Bunker Builder

A

AlwaysLost

Okay so my plan is to live way out in the forest. But I want to build my own bunker with a concealed entrance like the genius Mexican guy did in the park. Hopefully the remote location and hidden shelter entrance will allow me to keep it. This video would make a good beginning entrance I think.

I will name my shelter 'Khazad Dum' after the famous Dwarven Mines of yore.

If you all have any experience or resources for entrenchments, mining, tunneling, concealment I'd be eternally grateful. I don't want to be the bum who cries while BLM destroys his log cabin he lived in for years.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Mankini
A

AlwaysLost

Disco Dave's Protest Tunnel s

http://www.discodavestunnelguide.com/index.htm

A bunker structure should be as strong as possible and made with large timbers 4x4. to be able to support the large mound of spoil which will be tipped upon it. A basic frame can be made in much the same way as you shore a chamber. Burying the uprights would also provide stability.

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
  • Sad

todd

Reaction score
tar paper and plastic sheathing under soil helps with moisture

jojoofu

Reaction score
If you need another crazy person to bunk with keep me in mind. I just marked a spot in Montana at the Lolo reserve. I might border hop into Canada next but not until it gets warmer.

A

AlwaysLost

look up yaks/bunkers in arcata forest

I'm not going to live like that though. I'm a keep everything nice and tidy. Going to try and clean up the rest of the forest ie abandoned camps to try and offset my footprint.

Definitely will not trash up the place the goal is to be completely ninja with a concealed entrance.

A

AlwaysLost

Unless you're digging into a hillside begin with a downshaft.

hand tools. A pick, shovel, spade, 1 or 2 buckets, a small trowel, a tape measure, a wood saw, a hammer, 5 or 6 inch nails, a club hammer and building materials.

Dig vertical shaft approximately 4 feet square to a depth of 6 feet then square the walls of the shaft as best you can before measuring up for shoring.

A

AlwaysLost

If you need another crazy person to bunk with keep me in mind. I just marked a spot in Montana at the Lolo reserve. I might border hop into Canada next but not until it gets warmer.

Do you know if there is any gold silver or mithril up there? Be a shot in the dark but would be cool to find precious metal.

jojoofu

Reaction score
Do you know if there is any gold silver or mithril up there? Be a shot in the dark but would be cool to find precious metal.

Wait , mithril , are we playing World of Warcraft :) There are a lot of mountains and bears. You'd have to have some heavy mining equipment to extract anything from there.

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
Living in the woods has been a thing I've always wanted to do, so I've done some research into it in the past. I've not heard of anyone tunneling in the wilderness, at least not without putting some sort of bunker or bomb shelter in. I'll give this much advice; build lots of support.

Mithril? Are we talking about the planet earth or runescape? But on the topic of gold, it's everywhere, the only variable is the quantity and effort it takes to extract it.

A

AlwaysLost

Living in the woods has been a thing I've always wanted to do, so I've done some research into it in the past. I've not heard of anyone tunneling in the wilderness, at least not without putting some sort of bunker or bomb shelter in. I'll give this much advice; build lots of support.

Mithril? Are we talking about the planet earth or runescape? But on the topic of gold, it's everywhere, the only variable is the quantity and effort it takes to extract it.

Im hoping I do OK. I have never lived out there long term fortunately there is a bus into town so as long as it doesn't get snowed in or i get injured I should be fine. Hopefully lol...

I will def be using a lot of support. I heard you should never work more than an arm and a half past your support? TY for the advice I preciate u taking the time.

I don't really expect to find any ores unless I pan it out of the creek. The Mithril was just a little Lotr humour since I'm naming the place Moria. I loved the hobbit when I was a kid

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score

Here's a video, the first in a series, of a guy making a mine. Should be the same general principal. Dig down a ways, tunnel, add support.

To be honest I wouldn't mind coming along to help out if you could use an extra hand. No guarantees but it's looking like the slab city library won't necessarily need me, so I will head north for the summer if they don't. This really depends on where and when your doing this as I'm not really available until early February. I'd also recommend not starting until after winter as that gives you the best weather. Digging a hole in the snow is hell on earth.

A

AlwaysLost

Here's a video, the first in a series, of a guy making a mine. Should be the same general principal. Dig down a ways, tunnel, add support.

To be honest I wouldn't mind coming along to help out if you could use an extra hand. No guarantees but it's looking like the slab city library won't necessarily need me, so I will head north for the summer if they don't. This really depends on where and when your doing this as I'm not really available until early February. I'd also recommend not starting until after winter as that gives you the best weather. Digging a hole in the snow is hell on earth.

Awesome. I won't be ready to go until around February either. I was thinking somewhere in the cascades (I think that's the chain) outside of Eugene..

I'd definitely rather camp out with someone so that wood be awesome. The bumps in the night are scary alone lol.

Winter up there I hear is a beast and I need a couple seasons to toughen myself up. I might head for slabs if I get evicted early

Cool video too thanks!! IMA watch them. E

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads