Considering the nomad lifestyle | Squat the Planet

Considering the nomad lifestyle

jimmyf

Reaction score
Well I'm considering this life on the road for my first time. Grew up to a fairly well off family, but it's not easy living under their roof. I have a college degree, and I still just couldn't seem to make it in the real world. I sold drugs for a couple years, and I made a ton of money, but I still hated my life, so I cashed out and gave my money away. Now I don't drink or do drugs any more, I just smoke tree. I did my twelve steps years ago, but I found my own Spirituality that works for me.

I may have lost my mind, or I may not have. It's hard to tell who's normal or sane in this world sometimes. I've always been the guy on the outside of every circle. Misfit at heart, but I always dressed more like your standard American I guess. I'm over doing the whole song and dance required to live in society. I don't want to try and impress anyone in an interview any more. I just wanna spread the love and avoid the haters.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome!

Reactions: jimmyf

jimmyf

Reaction score
I'm not in it for the traveling to be honest. I'm just in it to get away from the brainwash of society. I turned down a cruise to Alaska with my parents and brother last June. However, if I came across some people who wanted me to join them on a road trip somewhere, I'd be in. I'm thinking I'm going to dip my toes in the water at the slabs first. I can see how I like it, and go from there I guess.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Slab City eh? That's less of a "dipping toes" thing than it is a "dive in head first" thing. Still, it's not uncommon for greenhorns to head there first and foremost. Be sure to read up on it as much as possible, there are numerous threads that will give you an idea of what you'll need to make it out there; all just as search away.

Best of luck to ya!

jimmyf

Reaction score
Thanks, I've been doing a lot of reading, and it's only 4 hours away from my parent's house who would literally rather pay part of my rent somewhere else than have me do this. I also still have my car which should be good for shelter, but I can't just drive all over the place, or I'll run out of money and gas way too quick. I'll still be doing more reading though. Good luck to you too my friend!

Reactions: EphemeralStick
D

Deleted member 20

Welcome to STP. I am sobah myself but dont smoke. I go to AA but never worried about taking the steps. Id rather perilously scale the fucking triangle of recovery. I am a long time, part time traveller with far left leaning practices & beliefs. I only travel about 2-3 months a year & like to be around those who are more closer to being my clan on STP. I dont fit in anywhere perfectly but STP is a decent fit. Much of my live is a sort of an intentional spiritual exercise away from the mainstream wage slave death of capitalism. I live a somewhat balanced life & connect with others trying to do the same. While many here are candidates for sobriety there are few here who are sober & or in active recovery. Glad to meet another who is challenging themself to grow & evolve away from the limiting negativity of booze & drug addiction.

jimmyf

Reaction score
Amen to that brotha. I revolve more around the Old Testament of the Bible these days in my spirituality, but you'd be surprised at how similar AA can be if looked at in the right light.

D

Deleted member 20

I never let theology get in the way of my spirituality. I never let AA get in the way of my recovery either. Most times I achieve a sort of equanimity with everything kinda being in harmony. If I go to too many meetings it gets off & if I don't go too enough the same thing. My mad hybrid collection of philosophy & theology just work. Glad that you too are on the path.

Last edited:

noothgrush

Reaction score
Thanks, I've been doing a lot of reading, and it's only 4 hours away from my parent's house who would literally rather pay part of my rent somewhere else than have me do this. I also still have my car which should be good for shelter, but I can't just drive all over the place, or I'll run out of money and gas way too quick. I'll still be doing more reading though. Good luck to you too my friend!
Parents are weird. Everytime I visit mine they bitch about me living out of a backpack and call me a loser for not working at the local mill and having a boring predictable life like all my old friends and relatives. Small town live fucks peoples heads up.

jimmyf

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that. It's unfortunate. It's hard to tell who's right and who's wrong in this world. I'll leave that up to God at a time like this. I mean what really makes someone a loser? Our entire society could be filled with losers, and we could be the winners in God's Eyes. However, none of us really know lol

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Our entire society is full of losers... sheeple doing what there told...

classwarmonger

Reaction score
Whats up dude! Im new here too. Like you, my parents see being unemployed next to being a rapist! Gonna hit tha road soon. If you're headed to slab city i might actually see you there!

jimmyf

Reaction score
Nice, I should be heading out tomorrow. Hopefully, I make it before sun down. I have errands I can't run until my car is back in my name which my parents want to handle in the morning, so we shall see. I don't really wanna be on the road Saturday.

Cam3J

Reaction score
Make that jump bro. I started in a similar situation 5 years ago. Dropped out of college 4 months before my degree, jumped on a suicide before I even knew train hopping was a thing. Went straight to Mexico..had no idea what I was doing, but it always works out in the end. I dont regret a thing. Married to the journey for life now and loving every up and down that comes with it. If you got a car, all you need is a gas can and a friendly spirit. Sharpies are real nice too. Throw yourself out there and you'll find out quick that this world is full of good people. Count your blessings and always help another along the way when you can and you will be golden.

jimmyf

Reaction score
That made my back tingle a little bit lol. I'm a little excited for this journey. I wanna meet a lot of people on here, and I wanna see that other side of people. Maybe people are better when their friends aren't around. That's the thing that bugs me most about society. It seems the only way up is by putting others down, but that just lowers society as a whole.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Welcome to StP man, and when you go out to the Slabs visit the library there and tell them we sent you. They'll tell you all you need to know about the Slab City community.

jimmyf

Reaction score
Thanks, I made sure to grab a few books from my parents for the library too.

You guys have all been so welcoming. Im just about packed up now and leaving in the morning. It’s customer appreciation day at the dispensary tomorrow, so one stop, and I’m off to the slabs. Giving up what my parents think is a perfect life with luxury to be with the misfits where I belong as a minimalist with no money.

I hope to meet some of you in person sometime soon.

Attachments

• 96D46F8E-69AB-4423-842C-D6823C5CBB80.jpeg
    96D46F8E-69AB-4423-842C-D6823C5CBB80.jpeg
    734.8 KB · Views: 247

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Shit, this is like the best Intro thread Ive read in a long time., haha.

Where are you coming from? If you head through AZ make sure to check out Quartzsite and the Colorado river before you head to the slabs, I bet the weather there right now is epic, and there are tons of rubber tramps out there. I think the is a huge gathering with the Gem Show going on out there.

Either way, welcome, good luck. The desert kicks ass right now. Thats where im trying to head at the moment.

Reactions: RoadFlower33

Gingersnap

Reaction score
Well I'm considering this life on the road for my first time. Grew up to a fairly well off family, but it's not easy living under their roof. I have a college degree, and I still just couldn't seem to make it in the real world. I sold drugs for a couple years, and I made a ton of money, but I still hated my life, so I cashed out and gave my money away. Now I don't drink or do drugs any more, I just smoke tree. I did my twelve steps years ago, but I found my own Spirituality that works for me.

I may have lost my mind, or I may not have. It's hard to tell who's normal or sane in this world sometimes. I've always been the guy on the outside of every circle. Misfit at heart, but I always dressed more like your standard American I guess. I'm over doing the whole song and dance required to live in society. I don't want to try and impress anyone in an interview any more. I just wanna spread the love and avoid the haters.
I feel you, living like this has got less to do with traveling than just not showing up to a job. I've always been a misfit and no matter how hard I tried couldn't cram my personality into society's arbitrary rules, now I know why.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads