California encampments with city access

Supposed Mocha

Chainsmoking Pink Bloc
Reaction score
Well we all know of TAZ's like Slab City and the ones surrounding LA in the desert, but are there good camps or public areas for dispersed camping around major cities such as LA, SF, Redding, Sacramento, etc? I've debated some of the National Forest areas and desert for dispersed camping but I'm flying blind here but that's the half the fun.

Name Changed

Reaction score
Hey. Any I mean Any available campsite near a major city or any area in California will be occupied, crowded, or reserved 365. From the beaches to the Mountains. And LEO patrols them all and locals talk. There are people Camping all over the state of California. From locals,tourists, and homebum/ traveling types where ever you chose others will be near or passing by. Research your area a lil (local news, online) and obey the National laws as best as possible local law too.

MetalBryan

Reaction score
Most of the year the riverbeds in Central California are dry. Homeless folks have staked their claim near towns and you don't want to fight with that establisment. However, those riverbeds still have the same cover of trees and such once you get out of town. I know this suggestion is pretty abelist but get a bike or prepare to walk a day to get to someplace quiet. Most of the riverbeds run within a half mile of the interstate/freeway so nobody cares too much I think.

• Useful
Reactions: Supposed Mocha

Supposed Mocha

Chainsmoking Pink Bloc
Reaction score
Hey. Any I mean Any available campsite near a major city or any area in California will be occupied, crowded, or reserved 365. From the beaches to the Mountains. And LEO patrols them all and locals talk. There are people Camping all over the state of California. From locals,tourists, and homebum/ traveling types where ever you chose others will be near or passing by. Research your area a lil (local news, online) and obey the National laws as best as possible local law too.

See that was a reason I really was concerned about California and other dense regions as an escape, but the weather and resources makes it practical when we're unhoused and transient as all get out. It's an unfortunate reality we require anywhere that already has a massive base of folks already there, based purely on my partner and I's trans identity and need to access any healthcare, pride centers, and whatever weak legislation exists in this increasingly hostile climate.

Reactions: Ynwdwndrr

Supposed Mocha

Chainsmoking Pink Bloc
Reaction score
Most of the year the riverbeds in Central California are dry. Homeless folks have staked their claim near towns and you don't want to fight with that establisment. However, those riverbeds still have the same cover of trees and such once you get out of town. I know this suggestion is pretty abelist but get a bike or prepare to walk a day to get to someplace quiet. Most of the riverbeds run within a half mile of the interstate/freeway so nobody cares too much I think.

Damn that's a fantastic idea for a stealth camping type situation.

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: MetalBryan

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads