cob house

spoorprint

Reaction score
So does anyone have experience with this cabin style? I had a friend with a B.a. in architecture tell me once that I would have to add rebar, but I can't find any other source that recommends this and I don't think she knew from experience.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
The rebar might be for meeting housing code, it might not be for anything structural, unless you live in an earthquake zone/are in danger of trees falling on your place/tornado area.

Dmac

Reaction score
on a cob house, you need to have/ensure structural integrety. my brother built and lives in a hay bale house. it is as stated, primarialy built of hay bails, but a wall still used timbers at the ends or around where windows are. he (my brother) used the rough cut, non dementional, lumber. ya know the stuff sawmills usually get rid of, cheep when conpaired to regular lumber. i do know that cobs are both strong and have a good "R" value. good luck!:zombie:

Uncle Stinky

Old Dog--Can't See, Can't Hear, And Right In The D
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Like making a small bunker with pallets and cob and camouflaging it to blend with the surroundings.

RebeccaSoup

Reaction score
I know lots about building with cob.. have yet to buy the land to do it on.
wish i could help out with somebodys house to get some practice in.

Dmac

Reaction score
when my brother built his hay bail house, he contacted the local coleges. he got a lot of free help, and there was a surprisingly large amount of people interested in the how too, most came from community coleges. if you really wanted to help build someonelses alternitive style house, that would be a place to check, that and local farmersmarkets, or food co-ops. good luck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads