Cheers from Australia !

dodi

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I randomly found this website two days ago, and am really glad I did :)
I was actually doing some research about hitchihiking and train-hopping in Australia, because those would be my next goal. My boyfriend and I will be leaving from Sydney and try to get as far as we can, maybe until Alice Springs and this part of the Outback.

So I'm willing to read your stories if you want to share them, advices, or philosophical punchlines :)

Thanks for this forum, it's great !

Cheers,
Manon

Reactions: Minnie and Shwillam

Minnie

Reaction score
nice =)
I've done the route from sydney/newcastle to alice and back solely by hitching and camping several times. most recently less than 2 months ago.. best advice is to take the longer way and stick to the major highways from SYD > MELB > ADELAIDE and then up because it's much, much easier to get a lift.
It is essential youre prepared heading into the outback. the desert is right fucking cold in winter, dropping well below 0 at night and up to 30 in the day. you need lots of water, lots and lots. there are no towns with supermarkets on the highway the 1500km between adelaide and alice so stock food. if youre driving at night youve got a very, very high chance of hitting a kangaroo and they cause serious damage to vehicles.
its very harsh but very worthwhile. watching the sun rise from red dirt and set in red dirt everyday.. so many wonders in caves and treasures in dried riverbeds. the stars so bright and horizon endless. enjoy!!

im guessing youre a student at UON? I also live in Hamilton if you need anymore advice!!

Reactions: dodi

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads