Bunker Builder | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Bunker Builder

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
@SnakeOilWilly @jojoofu

eventually I want to buy a mining claim cause u can live on it if u are working it. Maybe have other people help just to have fun squatting. Hand mining isn't very profitable so prolly spend more time fishing lol
I'd be willing to pitch in some money, once I get some, if we were to get a claim we could use as housing and a small scale mining operation. But to be honest, if we go deep enough into the sticks, we could probably get away with digging a mine-like tunnel, with hand tools at least, for quite some time. Log cabins built by mountain men go undiscovered for years, if ever, so a hole in the ground should be fine.

Come February I'll have money for gear/supplies so unless something comes up and this isn't doable I'm game for getting a greyhound up to Eugene or wherever and digging a bitchin' tunnel in the woods. Sounds like fun, and one hell of a squat.

I'll do some more research into building tunnels and mines in the meantime. I'll also look on google maps for old logging roads next to large areas of forest near Eugene or wherever. Let me know where to look.

A

AlwaysLost

I'd be willing to pitch in some money, once I get some, if we were to get a claim we could use as housing and a small scale mining operation. But to be honest, if we go deep enough into the sticks, we could probably get away with digging a mine-like tunnel, with hand tools at least, for quite some time. Log cabins built by mountain men go undiscovered for years, if ever, so a hole in the ground should be fine.

Come February I'll have money for gear/supplies so unless something comes up and this isn't doable I'm game for getting a greyhound up to Eugene or wherever and digging a bitchin' tunnel in the woods. Sounds like fun, and one hell of a squat.

I'll do some more research into building tunnels and mines in the meantime. I'll also look on google maps for old logging roads next to large areas of forest near Eugene or wherever. Let me know where to look.

Awesome bro!! I've been researching claims and it looks like its hard to sqaut on them for long periods so it depends on how remote it is.

Man a log cabin would be cool to. But yeah I just want a super ninja sqaut. A lot of the area is recreational . have to be careful not to build it in a place that will be snowlocked too.

I'm thinking somewhere near McKenzie Bridge or the ranger station so we can ride the bus into town. Along bus route 91.

Hopefully I will get my UI benefits and can afford some gear too.

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
OK so, bus route 91 goes all the way into the willamette forest from Eugene Station which is pretty much in the center of town. I’m guessing there’s a home depot or lowes or something in town to get a shovel, pickaxe, whatever. There are lots of trails around McKenzie Bridge that lead into the woods.

A big issue is the weather. It might still be cold up there in February so maybe wait till march? I’ll have to hitchhike up which should be fine, but if I get work by February I probably won’t be able to make it. It all depends. I’ve been reading different things on how long it’ll take to dig this tunnel and without blasting (which we definitely shouldn’t do) it could take three months+. That’s what it would take to make it liveable. That’s just an estimation though.

Basically I'm 55% on this. I'd like to do this eventually but I might not be able to If I get work which to be honest will take a priority over travel for at least 3 months. After that I'll probably be free to hitchhike or dig tunnels or whatever. Plus I'll have more money for gear. So there is a chance you'll have to start it without me and I can join a little later. It all depends on what happens.

TL;DR: McKenzie bridge is a good spot, February might still be too cold, If I get work by February or some shit comes up, which knowing my luck might I won’t be able to come just then, maybe a little later in the year.

A

AlwaysLost

OK so, bus route 91 goes all the way into the willamette forest from Eugene Station which is pretty much in the center of town. I’m guessing there’s a home depot or lowes or something in town to get a shovel, pickaxe, whatever. There are lots of trails around McKenzie Bridge that lead into the woods.

A big issue is the weather. It might still be cold up there in February so maybe wait till march? I’ll have to hitchhike up which should be fine, but if I get work by February I probably won’t be able to make it. It all depends. I’ve been reading different things on how long it’ll take to dig this tunnel and without blasting (which we definitely shouldn’t do) it could take three months+. That’s what it would take to make it liveable. That’s just an estimation though.

Basically I'm 55% on this. I'd like to do this eventually but I might not be able to If I get work which to be honest will take a priority over travel for at least 3 months. After that I'll probably be free to hitchhike or dig tunnels or whatever. Plus I'll have more money for gear. So there is a chance you'll have to start it without me and I can join a little later. It all depends on what happens.

TL;DR: McKenzie bridge is a good spot, February might still be too cold, If I get work by February or some shit comes up, which knowing my luck might I won’t be able to come just then, maybe a little later in the year.

Sounds good! Yeah February may still be snowed in. My lease is up mid February so that's when I plan on beginning my journey. I might scamtrack (if my back pay ever comes in jeebus) but otherwise I'm going to have to hitch/hop my way there.

And don't worry if you can't make it right away or not at all. You are welcome anytime. I know how life is no biggie.

I just plan on making that area my playground until my ssi comes thru. Can pan for gold and rockhunt fish kayaking etc. I hear Eugene is really friendly with a lot of resources.

I don't know how feasible a tunnel is but its an idea ihave. Maybe well get lucky and find a cave full of fire opals.

Just think it would be so cool to have a ninja spot to store stuff and sleep with nobody mess in with it. I'd be down even with somesort of wooden shelter in a good location.

Hope to have some cool cats to share it with. Its no fun being alone all the time. Be cool if u can make it but no stress man!

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to try building some of these. Where I'm located we have the perfect materials. Out in the New Jersey Pine Barrens we have loads of both dead cedar trees and Spagnum moss. I'd just have to moth ball it when away for an extended period of time, so as to keep the coyotes and rattlesnakes from taking it over in my absence.

In the hardwood forests near me we have lots of black locust trees. Black locust logs are very strong and rot resistant, even when buried in soil or submerged in water... for years.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads