2016 Jamboree - Campfire story telling contest! | Squat the Planet

2016 Jamboree Campfire story telling contest!

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2016 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
So I've had the idea for a while to do a story telling contest around the campfire for a while, but recently @Geraldo gave me the great idea of giving away special prizes to those that weave the best (true) stories of the road.

Specifically, the prizes would be custom scouts badges, much like these:

badges_650.jpg

the above badges are for grave robbing, violent revenge, curses and hexes, and arson. i'm sure we could come up with our own, and i've already found some places that will print embroidered patches. we just need to come up with a bunch of cool badges of our own and whoever tells the best story in that category wins the patch.

thoughts?

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
Something like "most disastrous" would be good. I often find that people's worst travel experiences are far more entertaining than their best. :p

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Something like "most disastrous" would be good. I often find that people's worst travel experiences are far more entertaining than their best. :p

haha maybe the badge could be an image of someone running down the highway on fire?

• Haha
Reactions: Brother X

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
I also like the idea of most disastrous. And I like the patch idea, Matt :p

Maybe a turd patch for the best story involving bodily functions. I've got a few of those, one involves inadvertently covering a child in my shit. Accidentally filling a sink with diarrhea (it sounds worse than it was) - that one happened last week. I've had bad luck with poop. Travelers usually have entertaining stories involving poop.

Maybe categories for the best story involving the police or fire, like that little arsonist patch?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I also like the idea of most disastrous. And I like the patch idea, Matt :p

Maybe a turd patch for the best story involving bodily functions. I've got a few of those, one involves inadvertently covering a child in my shit. Accidentally filling a sink with diarrhea (it sounds worse than it was) - that one happened last week. I've had bad luck with poop. Travelers usually have entertaining stories involving poop.

Maybe categories for the best story involving the police or fire, like that little arsonist patch?

yes! police and/or fire are great ideas, we just need good names for them. and the poop idea sounds hilarious as well. i need image/name ideas!

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
If I ever have to tell a story arounda campfire I want a badge for excluding the part where I refrain from trying to kill someone. maybe a dove carrying a twig off and olive. people deserve credit for not losing their marbles. kind of like a purple heart. so fucking what you're wounded but here's a medal. call it... dove.

Reactions: Garminbozia

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
yes! police and/or fire are great ideas, we just need good names for them. and the poop idea sounds hilarious as well. i need image/name ideas!

Are you going to compete? Because I know who's going to win the police one... ahem... :p Let me tell yah guys, Matt can really tell a story.

Hm... I'll get back to you on image ideas!

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
Just thought of another one. There should be a "schwilly kid" award for the best story involving large amounts of alcohol. I think that'd be a competitive category. :D

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Are you going to compete? Because I know who's going to win the police one... ahem... :p Let me tell yah guys, Matt can really tell a story.

Hm... I'll get back to you on image ideas!

haha, i might kick off each category with a story of my own, but i'm going to exempt myself from winning any of the prizes :p

• Haha
Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Just thought of another one. There should be a "schwilly kid" award for the best story involving large amounts of alcohol. I think that'd be a competitive category. :D

shwilly kid is perfect, adding that to the list.

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I still need ideas, @awkwardshelby is interested in drawing up the designs I just gotta find a embroiderer

K

Kim Chee

This is cool.

I can support this.

I have experiences I'd rather not turn into stories;)

Attention all introverts:
If you have a story and happen to have a bigger fear of public speaking than I do I will happily read your story for you if I'm there:)

Oh, and if you think you're going to get off easy just having me read your stuff...it is not that easy.

Subject to content approval.

And

Subject to you pitching in somehow to the event.

Get your patch, have your story heard.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
This is cool.

I can support this.

I have experiences I'd rather not turn into stories;)

Attention all introverts:
If you have a story and happen to have a bigger fear of public speaking than I do I will happily read your story for you if I'm there:)

Oh, and if you think you're going to get off easy just having me read your stuff...it is not that easy.

Subject to content approval.

And

Subject to you pitching in somehow to the event.

Get your patch, have your story heard.

well, really, the point of this is to weave a good tale or hear other people stories to entertain or get inspired by, so i think everyone can tell their own stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads