Burying your gear

Reaction score
Website
tofo.me
Waiting out the winter in Cali seems like a reasonable time to stash things not needed while not traveling.

Right now I’ve got a lockable suitcase with a bike lock to secure it to whatever. I don’t stray far from it, but I’m able to keep less of an eye on it in public, and at night on the sidewalk where I sleep I lock it to a pay meter.
The only downside is the tiny wheels on them suitcases, which I will not tolerate and so carry the thing half the time. Next step is to get a hand truck (dolly). I’ll lock the suitcase to that.

And shit the whole contraption could be used as a weight for working out while you wait out the winter.

I’ve also got a heavy duty dry bag. The idea is that when I catch out, this will hold a platypus type reservoir (water). It’s got a good handle on it and will keep the reservoir safe from getting banged around.
(I also happen to have a small pack -35 liters!- so carrying something in at least one hand is gonna be a must for me. Otherwise, I like both hands free)
But when I’m in a town, I can put whatever gear I don’t need (the warmer layers that were only necessary for hopping, travel food -well packaged!- etc) into the dry bag and either cover it somewhere with sticks, or hang it in a tree cause the handle clips open so I can easily put it around any branch that’s arm width or smaller.

train in vain

Reaction score
For real! I wouldn't bury a damn thing. I get what you're saying about being conspicuous and opting to leave the pack hidden though. I guess for me personally I'd have a hard time losing what's in my pack. I'd rather appear conspicuous than get gotten for my warmth, electronics, tools, etc. Take a several hundred dollar hit and be left without any means to replace that shit, hell nah.

I can't count the times I've seen people doing graffiti or stashing something or casing a place out to burglarize and you see them panning their view, looking around frequently. They're legit convinced nobody is watching them, then they make their move. I've watched it numerous times in cities. So who's to say I'm not that sucker, looking around before I stash my pack. Anyone stealing my shit is gonna have to earn it, I'm definitely not laying it down somewhere and just giving it away.

To each their own.

OH YEAH i see people who think theyre being sneaky all the time haha. i usually hide my shit in places where noone is likely to go or be around to see me. trek off into some random trees and cover it up somehow. not saying it couldnt or wont happen but so far so good(in 14 yrs). i take anything valuable with me in a small bag i carry not that anytjing i have is worth shit really haha. most valuable things money wise are the pack and sleeping bag both >$100 new and theyrr very much not new now haha. scanner and phone come with me. id be bummed if my shit was gone for sure though. i also never go too far or for too long if im in a very home bummy area. when i was oitside chicago this summer id leave my gear all day because there was 1 home bum i saw and almost no foot traffic so no one was really lurking around.
blah blah blah...im so bored haha

Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

train in vain

Reaction score
It's a difference if you just hitchhike from city to city, ride freight trains or plan to hike 300 miles in the wilderness, away from civilisation. Obviously.

My point is I experienced many people who were just backpacking in densely populated England living in hostels but hauling around gear as if they would be about to hike 300 miles in the wilderness. :D

IMHO most people who start travelling carry too much. Including me. In the beginning I had a tarp with huge pegs with me I never used, a bulky rain poncho I used once (and it was not even needed then), too much spare clothes I rarely used and so on.

Also, little bits and pieces may not weight too much on they own. But they clutter your backpack and the weight adds up. I mean, first time I even had a compass in my backpack. Wtf? What should I do with a compass in cities? Without even having a map? Useful in the wilderness but I was not doing this. I just packed it because it seems to be a good idea "being outside", lol.
i swear the first train i hopped a guy with me brought A PILLOW. hahaha my pack is usually heavier than most for two mai reasons: art/graffiti supplies and i keep a gallon of water in there. I like my hands to be free unless carrying something is absolutely necesaary. i carry 2 gallons in the real hot months!

Ive seen lots of the hostel yuppy~ish type travelers walking around with huge frame packs carrying all this shit and im wondering wtf its all for theyre basically just staying in a motel room and walking around a city haha. REALLY ROUGHING IT
trevor might need that folding saw to slice a baguette at the coffee shop

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads