News & Blogs Chef ticketed, facing $2K fine for feeding homeless

K

Kim Chee

This Nation was colonized by people who had no homes, look how far we've come!

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...ted-facing-2-000-fine-for-feeding-6198766.php

BY GILBERT GARCIA :Updated: April 14, 2015 622x350.jpg
Photo By Kin Man Hui/San Antonio Express-News

Joan Cheever, founder of The Chow Train, puts a piece of bread on a plate given to an individual at Maverick Park on Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013. Cheever and other volunteers have cooked gourmet-level meals to feed the homeless and the hungry for years. The non-profit group serves meals at various locations around San Antonio and recently served up a Thanksgiving meal to feed the needy. Cheever primarily does the cooking of all the food which she gets from donations.
  • mosaic_2.jpg
  • mosaic_2.jpg
  • mosaic_2.jpg
  • mosaic_2.jpg
  • mosaic_2.jpg
  • mosaic_2.jpg
  • mosaic_2.jpg
  • SAN ANTONIO — Joan Cheever, founder of the nonprofit mobile food truck known as the Chow Train, was cited last Tuesday by San Antonio police officers for feeding the homeless in Maverick Park.

Cheever has been serving restaurant-quality meals to the city's homeless population for the past 10 years, and has been profiled on Rachel Ray's cooking show for her charitable efforts.

Over the years, police officers have passed by and waved as she fed homeless people, but last Tuesday night four bike-patrol officers stopped in the park and gave Cheever a ticket that carries a potential fine of $2,000. Cheever has a food permit for her mobile truck, but she was cited for transporting and serving the food from a vehicle other than that truck.

Cheever is scheduled to go before Municipal Court on June 23, but she remained defiant after receiving the citation, arguing that under the 1999 Texas Religious Freedom Restoration Act, she has a right to serve food to the homeless because she considers it a free exercise of her religion.

According to the restaurant's Facebook page, Cheever will be holding a "candlelight vigil" at Maverick Park Tuesday night to raise awareness for the incident.

Kal

Reaction score
It's not just Texas this seems to be going on everywhere. Is this what the world is coming to? And if so how do we fight back? I am a firm believer that we are suspose to help each other. I say one way to fight back is to keep on feeding people and don't pay the damn ticket contact the media let them know whats going on. It's just wrong and inhumane not to help someone who is hungry.

Reactions: Jaguwar

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Contact the media, volunteer to help these people, so if she gets arrested or ticketed, so will you. Show up at her court date with her. Visit the City Manager and speak at the City Council meeting. Start a prayer group. Also, Whatever happened to these guys? When it comes down to it, they could shield citizens from the cops.

http://www.guardianangels.org/

Reactions: Jaguwar

Art101

Reaction score
Serious weak ass sauce.Makes me want to do the same kind thing around here.Don't see a lot around here but I'm sure there are.Will be looking into it for sure.

K

Kim Chee

It's not just Texas this seems to be going on everywhere. Is this what the world is coming to? And if so how do we fight back? I am a firm believer that we are suspose to help each other. I say one way to fight back is to keep on feeding people and don't pay the damn ticket contact the media let them know whats going on. It's just wrong and inhumane not to help someone who is hungry.

One way you can help is to volunteer when you get the opportunity to help. You can offer dumpster divings, cook, clean, serve food, go peacefully to jail if it is your turn and do things for that other person when it is their turn to go to jail.

On another note:
I haven't met a person yet who could go very long without eating. Everybody has to do it, it should not be illegal for a person to share what they have.

K

Kim Chee

This is despicable. Heartless police officers.. Absurd law enforcement.

I'm sure somebody put them up to it, but yes they still have to be ultimately responsible for their actions.

Damn if I accept a job where somebody can make me do something which is against my core beliefs.

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure somebody put them up to it, but yes they still have to be ultimately responsible for their actions.

Damn if I accept a job where somebody can make me do something which is against my core beliefs.

The problem with cops is that their core beliefs are not what's right and wrong. But rather what is legal or illegal. For them, statute=morality. If it were any other way, they'd experience cognitive dissonance on a profound scale and be unable to perform their duties. To stay sane they MUST continue to trust the system and believe in its rectitude. Cops, by and large are not thinkers: they're 'doers'. Consult Meyers-Briggs.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
& those fucking "bicycle" officers should be fired, instantly & banned from ever holding any civil positions, again..

shit.

*they* should be made homeless...

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
& those fucking "bicycle" officers should be fired, instantly & banned from ever holding any civil positions, again..

shit.

*they* should be made homeless...
Everyone's equal....Some are just a little more equal than others. LOL Fire them? Hell no! Theyre Texas' emerging middle class! How could the city of SATX justify its budget if we went around firing all the civil servants? Shame! And if they were made homeless I'm not sure how smoothly they'd integrate into the local homeless population. Can you imagine? "Hey Bob. You know if I were a still a cop, I'd have to turn you in for that."

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads