Campfire story telling contest! (1 Viewer)

dirty scout badges - good prize for telling an epic story?

• Very much so

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Nah not really

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
So I've had the idea for a while to do a story telling contest around the campfire for a while, but recently @Geraldo gave me the great idea of giving away special prizes to those that weave the best (true) stories of the road.

Specifically, the prizes would be custom scouts badges, much like these:

badges_650-jpg.31370

the above badges are for grave robbing, violent revenge, curses and hexes, and arson. i'm sure we could come up with our own, and i've already found some places that will print embroidered patches. we just need to come up with a bunch of cool badges of our own and whoever tells the best story in that category wins the patch.

thoughts?

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Something like "most disastrous" would be good. I often find that people's worst travel experiences are far more entertaining than their best. :p

autumn

Lurker
I also like the idea of most disastrous. And I like the patch idea, Matt :p

Maybe a turd patch for the best story involving bodily functions. I've got a few of those, one involves inadvertently covering a child in my shit. Accidentally filling a sink with diarrhea (it sounds worse than it was) - that one happened last week. I've had bad luck with poop. Travelers usually have entertaining stories involving poop.

Maybe categories for the best story involving the police or fire, like that little arsonist patch?

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
I also like the idea of most disastrous. And I like the patch idea, Matt :p

Maybe a turd patch for the best story involving bodily functions. I've got a few of those, one involves inadvertently covering a child in my shit. Accidentally filling a sink with diarrhea (it sounds worse than it was) - that one happened last week. I've had bad luck with poop. Travelers usually have entertaining stories involving poop.

Maybe categories for the best story involving the police or fire, like that little arsonist patch?
yes! police and/or fire are great ideas, we just need good names for them. and the poop idea sounds hilarious as well. i need image/name ideas!

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
If I ever have to tell a story arounda campfire I want a badge for excluding the part where I refrain from trying to kill someone. maybe a dove carrying a twig off and olive. people deserve credit for not losing their marbles. kind of like a purple heart. so fucking what you're wounded but here's a medal. call it... dove.

autumn

Lurker
yes! police and/or fire are great ideas, we just need good names for them. and the poop idea sounds hilarious as well. i need image/name ideas!
Are you going to compete? Because I know who's going to win the police one... ahem... :p Let me tell yah guys, Matt can really tell a story.

Hm... I'll get back to you on image ideas!

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Just thought of another one. There should be a "schwilly kid" award for the best story involving large amounts of alcohol. I think that'd be a competitive category. :D

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Are you going to compete? Because I know who's going to win the police one... ahem... :p Let me tell yah guys, Matt can really tell a story.

Hm... I'll get back to you on image ideas!
haha, i might kick off each category with a story of my own, but i'm going to exempt myself from winning any of the prizes :p

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
This is cool.

I can support this.

I have experiences I'd rather not turn into stories;)

Attention all introverts:
If you have a story and happen to have a bigger fear of public speaking than I do I will happily read your story for you if I'm there:)

Oh, and if you think you're going to get off easy just having me read your stuff...it is not that easy.

Subject to content approval.

And

Subject to you pitching in somehow to the event.

Get your patch, have your story heard.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
This is cool.

I can support this.

I have experiences I'd rather not turn into stories;)

Attention all introverts:
If you have a story and happen to have a bigger fear of public speaking than I do I will happily read your story for you if I'm there:)

Oh, and if you think you're going to get off easy just having me read your stuff...it is not that easy.

Subject to content approval.

And

Subject to you pitching in somehow to the event.

Get your patch, have your story heard.
well, really, the point of this is to weave a good tale or hear other people stories to entertain or get inspired by, so i think everyone can tell their own stories.

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
well, really, the point of this is to weave a good tale or hear other people stories to entertain or get inspired by, so i think everyone can tell their own stories.
I agree, I was just offering to the painfully shy even though I didn't say it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
thegreatestsalad