Can Skanks Bring Trouble? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Can Skanks Bring Trouble?

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Idk what ghetto you lived in (WI?) but in toronto you can get shot for having the wrong colors on. People fly flags all over t.o. but theyre flying as a representation of the gang they belong to and itll be on a persons head or, most commonly neatly folded and hanging out of theback pocket. The side it hangs from and the color are to let yoy know which gang they belong to. Example: crips wear blue flags on the left and-you guessed it bloods wear red on the right.
That aside, if you wear it around your neck you are safe. Color wont matter.
Just dont be posing as a gangbanger.. thatll definitely get you fucked up at the least or worse-shot.
Oakland, LA, NewOrleans...
Maybe the ghettos in Canada are just stuck in the 90's ;)

• Haha
Reactions: NomadicHobo

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
10 minutes of research shows you have about 15-20 homicides a year in Toronto, a city of 2.7 million.
Oakland has 100-150, in a city of 400k.
I think you're talking about these suburb teenagers...
and I still dont think its likely you're gonna get shot for wearing anything.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
I wear a shemagh. Much more useful in my opinion and ya don't got people acting to stupid about it generaly either.
In Germany, you have a chance of getting violently confronted by the antifa for these. I was threatened that I would be attacked if I didnt remove mine. I called the guy a fascist and he got really pissed, but didnt follow through with violence. However, if there were more of them, I could see it going differently.

NomadicHobo

Reaction score
10 minutes of research shows you have about 15-20 homicides a year in Toronto, a city of 2.7 million.
Oakland has 100-150, in a city of 400k.
I think you're talking about these suburb teenagers...
and I still dont think its likely you're gonna get shot for wearing anything.

Whoa whoa whoa. Hold on a minute. Firstly, toronto has about 5 million, and secondly, there is alot more than 20 homicides a year there.

Sometimes 'quick research' yields BS results.

treatment

Reaction score
I wear a really fuzzy warm balaclava when my face gets cold. It's warm as fuck. Keeps the bangers off my back, too.

EBK errery day all day till the day I die

Creepin through yo set with a mini mac-10 AR-1-5

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Show me a single source that says toronto city is over 3 million.
if you include the area around it its sure 5-6 million. If you include the area around LA or Oakland (the "San Francisico" bay area), its also a lot bigger.
And ok, yeah, there is maybe double so many homicides, my bad. around 20 Shooting homicides a year, plus some stabbngs and a handful of "others".

This is really getting off the op, but I still strongly disagree, and you keep coming across with unsubstantiated arguments.
Basically the point I would still stand by is that the people who are stupid enough to shoot you for wearing colors, are probably young, probably scared, and would probably shoot you for any old thing, because they are idiots/posers and not "proper" Gang members. Anyone with ties to real gang culture, or coming from a family that is tied into gangs, would know better. The bored angry 17 year old from a broken home who gets a gun and starts acting like a gang member to impress his friends, that's the guy to worry about.
Here is the crime rate statistics from the Toronto police
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/ytd_stats.php
Here is the 2011 census:
http://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toro...ration/files/pdf/2011-census-backgrounder.pdf
I will quit talking about Toronto now. I shouldnt have turned to teasing, just thought after your "what ghetto you lived in" comment that you were a dick. I still dont have to come to that level. I have lived in ghettos. Real ghettos. All over America, and outside as well (mexico, guatemala, nicaragua, panama, spain, portugal, France... those were places I felt I was in "real" ghettos). I mentioned LA, Oakland and Nola here because I think people could relate, but have also been in a lot more than that. These weird fucking metal silo neighborhoods around Gainesville, where the dog fights happened and we could trade foodstamps against weed. The thousands of African immigrants living between the rows of greenhouses in Almeria, tent cities made out of scraps of plastic. Slums made of this galvanized roofing metal with dirt floors on the outside of industry areas in the south of nicaragua...
(WI?) my ass.

NomadicHobo

Reaction score
Show me a single source that says toronto city is over 3 million.
if you include the area around it its sure 5-6 million. If you include the area around LA or Oakland (the "San Francisico" bay area), its also a lot bigger.
And ok, yeah, there is maybe double so many homicides, my bad. around 20 Shooting homicides a year, plus some stabbngs and a handful of "others".

This is really getting off the op, but I still strongly disagree, and you keep coming across with unsubstantiated arguments.
Basically the point I would still stand by is that the people who are stupid enough to shoot you for wearing colors, are probably young, probably scared, and would probably shoot you for any old thing, because they are idiots/posers and not "proper" Gang members. Anyone with ties to real gang culture, or coming from a family that is tied into gangs, would know better. The bored angry 17 year old from a broken home who gets a gun and starts acting like a gang member to impress his friends, that's the guy to worry about.
Here is the crime rate statistics from the Toronto police
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/ytd_stats.php
Here is the 2011 census:
http://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toro...ration/files/pdf/2011-census-backgrounder.pdf
I will quit talking about Toronto now. I shouldnt have turned to teasing, just thought after your "what ghetto you lived in" comment that you were a dick. I still dont have to come to that level. I have lived in ghettos. Real ghettos. All over America, and outside as well (mexico, guatemala, nicaragua, panama, spain, portugal, France... those were places I felt I was in "real" ghettos). I mentioned LA, Oakland and Nola here because I think people could relate, but have also been in a lot more than that. These weird fucking metal silo neighborhoods around Gainesville, where the dog fights happened and we could trade foodstamps against weed. The thousands of African immigrants living between the rows of greenhouses in Almeria, tent cities made out of scraps of plastic. Slums made of this galvanized roofing metal with dirt floors on the outside of industry areas in the south of nicaragua...
(WI?) my ass.

Sorry. Never meant to come off like a dick.
Apologies.

skitter

Reaction score
Scuzzbucket's post was the most informative! it really is a good read on someone. I've worn them as a cool guy fashion accessory til they turned greasy black and disintegrated off of my body but that's kinda dumb to me now... I use mine to blow my nose, staunch bleeding wounds, tie on my head, sometimes i moisten it and take a quick "bath" cos i am over being an outrageously dirty crustlord. I wrap it around my metal water bottle i use as a heat sink for my ferret carrier since the bottle has a lot of condensation, consequently it has gotten a lot of ferret shit on it sometimes but nothing a good rinse and dry doesn't fix. they are cheap and useful and completely fucking useless when they are nothing but torn greasy rags draped over your neck.

I have rocked red, blue, and black rags all over the country in various areas of economic prosperity/despair and not only has no one ever ever everrr hassled me but no one has commented. If they did i would probably just think they were kinda dumb. :/

Edit: its weird how human shit grosses me out but my ferrets are my babies and i clean a lot of their shit... If my current rag got human shit on it i would definitely just toss it, euurggh

Last edited by a moderator:

Waya anisitsune

Reaction score
I met this pretty cool dude yesterday who said that I ought to keep from washing my bandannas (a black one and a camo one) if I'm gonna wear them. I hitchhike, so I'm not too read up on hobo culture. Is it seriously something that people would get pissy over? I'm not in the business of offending people, but come on. Bandanas are a pretty common clothing article.
ok, as a train rider. First off DO NOT WASH YOUR SKANKS! Reason for that is it'll act as a barrier for smell's, dust and air borne pathogen's/debris. Thirdly White is good (neutral) Black is fine and don't wear camo in new orleans. wear black and white or pure white. (I'd say pure white for safety reason's). Any other place throw white on till you get a feel for the area and people then switch to what would be safest.

Dameon

Reaction score
Man, I don't know where you got those ideas...

A bandanna will block dust without being covered in dirt and grease. The dirt particles are larger than the teeny tiny holes in the cotton. And a dirty rag is not going to stop pathogens. Ever. At all. In fact, it'll likely carry some. Sure, it's gonna block smells, with its own smell. A dab of something scented on a clean rag is even more effective.

Killjoy

Reaction score
Ive first hand saw someone go up to a new kid and cut his black skank off cuse he refused to take his advice. Advice being black was a symbol you had been riding trains along time and you would get your ass kicked if you were caught with that symbol unearned. They almost fought but got broken up.

wombatt

Reaction score
Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
As someone who grew up in and often stays in areas considered to be 'the ghetto' I can say that I have never gotten fucked with for wearing a skank and nobody in any real gangs gives half a shit about what colors anyone is flying let alone some dirty kid with a dread mullet. But someone might get weirded out if you lose yer lucky black hobo tie and go running around the park yelling "where is my black skank? I need my skank!"

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Ive first hand saw someone go up to a new kid and cut his black skank off cuse he refused to take his advice. Advice being black was a symbol you had been riding trains along time and you would get your ass kicked if you were caught with that symbol unearned. They almost fought but got broken up.

people that pull that kind of shit are just insecure and trying to prove they're better than everyone else. it's high school bullshit. personally, i started exploring alternative lifestyles/travel so i could get away from that shit, but some insecure assholes just can't not bring it into our culture.

Reactions: Odin

RobHASboots

Reaction score
I know a kid who wore a red and a blue rag at all times in California to avoid confrontation.
I'm just gonna collect one hankey of every color, tie em together at the ends, n wrap them all around my body... like Nepalese prayer flags.
-just cover ALL your bases, right? [I'm giving a thumbs-up right now.]
no. I see it as a weakness, to join a gang, or any other coercive organization. NOT IMPRESSED [ that said, i'll consider myself fortunate to have never been in a situation where being a member of such groups is a form of 'social mobility' / 'movin' up' / or 'the way out'' ]
when you join an exclusive organization, you take on that group's customs, culture, persona... the group becomes more important than the individuals that it is comprised of. you give up pieces of your own spontaneous individuality that YOUR imagination came up with. you become absorbed, and somewhere along the way, you fall victim to that sociological phenomenon: GROUP THINK. {[HASHTAG]#gross[/HASHTAG]}
this is primitive shit. hope for evolution may require us to consciously fight our own nature. but, I suppose it all comes down to the question: 'what the fuck is in it for me?' how can one benefit from being a part of SOMETHING? many are desperate to be a part of ANYTHING. [see: 'social network sites']
keyword: SOLIDARITY
it's truly awesome when like-minded people unite for common causes. but let's remember who we are.
NO COERCIVE HEIRARCHIES. --- people who insist that their own opinions matter insist on CONSENSUS DEMOCRACY. but there are many among us who would prefer the comforts of slavery to the adversity of freedom. ...fuckin homo sapiens.
...rant ending in... 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . .

• Sad
Reactions: Phoenix and Mankini

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads