Busking in UK (England and Scotland)

The Cack

Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

I'm sure this'd be better in the "making a living" forum space, but whatever.

We just spent a month busking in the England and Scotland.

Here's what I know:

Busking Guide: Tips for England and Scotland.

England has many regulations for Covent Gardens, but it also appears to be a proving ground for upper level street performers. We saw two acts almost crash and burn on a Wednesday. An Asian guy played a traditional instrument perfectly to a prerecorded track, but lacked any enthusiasm. In fact, he looked constipated between the long breaks between his playing and the rests provided by his backing track.

Camden Town's Loch was a pretty decent spot, though the money was tight. Good place to meet artist-types. Lots of busking work for little money, though there was lots of foot traffic. The tourists seemed to be tight-pursed and wary of any scammers. The bridges had the most amount of traffic and a few mediocre buskers played to no tips. But, I imagine on the weekend, it could be OK.

Other areas of Camden Town seemed like tourist traps, though we tried playing by the Whole Foods. That only yielded a mediocre amount despite constant applause from cafes nearby. We have video proof of this shit.

Waterloo's waterfront bridge could be okay, but be prepared to fend against the Turks, who had--not one--TWO trumpets going! Yowza. After watching them for nearly a half-hour, they only made two tips of varying amounts--including our own contribution of useless American change.

Hampstead Heath was a bust, though we only tried by the bus stop. Too many unsavory characters and little foot traffic made this spot less than ideal. Also, we were informed that this was one of the richer areas in London, hence our poor performance. But, you can camp there ninja-style if you like and swim for free. Kind of okay.

-----------------------

Bristol:

Bristol shopping mall, the Broadmead, was a decent pitch. Though, be aware that there's lots of competition, lots of watching, but no tips. A conclusion that we made is that England must be on hard times… The Bristol accent is a hoot, too: They substitute an "f" for "th". "I fink you made a mistake." Yes....

Downtown Bristol, by the ferry boats, proved to be more profitable. Initially we tried to legitimately busk in high traffic areas, but soon copied the bums--busk by the ATM near the Sainsbury's. Not only did we have constant traffic, but were tipped more readily than elsewhere. The area is a bit rough, so do be careful of unsavory junkies looking to oust you from a spot.

Another point about Bristol: On weekends and holidays, it seems that Bristol equips their streets with urinals on the street. Open-air urinals!!! All you do is step up on this platform, take care of business, shake vigorously, and then go back to consuming copious amounts of alcohol. I'm not sure if this is a great concept to prevent public urination. There ARE public bathrooms that come in handy, but they close when the night crowd shuffles in.

If you're looking for a place to sleep, there's the park near the university, up a long hill, but there are numerous conspicuous spots to get a good night's rest. We did, however, hear a woman screaming in the night. Either she was being raped or she was crazy, but it certainly was chilling. We would have rushed to her aid had we not been inflicted with the flu (and coughing up blood DAILY).

------------------------------

Gloucester:

Kind of a tame town. We hear differing reports that a) it was a shithole, or b) it was beautiful. We found neither. In all honesty, we busked for a hour, made 4 pounds 35 pence, and hit the road. The market clears out at 6-ish, as does most places in England. In the States, there'd be at least SOME foot traffic. We saw a young lesbo singing Aerosmith. Go Gloucester!

------------------------------

Birmingham:

This was a bust-and-a-half. There seems to be a few bridges that buskers play on, but because of the near-constant drizzle, no one seemed to be getting tipped. The Bullring, a gigantic shopping mall, seemed like a decent spot, but we were immediately shut down by a bulldyke security guard that mentioned some bureaucratic nonsense. This seems prevalent in England: "If you just go to so-and-so and tell them you're a busker, there's a few forms and an audition period. After that, you'll have to pay tax on your future earnings as well as liability insurance." Jeez, you wonder why they eat such crap food!!!

We tried busking adjacent to the Bullring but to little enthusiasm. Later, a Hare Krishna began his droning drum routine and basically rendered the market area useless. This town will make you start a band called Black Sabbath.

--------------------------------

Lichfield:

A failed hitchhiking attempt in Birmingham led us to being dropped off by the police in Lichfield. Surprisingly, it was the best spot since Bristol. The area by the church was the most resonant and our only competition was a mild-mannered saxophonist from Birmingham. We made fifteen pounds in an hour-and-a-half.

SIDE NOTE: Another concept of "proper" English culture is to avoid direct confrontation. To Americans, this is laughable, but it seems to speak volumes to the English. An old man informed us that it "would be better for {us}" if we played towards the church. Clearly, our music-making was impeding his business… or not. We played on, only to watch him watch us from a distance to see if we would follow his veiled threats. So, be wary and don't back down. Also, "fuck off" is not an abrasive gesture as in America. Fuck off, guv'nah!

SIDE NOTE 2: The bathrooms at the Lichfield bus station were nominated for LOO OF THE YEAR 1998, but I wouldn't suggest using them. The seat was made of wood (!!!) and was fashioned in such a way to be very UNRELAXING.

-----------------------------------

Blackpool:

Blackpool was described to us a working class vacation spot. It lived up to that description. We just happened to arrive during the big weekend of Derby vs. Blackpool football teams, and judging by the level of abrasive drunkenness, I'd suggest avoiding such places at such times. My favorite insult to the drunks was "speak English, damnit". The English don't like that one...

To Americans, the nearest fitting description I can give is of Coney Island. Playing on the promenade is legal, though VERY difficult. And FUCKING COLD. Busking a half-hour netted a hard-won 8 pounds. One guy tried to kiss me. Our second attempt netted the same amount, though it was by a stairwell later dominated by THE PERUVIAN FLUTE GUY.

The Peruvian Flute Guy in England is a whole 'nother beast than in the States. Here in England they have merchandise rack and a sound system that'd put most dancehall-loving Jamaicans to shame. Their merchandise consisted of tiny flutes for kids, earrings, dream catchers, CD's, feathers, and other trinkets. The music? Eh, about the same. Backing tracks and tonal flute sounds. Kind of boring, but he had a sympathetic audience.

Our third attempt in the shopping/strolling mall yielded ten easily-won pounds, but we were informed by the local council goons that we were to get the standard "insurance, future tax, bylaws, etc." Our English friend Tony said that we could've easily told them to "fuck off", as that they have no "real" power and would hesitate to call the police unless we were creating a real disturbance. Who knows?

------------------------------------

Liverpool:

Despite the Beatles association, this town was great for busking! We made 8 pounds inintially in a bad spot where other buskers were playing. Later, we moved to a spot by an abandoned bank and made 20 pounds in an hour. People seemed generous and surprised to see buskers in this spot. The narrow walls also amplified our sound. Also, we knew we were in the right spot when the junkies started throwing off veiled threats--"aright, that's enough!". So it goes. If we had had more time, Liverpool would be our main pitch.

Based on the suggestion of a girl named Claire who stopped by, we stopped by the Mello Mello Cafe. It seemed like a yuppie-meets-hippie cafe with large performance space. You'd probably be able to perform their if you ask nicely. So, ask nicely.

Oh yeah, the locals speak Scouser in Liverpool. If you think of George Harrison with more marbles in his mouth, you'd be close.

--------------------------------------

Glasgow:

Glasgow is cold and wet. More cold and wet than the rest of England, which is saying alot. The people, however, are much more generous and friendly than the rest. You won't see as much smoking or juvenile idiocy around these parts. But, as the weather is terrible, you can see why Trainspotting was conceived here.

However, the money was excellent. Almost a consistent 15 pounds an hour! The locals even tipped us in whiskey and cigarettes. We played on Sauchiehall Street, which is adjacent to Buchanan Street. Buchanan Street is a pedestrian mall where the only the real-deal buskers go. There are many circle acts. Be prepared to lose against the four-person traditional Scottish band with drums AND bagpipes!!! Our one attempt on Buchanan Street had many onlookers, but we found it unsuitable for a walk-by act such as ours.

Don't listen to what people say: Haggis is incredible. Its kind of like ghetta/getta in the Midwest.

---------------------------

Miscellaneous:

The English cuisine is pretty terrible. We ended up eating at GREGG's, which sells cheap meat pies. You can steal from them pretty easily, too, as most people in England are a) immigrants and don't care, or b) underpaid and don't care. Doner kebab seems like a bad idea, but it was consistently the tastiest thing we could afford. English breakfast is okay, but putting beans and tomatoes on egg isn't really the most delicious.

Starbucks has unlimited refills on their filter coffee. Its also the cheapest thing they have on their menu. And it doesn't take really that good, but it rains a fuck-ton in the UK.

Everything's expensive here and the weed is brick-weed at best.

Trainhopping is the best way to get around London. Just get behind someone entering the station and hump them past the opening doors. To exit, get behind a businessman--they're quick--and hump him. Also, it was EXTREMELY easier to exit during rushhour. Don't pay for trains--they're too fucking expensive.

---------------------------------------

Alright, we're in France right now (greetings from a McDonald's in Boulogne-sur-mer). Full deets to come soon.

If you're looking for the day-by-day play-by-play, check out:

www.youllhavetowalk.wordpress.com

and

www.eastcackalacky.com

and facebook.com/Eastcackalacky

LOVE,
The Cack.

Reactions: iSTEVEi

iSTEVEi

Reaction score
Good job you missed out Wolverhampton... Its like Birmingham, just as depressing but slightly smaller with a less 'modern' City Center.
Did you Visit Stafford at all? I grew up in Penkridge which is about 5 minutes away.

Reactions: The Cack

Ash Ludd

Reaction score
You should have visited some smaller towns, they're generally way better for busking. And it's not legal to drink in most city centres over here, if you're caught doing it the pigs will probably take your alcohol. But yeah, the weathers shit and so are a lot of the people. If the weather's shit (which it is most of the time) then you're going to have a hard time trying to get people to take their hands out of their pockets.

The Cack

Reaction score
Good job you missed out Wolverhampton... Its like Birmingham, just as depressing but slightly smaller with a less 'modern' City Center.
Did you Visit Stafford at all? I grew up in Penkridge which is about 5 minutes away.

I think we hit Stafford for a minute--I ate GREGGS, pooped in Starbucks, and told the cashiers that everyone in America is stoned. We took the bus there, but the city was cleared out at 6, so we hitched to Newcastle. Is Penkridge good for busking?

The Cack

Reaction score
You should have visited some smaller towns, they're generally way better for busking. And it's not legal to drink in most city centres over here, if you're caught doing it the pigs will probably take your alcohol. But yeah, the weathers shit and so are a lot of the people. If the weather's shit (which it is most of the time) then you're going to have a hard time trying to get people to take their hands out of their pockets.

Yeah, good point on that, but played our "stupid american" card and the cops just told us to move on and not to drink cider. Whatever, that shits awesome.

iSTEVEi

Reaction score
I think we hit Stafford for a minute--I ate GREGGS, pooped in Starbucks, and told the cashiers that everyone in America is stoned. We took the bus there, but the city was cleared out at 6, so we hitched to Newcastle. Is Penkridge good for busking?
Yeah, that sounds like Stafford. Stafford normally draws a good crowd midday on weekends in Summer but being a smaller town most people disperse once they finish work at 5.

I've never seen anyone busking in Penkridge as its pretty small (~10000 people) so Most that live there just take the 5/10 min train journey or take a bus to the larger surrounding towns like Stafford or Wolverhampton if they want to do something remotely interesting. There is however a bi-weekly market (wednesdays and Saturdays 9-3 ish) that draws a decent amount of people from the surrounding towns so If you were to busk then I'm sure you'd make something. But yeah, being between 2 much larger towns they would seem like the better option.

The Cack

Reaction score
We made a video that sort of summed up the experience, though I wanted more about the cops talking about pigs needing little huts... We'll see for part 2...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads