Photos Blue Granite Quarry - Winnsboro, SC

Ferryn

Reaction score
This is one of many good swimholes in SC, and my personal favorite. It's been closed for over 60 years, and has been around for centuries before that. The state doesn't have too much to offer, so take advantage of what you can. The water temperature is mild all year, and there's a variety of heights to jump from. It's in the middle of nowhere, but there's a good crust scene in Columbia where you can network and get rides.
IMGP0949.jpg

I have spent weeks at a time camping here, and I've never had problems.
IMGP0975.jpg

I love watching nature reclaim man-made machinery.
IMGP0983.jpg

Probably not worth traveling across country for, but if you're in the area, it's a hit.
IMGP1042.jpg

You don't really need any gear to stay out here, the weather is always mild. Also, there's plenty of insulated shelters still standing.
IMGP1151.jpg

And under the rare circumstance that you're on two wheels, the trails are great.
IMGP1159.jpg

Reactions: kaichulita

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Nice! I spent a lot of High School time in the several quarries around where I live. hehe including one that I found out later is an EPA Superfund site - guess the farmer buried 50 gallon barrels of chemicals in the deep water. ha no wonder there was a no trespassing sign on it. Swallowed enough of that water - I should glow in the dark ;) But oh that was fun!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads