1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Butane Stove Sux. PROPANE PROPANE.

Discussion in 'Stoves & Cookware' started by VickyFresh, Jan 12, 2018.

1. VickyFresh

VickyFresh is getting to know the place

Address:
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +12 / -0
    I was given a butane camp stove recently, and although it worked well, those little gas canisters have such a short life that it defeats the purpose of cooking your own meal. I managed to cook a box of mac and cheese and heat up a can of chicken noodle soup before the thing ran out of gas. I used to have a propane stove which was way more efficient. The gas cans cost twice as much, but last about 10x as long.
    The only thing I liked more about the butane stove is how compact and stable it was. The small gas can fit beside the stove quite well, although the locking mechanism wasn't very stable. The single burner propane stove I had before felt like it was about to fall over all the time. The burner was balanced on top of the propane can which was on a stand, but with a heavy pot of food on top it's not the safest. I think the way to go would be with a propane stove that looks something like this:

0015372_200.

This one is small and easy to carry, it uses propane and won't fall over and spill all your food. Although I guess if you're in the right location you could just start a goddamn fire.

16111052_571875356348273_8789924044716638208_n.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Timm

Timm Sir Posts a Lot

Qualified welder/metal fabricator
    Address:
    Warburton, VIC, Australia
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +265 / -3
    This should be in the equipment and gear section. Under stoves n cookware.

3. Sam Punter

Sam Punter Appreciated Participator

Address:
    Louisville, KY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +37 / -5
    I've got the upright style propane stove. It works but is precarious. That one you show flat box with hose to propane canister is better. Looks like it has a wider support for the vessel too - a real problem if you cook with a fry pan larger than 10". Steer away from the Walmart upright type that screws directly onto the propane tank. I returned two of them. They both failed after the first tank emptied and I screwed on the new canister. The Coleman of that type works much better. And I think I only paid 15 bucks on Amazon. But my regular cook stove is a Coleman dual fuel stove that uses white gas or regular gasoline, which I siphon out of my car gas tank. $15/gallon for white gas or $2/gallon for gasoline. The choice is obvious and a lot cheaper (and hotter) than propane. But I still keep the propane stove as backup and for reheating (faster to start and no pumping.) Another handy item, if you have an AC outlet available, is a $10 electric hot plate from Walmart. Cooks, warms

• Useful Useful x 1
    #3 Sam Punter, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. Spider Tempura

Spider Tempura Celebrated Poster

Address:
    Wilton Manors, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +191 / -4
    12volt appliances are a rubberhobos best friend. For camp cooking i like alcohol stoves and can hobo stoves, for large themecamps and basecamps i recommend an old house stove hooked up to an lp tank. Add a sheet of steel to the top of burners with a gap in between and your flatop cooking for the masses in no time.

I wont bring lp stoves camping, im too old and that shit is to heavy. Twigs in a tin can reign supreme.

5. malaclypse

malaclypse One of the Regulars

Leaving
    Ratings:
    +81 / -1
    Ricky ruined my fuckin life, Julian...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sam Punter

Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +37 / -5
    Nice thing about that Walmart electric hot plate is that if you're where there's AC available, you have a free source of fuel/power. And it's great to keep stuff warm. It's fairly compact and stowable. And it's only $10.

7. Sam Punter

Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +37 / -5
    That guy with the sideburns on his scalp Jim Lahey, is played by John Dunsworth. The character is always drunk. And the character is well played. But John doesn't drink at all. He died recently.

Jim Lahey interview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8rEY-JtdNk

8. Keystone Ice Kid

Keystone Ice Kid Hungry for Knowledge

Address:
    Littleton, NH, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +17 / -1
    Just reminding y'all can get very cute with the amount of water you actually need to cook macaroni. Annie's in the blue box cooks super fast if you hit the sale.

9. Coywolf

Coywolf Sir Drinks-A-Lot
    StP Supporter

Public land activist
    Address:
    Austin, TX, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +881 / -29
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Preacher

Preacher Celebrated Poster
    Lifetime Supporter

"Retired"
    Address:
    Coatesville, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +221 / -1
    For the first 6 months I was rubbertramping I used

msr_dragonfly.

White gas, kerosene, & diesel and jet fuel. The one time I used diesel it clogged up the jets after about 6 meals. I'll never use it again. I generally used:

klean-strip-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-qvm46-64_1000.

Can get this in most stores like Home Depot or Lowes. It is, basically, lighter fluid. Not as explosive as gas, lol. I also used it in my zippo. However, after about 6 months a plastic part on the connector from the hose to the bottle broke. They've redesigned the piece but I still haven't replaced it. Pretty stable, but needed a small grill for smaller pots. I just used a small round bakers cooling rack from the thrift store. Overall, it boiled water like a mo'fo and a gallon of fuel lasted about 3 weeks cooking all meals. Needed to completely take it apart about once a month to clean. Very light and compact.

11. Sam Punter

Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +37 / -5
    I mixed acetone with gasoline for my dual fuel stove and it melted the plastic in the ball valve and was very hard to turn. Started working OK again after I'd run a tank or straight gasoline through it.

12. Gaucho Deluxe

Gaucho Deluxe Can't get enough of the site

Address:
    Denver, CO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,049 / -33
    wholly fwok don't go blind breathing that shit. wtf about the alcahol stove or has that been reiterated too many times

13. kecleon

kecleon Previously charmander

Address:
    Eu, Normandy, France
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +214 / -7
    I think pound for pound they do the same dollar for dollar those camping cartridge things I'm sure suck, I bet someone figured out a way to refill them from a big cylinder, and anyway if you can refill a lighter why not a stove, but no one would let you and no one's going to carry one of those even in a car/van.

For me its all fussy and I have a fire or nothing but I get it if it's for stealth or inside or whatever

14. Spider Tempura

Spider Tempura Celebrated Poster

Address:
    Wilton Manors, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +191 / -4
    alcohol just doesnt infuse the flavor that diesel and naptha have. its all about that flavor :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Preacher

Preacher Celebrated Poster
    Lifetime Supporter

"Retired"
    Address:
    Coatesville, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +221 / -1
    Used inside my van multiple times without issue.

Flavor? I cook in a pot, not BBQ'ng

16. Sam Punter

Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +37 / -5
    Apparently you can refill the 16 oz cannisters from the BBQ ones you exchange outside grocery and convenience stores:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Refill-Disposable-Propane-Tank-from-a-Standard-BBQ/

• Useful Useful x 1