Bruce Penninsula

JungleBoots

Reaction score
For anyone out in Onterio one of my favorite places on Gods green earth is Bruce Penninusla. Its that little skinny bit of land between Lake Huron and the Georgian bay. Its a tiny little sliver of land hosting two national parks and over a dozen nature reserves.

But my favorite place there has to be the small tourist town of Tobermorey. Its a little marine town at the very tip. the people there are honestly some of the nicest i have ever met, and the little shops are filled with great trinkets and good beer. I still havent tasted any beer better than a bottle of Rickerts Red from the little bar first on the right when you pull in to the shiney little town. Dont know if you are interested in ferry rides but if you are flowerpot island is a realy great location. only about a three minutes walk from one side to the other at any point you can look out onto Lake Huron and see nothing but the most blue water. But once you get into the dense forest of the island you hear absolutely nothing of the water that surrounds you. just absolute silence.

Summer is really a beautiful time to visit, the parks and Tobermorey are bustleing with people. But i prefer the quiet of early September. the weather is still very inviting and you might get lucky to find seven or eight camps in the entire park.

that reminds me, Bruce peninusla National park is also fan-fucking-tastic. The hiking trails are a bit limited but the destinations they take you too, like the Grotto, or the old Log drop (w/e it was called) are glorious.The peninsula is part of the Niagra Escarpment, a ring of dense limestone and dolostone around the great lakes. This limestone makes for some amazing 300 foot cliffs dropping right down into 500 foot deep lake water, and thus also incredible rock climbing.

A really fun thing that i experienced during my two visits over the past six years was going to one of said three hundred foot cliff faces when i was 17 climbing and having fun with friends. and then coming back to the same cliff face four years latter to find half of it had erroded and already fallen off into the water. It maked me realize how quickly the earth itselve changes shape in even as short a time as a few years.

all in all if you are backpacking around Onterio, it is a must see.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads