chicago squatting | Squat the Planet

chicago squatting

Geoff

Reaction score
good luck with winter around the corner.

flashinglights

Reaction score
I'm going to be there in December, and possibly looking for the same thing.

I can't imagine there's any shortage of abandoned houses and industrial property in Chicago, but heating will be a concern.

Loaf

Reaction score
Look for foreclosed homes, in Chicago. Some might be winterized so no water but, the electric should still work. Breaking in is a piece of cake and most of the time if you lay low keep it all back door you can go unnoticed by neighbors. As for the banks they don't give a shit about the property so nobody is going to bother you.

N

NickCofphee

South Side Chicago, no exaggeration about 1/4 of the homes are foreclosed and sitting empty and boarded up. Every block has at least 2.

Loaf

Reaction score
search foreclosure properties, scout 'em out for a few days, see which one is most accessible, low key, etc. As far as electricity goes some firms leave it on some don't. I wouldn't suggest rigging it if you don't know what you are doing and here you can get serious jail if you jump the meter and they find you. I am pretty sure almost every foreclosure in CHI would be winterized but, that is good that means they probably are going to be empty for a while, if you are looking long term. Be careful squatting the apartment blocks as investors often snoop around those areas. If you are concerned about keeping warm, if I can find it I had an old how-to on rigging space heaters to batteries. I'll look around.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads