City Spotlight: Issaquah WA.

Thx

Reaction score
Hello travelers and adventurers and welcome to "Trail Head City", :)

Otherwise known as Issaquah Washington, a great little northwest gem and only 20 minutes from "The Emerald City".

2hoec1c.jpg

I first encountered Issaquah more than 20 years ago, camped on the outskirts for several years and then got myself a room in a rundown hotel, The Grand Central.

Issaquah is as prosperous as it is beautiful, it is nestled between three steep mountains and has grown in the last 20 years almost doubling in population, but it still retains much of it's original charm.

14257hx.jpg

Front St., I used to have a modest tree house on that misty mountain in the background.^

Issaquah has one of the best foodbank/clothingbanks I've ever visited, the ladies will load you down with regular store bought items, much more than rice, beans and pumpkin pie mix.

rlyfpv.jpg

Also, they have a great hot meal program every weekday at the fire station.

vhgwmr.jpg

A fairly new King County flagship library... couple dozen computers in there...

nn9jxe.jpg

The trail at Highpoint, this is a protected "Green Zone" and you could camp hundreds in there, this point is about two miles from Issaquah. (Not far from the "abandoned house" from my story, eek.) (In fact, if they came after me in their cars I was going to head for this very trail.)

jb4tjt.jpg

Just above that trail, closer to the city is the new Swedish Medical Center, Issaquah is indeed a prosperous city and Microsoft had it ear-marked for the new Microsoft Campus...

2058sqb.jpg

Issaquah has a salmon hatchery and every year in October is the Salmon Days Festival with hundreds of thousands of attendees and Alan White from Yes playing with selected bands.

jgqw00.jpg

Issaquah is full of little shady spots to rest awhile and not be hassled, I used to camp in the middle of town on occasion...

5droya.jpg

Issaquah Creek. I know you are not supposed to drink creek water and I agree for the most part, but I've had water from this creek many times and never got sick once.

29wqrg8.jpg

Gosh I love my little town, I don't live there anymore, but still consider it my own special discovery, drop in and visit and stay for awhile next time you are in Western Washington.

2d6ms88.jpg

Thx :)

Last edited:

Thx

Reaction score
Issaquah Salmon days is October 5th and 6th this year, here is a clip from a previous one...

http://www.salmondays.org/

Issaquah city motto: "A special place where people care..." ::shy::

A great place to visit and I know homeless who have lived there for 20 years and wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Thx :)

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads