Butane Stove Sux. PROPANE PROPANE. | Squat the Planet

Butane Stove Sux. PROPANE PROPANE.

VickyFresh

Reaction score
I was given a butane camp stove recently, and although it worked well, those little gas canisters have such a short life that it defeats the purpose of cooking your own meal. I managed to cook a box of mac and cheese and heat up a can of chicken noodle soup before the thing ran out of gas. I used to have a propane stove which was way more efficient. The gas cans cost twice as much, but last about 10x as long.
The only thing I liked more about the butane stove is how compact and stable it was. The small gas can fit beside the stove quite well, although the locking mechanism wasn't very stable. The single burner propane stove I had before felt like it was about to fall over all the time. The burner was balanced on top of the propane can which was on a stand, but with a heavy pot of food on top it's not the safest. I think the way to go would be with a propane stove that looks something like this:

0015372_200.jpeg

This one is small and easy to carry, it uses propane and won't fall over and spill all your food. Although I guess if you're in the right location you could just start a goddamn fire.

16111052_571875356348273_8789924044716638208_n.jpg

Attachments

• 999999-76501232790.jpg
    999999-76501232790.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 399
  • k2-_3b1162f0-7d11-4554-86e9-80806cb54b76.v1.jpg
    k2-_3b1162f0-7d11-4554-86e9-80806cb54b76.v1.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 358
K

Keystone Ice Kid

Just reminding y'all can get very cute with the amount of water you actually need to cook macaroni. Annie's in the blue box cooks super fast if you hit the sale.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
  • Useful
Reactions: VickyFresh

Preacher

Reaction score
For the first 6 months I was rubbertramping I used

msr_dragonfly.jpg

White gas, kerosene, & diesel and jet fuel. The one time I used diesel it clogged up the jets after about 6 meals. I'll never use it again. I generally used:

klean-strip-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-qvm46-64_1000.jpg

Can get this in most stores like Home Depot or Lowes. It is, basically, lighter fluid. Not as explosive as gas, lol. I also used it in my zippo. However, after about 6 months a plastic part on the connector from the hose to the bottle broke. They've redesigned the piece but I still haven't replaced it. Pretty stable, but needed a small grill for smaller pots. I just used a small round bakers cooling rack from the thrift store. Overall, it boiled water like a mo'fo and a gallon of fuel lasted about 3 weeks cooking all meals. Needed to completely take it apart about once a month to clean. Very light and compact.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
For the first 6 months I was rubbertramping I used

View attachment 40186

White gas, kerosene, & diesel and jet fuel. The one time I used diesel it clogged up the jets after about 6 meals. I'll never use it again. I generally used:

View attachment 40187

Can get this in most stores like Home Depot or Lowes. It is, basically, lighter fluid. Not as explosive as gas, lol. I also used it in my zippo. However, after about 6 months a plastic part on the connector from the hose to the bottle broke. They've redesigned the piece but I still haven't replaced it. Pretty stable, but needed a small grill for smaller pots. I just used a small round bakers cooling rack from the thrift store. Overall, it boiled water like a mo'fo and a gallon of fuel lasted about 3 weeks cooking all meals. Needed to completely take it apart about once a month to clean. Very light and compact.
wholly fwok don't go blind breathing that shit. wtf about the alcahol stove or has that been reiterated too many times

kecleon

Reaction score
I think pound for pound they do the same dollar for dollar those camping cartridge things I'm sure suck, I bet someone figured out a way to refill them from a big cylinder, and anyway if you can refill a lighter why not a stove, but no one would let you and no one's going to carry one of those even in a car/van.

For me its all fussy and I have a fire or nothing but I get it if it's for stealth or inside or whatever

Preacher

Reaction score
wholly fwok don't go blind breathing that shit. wtf about the alcahol stove or has that been reiterated too many times

Used inside my van multiple times without issue.

alcohol just doesnt infuse the flavor that diesel and naptha have. its all about that flavor :p

Flavor? I cook in a pot, not BBQ'ng

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads