Bright colored gear

Zbart1108

Reaction score
I read somewhere once about someone saying they had used a bright green or orange vest that helped them look more like some kind of laborer that in turn helped them get rides as well as less harassment by the powers that be. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this approach in traveling...both hitching and hopping out.
Seems like it may be a way to come up with a good story as to whom you might be and what you might be going.
I have a friend that actually did this, to pick mushrooms along 99 outside of Chico. Grabbed a vest hanging by the exit at a Grocery store, put it on when he got to the highway...had a chp stop ask him what was up...he gave a bullshit story about being a botanist studying poisonous mushrooms...the chp drove off and waved every day he went bye on his route, LMAO.
So, there has to be something to this I'm guessing...any thoughts?

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I actuallymet someone this summer that has a orange vest... though uses it riding his old schwinn in the shitty city suburb traffic. Great idea on the bs story studying mushrooms... but it could back fire ifyou get someone that checks up on the details

• Useful
Reactions: nivoldoog

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
I have a waterproof hi-Vis coat I wear for farm work, it's bright orange at the top and dark blue at the bottom and looks like the coats postal workers wear over here. It's great, nobody pays the blindest bit of notice to you if you're wearing hi-vis. You can shop lift, ask people questions, sneak places you're not meant to be and people assume you're allowed. They also, if asked later about your appearance can usually only remember that you were wearing a hi-vis jacket or vest. It's great attire for sneaking into music festivals. People just assume that someone in hi-vis has authority.

Rail workers in the UK wear bright orange so if you ever want to trespass on the railways over here that's the colour to wear.

starfarer

Reaction score
I have a waterproof hi-Vis coat I wear for farm work, it's bright orange at the top and dark blue at the bottom and looks like the coats postal workers wear over here. It's great, nobody pays the blindest bit of notice to you if you're wearing hi-vis. You can shop lift, ask people questions, sneak places you're not meant to be and people assume you're allowed. They also, if asked later about your appearance can usually only remember that you were wearing a hi-vis jacket or vest. It's great attire for sneaking into music festivals. People just assume that someone in hi-vis has authority.

Rail workers in the UK wear bright orange so if you ever want to trespass on the railways over here that's the colour to wear.
Wearing tweeds, barbour etc in rural areas, even if your filthy, man I get away with virtually anything!thank fuck for OXFAM (BTW you look HEAPS like my sister nat)

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dude I used to hitch in cali with nothing but an orange traffic vest on and shorts.

It was mainly for visibility, but het, I got a lot of rides....

Reactions: Zbart1108

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads