circuses, medicine shows, etc (1 Viewer)

plagueship

Hometown
the desert
a few friends of mine and i have been talking about starting a "circus", or more accurately some kind of multi-faceted d.i.y. performance troupe. i've known or seen people that traveled and combined busking and/or house shows with fire dancing, acrobatics, dance, puppetry, selling moonshine and tinctures, storytelling, etc. i'm sure there are people on the board who've done stuff like this.

so what stories or ideas can you share with me for inspiration?

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

carnytrash

Lurker
Hometown
Pennsyltucky
Website
carnytrash.tumblr.com
Have been a sideshow performer for about 11 1/2 years - there are a lot of positive and negative aspects of being a DIY performer. Got my start in New Jersey doing shows in basements, backyards and out in the woods. At one point I was part of an underground troupe, which may have been the only one of it's kind in the area, but things came to an end when the majority of my Family was murdered. [That's a whole other story tho.]

Over the years, I have performed in many venues in several states, was a part of a 10-in-1 sideshow that traveled the carnival ciruit and met some amazing people. However, since the economy went to shit, it's a lot harder to stick to DIY and be successful at it. Will you have fun? Yes. Will you make money? Not always. There's tons of competition from people who have been doing this for decades and established names for themselves. There's a lot of people who will use you for their benefit and then turn their backs on you. There's bullshit and politics that come up even if you try not to be a part of it.

Having said all that, I do what I do because I fucking love it and have dedicated so much of my time to this lifestyle. No, I don't make a lot of money and I literally put my life at risk every time I perform, but I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had for anything in the world. There's a lot of hard work involved - coming up with routines, practicing, making costumes and fliers, promoting and booking shows [depending on where you intend to perform of course], and personally, if you're not willing to dedicate yourself fully, you probly shouldn't do it. That's just my opinion and I might sound like an asshole for it, but I have been thru a lot to get where I am today, and people still don't know who the fuck I am, but that's not why I do it.

Okay, now that I'm done writing a novel, I am always looking for people to perform with, so if you'd like to learn some things and have a whole lot of fun entertaining people [and yea, maybe even make money], hit me up.

OP
plagueship

plagueship

Hometown
the desert
wow carnytrash, thanks for that! i'm sorry for not being clearer: i'm not really thinking about this in terms of livelihood; it would be nice to make a little extra income, but since i have already hit upon a rent-free stable lifestyle, i'm thinking of it more in terms of a fulfilling creative communal project that would be, at most, 'regional' in scope, i think.

i have been talking about it with a few people but it's developing slowly, people don't want to commit because they 'might be going somewhere' etc etc... anyway, thanks again and i will hit you up for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

> 6' away from Juan During
Juan Derlust wrote on MFB's profile.
Truism #348:
If it wasn't for these loose ends I'd have it all wrapped up...
MFB
Elevation! Getting HIGH! (I am thinking my gopro died, for some reason I didnt get a 360 from the summit)
I think your buddy Bukowski put it best Sundays kill more men than bombs
BBQ with STP homies in portland, feeling peaceful
I only feel good when I'm outside, but I gotta stay inside to get school work done.
It's a full-time job to be a good dad
You got so much more stuff than I had
I gotta study just to keep with the changin times
101 Dalmations on your CD-ROM
See me-I'm
Tryin to pretend I know
On my PC where that CD go
i have covid19 can you house me up
Georgia is now lockdown. Let's see if my dumbass neighbors will go out for their drugs.