Collapsible Hobo Stove | Squat the Planet

Collapsible Hobo Stove

Middlejake

Reaction score
Just joined the site and thought I'd show a stove idea I used back in 09. While staying a winter at the Slabs, I noticed there was a surplus of old coffee cans lying around. Started cooking on a hobo stove every night. I wanted to take one with but they seemed to much of a pain to pack.

me007.jpg

It fits into the large BDU pocket of the long sleeve fatigue.

me008.jpg

Those are the four sections of the stove. And a kitty cat. Cat not required for the stove to function, but I hear they taste good.

me010.jpg

Each section has a tab cut on the top and the bottom so the pieces slide together. I then used a piece of a hanger that I bent into a small right angle to slide into holes that I punched through both tabs once it was together(just used a hammer and a nail). Without the pieces of hanger, my pot of water would flatten the stove and put out my fire :(.

me011.jpg

So. Hope everyone gets the idea of how it was made. You can see the tabs on the top and bottom some. This little sucker didn't work too bad. Lasted me a year I think before the metal started to go. Don't know if this is an original idea, but I hope it helps someone out there.

Attachments

• me007.jpg
    me007.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 558

cport420

Reaction score
Very fucking cool. May be the weed but that's tight. You think a wood gas stove thing could be made like this?

Hobo richard

Reaction score
Just joined the site and thought I'd show a stove idea I used back in 09. While staying a winter at the Slabs, I noticed there was a surplus of old coffee cans lying around. Started cooking on a hobo stove every night. I wanted to take one with but they seemed to much of a pain to pack.

View attachment 39351

It fits into the large BDU pocket of the long sleeve fatigue.

View attachment 39352

Those are the four sections of the stove. And a kitty cat. Cat not required for the stove to function, but I hear they taste good.

View attachment 39353

Each section has a tab cut on the top and the bottom so the pieces slide together. I then used a piece of a hanger that I bent into a small right angle to slide into holes that I punched through both tabs once it was together(just used a hammer and a nail). Without the pieces of hanger, my pot of water would flatten the stove and put out my fire :(.

View attachment 39354

So. Hope everyone gets the idea of how it was made. You can see the tabs on the top and bottom some. This little sucker didn't work too bad. Lasted me a year I think before the metal started to go. Don't know if this is an original idea, but I hope it helps someone out there.
Seems your photos won't load, so not being sure what stove you mean, this might be redundant, but I got a Lixada wood stove from ebay at abot 10 bucks. Folds flat, fairly light stainless steel. The idea is the thing works like a traditional hobo can stove, but can be folded flat. Did not come with instructions and i could not get it assembled and freaked out, but found a youtube vid Lixada Fix, which is crucial as it does not work out of the box. Burns wood and has a bowl for alcohol.

• Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads