers were killed and the third was injured.

The suspect reportedly had told his father moments before the shooting that he wanted to kill police officers.

Police said the man fired through a closed door without provocation as the officers were attempting to resolve the situation peacefully.

The officers killed were Lesley Zerebny, 27, and Jose Gilbert “Gil” Vega.
Officers point to a home on Cypress Road after gunshots were fired in Palm Springs, Calif., Saturday, Oct. 8, 2016. Two Palm Springs police officers trying to resolve a family dispute were shot to death when a man they had been speaking calmly with suddenly pulled out a gun and opened fire on them, the city's police chief told reporters. (Omar Ornelas/The Desert Sun via AP)

Zerebny had recently returned from maternity leave and was the mother of a 4-month-old. She was married to a Riverside County sheriff’s deputy. A SWAT team from her husband’s department participated in efforts to capture the suspect, and ultimately did so after an exchange of gunfire early Sunday morning, according to a statement from the sheriff’s department.

The department identified the suspect as John Felix, 26, who was treated for non life-threatening injuries. Felix, reported the Palm Springs Desert Sun, was a “known gang member” with a criminal record.

Vega, a 35-year veteran, was scheduled to retire in December. He had chosen to work overtime Saturday.

They were the first Palm Springs police officers to die in the line of duty since 1962. The department has about 98 officers and prides itself on a community-policing program that Palm Springs Police Chief Jose Bryan Reyes said had succeeded in minimizing violence for years.

The officers were called to the home just after an occupant had rushed across the street in a panic, telling a neighbor that his son had a gun and wanted to shoot police. “He came over and asked for help,” neighbor Frances Serrano told reporters.

“He said: ‘Help. I need help. My son is in the house and he’s crazy. He has a gun. He’s ready to shoot all the police.'”

The man walked back to his house and shortly afterward, Serrano said, she heard repeated gunshots “starting with a loud, I mean really loud, bang.”

Reyes, the police chief, choking back tears and his voice shaking with emotion, told a news conference that the officers responded to a plea from an “adult caller” at 12:18 p.m. local time. The caller said her son was “causing a disturbance.”

As officers were attempting to talk to the man behind the door, he “threatened to shoot the officers” through it. Then he opened fire, gunning down the officers.

“Today Palm Springs lost two brave officers,” Reyes said at the news conference. “They go out every day with their boots on the ground. They gave their all for you.

“… I am awake in a nightmare right now. … If ever there was a time to pray for the Palm Springs police department, it is now.”

Dozens of officers from surrounding jurisdictions responded to an emergency call about 10 minutes after the first one, surrounding the house and sealing off a four-block perimeter, uncertain as to the whereabouts of the shooter and warning residents to stay inside.

“There were police everywhere,” Serrano told reporters. “I looked out the window and saw police with rifles.”

Juan Graciano, 67, who lives a block away, told the Los Angeles Times he saw police attempting to revive Zerebny. “I saw a woman officer who had been laid down in the trunk of a police cruiser. I watched as they picked her up and laid her down on the street and began administering CPR.”

Another neighbor told reporters of hearing more rounds of gunfire that continued for up to 20 minutes. “We stayed indoors,” Georgie Eden told the Times. “It was kind of, pretty scary.”

The Riverside County Sheriff’s department, in a statement, said “the suspect refused to surrender and exchanged gunfire with officers as he barricaded himself in his residence.”

About 12 hours later, the sheriff’s Department issued a statement saying that “after a lengthy standoff, the suspect surrendered” to deputies from a SWAT team. He was identified as Palm Springs resident John Felix. The release said he received non-life threatening injuries and was treated at a local hospital.”

He will be booked on “two counts of murder on a peace officer,” the sheriff’s office said.

The Palm Springs Desert Sun described the suspect as a “known gang member,” who spent four years in prison for a 2009 attempted murder plot. He was also arrested in 2013, the paper said, after fighting with police at the same home where Saturday’s shooting took place.

The officer who was hospitalized was alert and talking, the police chief said.

“They were responding to a simple family disturbance,” Reyes said. The man “elected to open fire.”

Reactions: Matt Derrick
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads