Bringing a banjo on trains

Murkyerky

Reaction score
So this is gonna sound kind of dumb but I’ll be hitting the rails as a greenhorn soon here. I’ll be with some friends. They hop with really nice guitars and are able to maintain them, but they’ve been at it for a longggg time . I wanna bring my main banjo which is a nicer banjo I got back when I had money. But I’m worried I’ll ruin it. I feel inspired since they are out there playing nice instruments. Anyone here ride rails with a nice instrument?? Looking for more extensive advice for a newbie. I have a cheap banjo I just hate it

hoebosto

Reaction score
be prepared to get caught in the rain, fluctuating temps and humidities..and for it to get banged around. the road is unkind to instruments. however, a banjo maker in texas told me that they are pretty tough instruments comparatively to guitars.. but maybe could take your cheap one out for your first tour and decide if you would wanna put your nice one through that after you have gained some experience?

Murkyerky

Reaction score
be prepared to get caught in the rain, fluctuating temps and humidities..and for it to get banged around. the road is unkind to instruments. however, a banjo maker in texas told me that they are pretty tough instruments comparatively to guitars.. but maybe could take your cheap one out for your first tour and decide if you would wanna put your nice one through that after you have gained some experience?
That seems like the move. Yes they are very sturdy, and easy to replace part since it’s mostly bolts. The one I would take woth me I’ve dragged around on smaller adventures and it’s even fallen off a cliff and was good. I’d keep it wrapped in bubble wrap and in garbage bags inside the case when I’m on the move. I think the cheap one will be the move flthought for the first hop. I’m mostly worried about getting it stolen. I’m pretty good with keeping my witts and staying low key when need to be but there’s always that chance

Reactions: hoebosto

Tony G

Reaction score
That seems like the move. Yes they are very sturdy, and easy to replace part since it’s mostly bolts. The one I would take woth me I’ve dragged around on smaller adventures and it’s even fallen off a cliff and was good. I’d keep it wrapped in bubble wrap and in garbage bags inside the case when I’m on the move. I think the cheap one will be the move flthought for the first hop. I’m mostly worried about getting it stolen. I’m pretty good with keeping my witts and staying low key when need to be but there’s always that chance
Eh nobodys gonna steal a banjo but they are good instruments i carry a fender va its neck folds its great but any instrument you take on the road will get banged up and wet hell im in the pnw all wooden instruments swell when wet so.just be careful with it you should be fine

Reactions: hoebosto

hoebosto

Reaction score
tweakers will absolutely try to steal your instruments while you sleep if you havent a dog alarm. and then you may need to rebuy it from the pawn shop.. just use your common sense when bedding down..

Reactions: lizZzard

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads