Considering going to England or Spain next, would love some advice.

Leftovery

Reaction score
I'd love to get advice from people who have gone over to either country, or just Europe in general. It's just gonna be me, no dog, and as little gear as physically possible. I would also like to know if anyone has had experience getting deported from either country, as that is a definite possibility. I'd like to leave in about 5 months, so I just want as much imput as possible. Also thinking about finding someone to go with, as all of my friends are too scared to leave the continent.

sucio

Reaction score
Im from memphis. Right now . im in bloomington, IN
I met this kid from wales last year, he said when you spange you can just put your hat in front of you and sit there. No sign no asking for spare change. And whatever you do don't do anything to disrespect the honor of the queen. Anything you get busted for you catch the charge you committed plus a charge of disrespect towards the queen. Straight to Scotland yard mate. That's how I understood it anyway

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
it's illegal to beg over here. Or as the police put it "call to alms" this is why people don't use signs because the police would know what you're doing. some people do just sit with a hat out but I wouldn't recommend it as this is another clear sign that you are begging. people busking often put there hat out, but that's the same all over the world. I tend to ask people if they can spare a little change and make sure i say please and thank you and if i see the police i keep my mouth shut til they go away. i have never been arrested for begging and I have only heard of one person where I live being arrested but they were a particularly aggressive beggar and they got community service as begging doesn't get you a prison sentence. I've been given a ticket to leave the city centre and not return for 24 hours. I think it probably depends where you live. I live in a city so the police are pretty on it when it comes to begging but at the same time they have more important stuff to deal with.

With regards to getting charged with disrespecting the queen any time you get arrested that's not true. Otherwise there would be a lot more people in prison as most people don't actually give a shit about the queen or royal family. We like getting holidays when they get married or whatever, but really I think your welsh mate was telling you tales!

IrishTinker

Reaction score
In Ireland you can put out a sign or busk with a sign. Ive never did any but i see it regular with travelers and local homeless.Plus the fact its a nice place to roam.

Leftovery

Reaction score
I'm kind of re-thinking what time of year I would be going there. A: to avoid bad weather (as much as that is possible) and B: to make traveling there a bit cheaper. I'm also looking into taking a boat as that sounds cheap, and fun. I'd be busking for the most part, so I'd love to hear more about that. As for getting deported, it's not like I plan on it, but I'd just like to have all my bases covered, just in case. Shit happens when you drink a lot of beer.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads