News & Blogs Camper Kart is a Tiny Home That Pops Out of a Shopping Cart (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
http://inhabitat.com/camper-kart-is-a-tiny-home-that-pops-out-of-a-shopping-cart/

camper-kart-kevin-cyr-1-jpg.36684

We've all seen the men and women who live out of shopping carts in cities throughout the world, but imagine if they could add one of Kevin Cyr's awesome pop-up tents to the mix. The Camper Kart is a portable home that boasts a cozy-looking bed, a lantern and even storage space. The earth-friendly shelter is made largely out of recycled materials that could potentially give the world's less fortunate a sheltered, private space in which to lay their heads at night.

camper-kart-kevin-cyr-4-jpg.36685

camper-kart-kevin-cyr-5-jpg.36686

camper-kart-kevin-cyr-6-jpg.36687

camper-kart-kevin-cyr-7-jpg.36688

camper-kart-kevin-cyr-2-537x387-jpg.36689

Kevin Cyr recognizes that although some people choose to construct tiny houses out of a deep love for the environment, hundreds of thousands of people around the world don’t have the resources to build their own home – no matter how small it is. It weighs very little, features mesh walls that allow the tent to breathe and it folds down into a wooden box made of what appear to be recycled pieces of wood.

This inconspicuous intervention makes the the cart look very uninteresting to passersby and could well avert would-be thieves. We’re not sure how folks with no home could get their hands on one of these, except through sponsors or charity programs, but it looks significantly more comfortable than a cardboard box. For more solutions to nomadic life, check out Kevin’s Home in the Weeds.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Drengor

Pilgrim
Hometown
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
That looks like a great idea! I know a lot of guys who'd grab one of these in a heartbeat!

I'm just thinking about it rolling away down a street with dude sound asleep careening to an unexpected wake up call! Does it come with wheel brakes? :D

Will Wood

Hometown
Portland
http://inhabitat.com/camper-kart-is-a-tiny-home-that-pops-out-of-a-shopping-cart/

View attachment 36684

We've all seen the men and women who live out of shopping carts in cities throughout the world, but imagine if they could add one of Kevin Cyr's awesome pop-up tents to the mix. The Camper Kart is a portable home that boasts a cozy-looking bed, a lantern and even storage space. The earth-friendly shelter is made largely out of recycled materials that could potentially give the world's less fortunate a sheltered, private space in which to lay their heads at night.

View attachment 36685

View attachment 36686

View attachment 36687

View attachment 36688

View attachment 36689

Kevin Cyr recognizes that although some people choose to construct tiny houses out of a deep love for the environment, hundreds of thousands of people around the world don’t have the resources to build their own home – no matter how small it is. It weighs very little, features mesh walls that allow the tent to breathe and it folds down into a wooden box made of what appear to be recycled pieces of wood.

This inconspicuous intervention makes the the cart look very uninteresting to passersby and could well avert would-be thieves. We’re not sure how folks with no home could get their hands on one of these, except through sponsors or charity programs, but it looks significantly more comfortable than a cardboard box. For more solutions to nomadic life, check out Kevin’s Home in the Weeds.
Looks like something for the "Little People"..

F

FrumpyWatkins

I deleted myself
I'd be worried about that bastard tipping over in my sleep. Would definitely rig up some stabilizing apparatus on the sides.
Or rolling away, definitely need some wheel blocks. That thing would be like a land sail in a high wind.

T

tennesseejed

I deleted myself
So did this guy just make one of these? Are they actually for sale?

Hometown
Huntington, WV
In past years Universities and other Schools have promoted Design Competitions for making simple housing for the homeless. It's a nice notion but then you hear Politicians and Radio Pundits calling these things, "Bum Boxes".

It's one thing to design things with good intent but something else again for those it's intended for to take possession. In the meanwhile it is often just a show and tell piece from the portfolio of the young Architect, Industrial Designer, Inventor, Social worker, etc to offer up in an interview.

Here is one that I think is quite well thought out in "Design Boom com"

https://www.designboom.com/design/mobile-homeless-shelter/
https://www.designboom.com/design/mobile-homeless-shelter/
I listened to a Talk Radio Show one evening where they were kicking around the idea of using Rail Road flat cars with tiny houses built on them. Those who got into this program would board their Train Home and be taken outside the City Limits to camps where there were facilities that could take care of their domestic needs. Thus getting them out of the city at night. Next morning after the businesses opened they would be brought back into the city perhaps in a different part. Interesting idea but I doubt it would work for just anyone. Nothing was said about heating etc of these facilities either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Juan Derlust wrote on MFB's profile.
I think your buddy Bukowski put it best Sundays kill more men than bombs
BBQ with STP homies in portland, feeling peaceful
I only feel good when I'm outside, but I gotta stay inside to get school work done.
It's a full-time job to be a good dad
You got so much more stuff than I had
I gotta study just to keep with the changin times
101 Dalmations on your CD-ROM
See me-I'm
Tryin to pretend I know
On my PC where that CD go
i have covid19 can you house me up
Georgia is now lockdown. Let's see if my dumbass neighbors will go out for their drugs.
MFB wrote on LuckyMinnie's profile.
Dooder, Your doggo is EARristable! ;)
Holding treats, yo!
is a thought of a unicorn a real thought?

Members online