Blow out/ditch kit | Squat the Planet

Blow out/ditch kit

N0MAD

Reaction score
So i'm not sure where to put this, wither here or in rubber tramping hopefully here will suffice.

I'm looking to put together some kid of blow out/ emergency kit or bag for use when i balls up in the middle of no where. I used to have one but i cannibalised it for parts and no need to get something together.

So I'm just asking has anyone else/ any fellow rubber trampers got a similar kit, and if so what do you have in it?

ATB keep on travelling, Sam

Carlvanguyrios

Reaction score
Spare tire kit and jack are essential for obvious reasons, gas jug, plenty of flash lights, Triple A membership and jumper cables. Also learn to check fluids. It's not hard. Transmission fluid is checked when the motor is hot. (turn off engine and immediately pull dipstick, wipe off, stick back in, and pull out, then check fluid level). Oil is the same exact thing but check when it is cold. A lot of break-down/ calling triple A situations can be avoided by these simple things. Also keep some extra of those two things as well as coolant! Coolant is the stuff in that white jug under the hood. It has markings on it telling you if it's low or not. If a transmission starts to act up, often it is because of low transmission fluid. It may not be a permanent fix to add fluid, but it can be, or at least keep you moving.

As far as comfort, they make these awesome D battery powered fans that are clip on to things and are also lights. Pretty handy. Also, I personally go crazy on candles. Whenever I find a dollar candle, I'll try that shit out. I light them whenever I'm just hanging out in or around the van. They provide extra light at night. And it's nice knowing my van isn't a stinky hippy van if I ever have company. :)

I also have 2 tool baskets. One for smaller items like super glue, extra bulbs, etc. And one for bigger tools like a socket set, spray paint, etc.

I also carry a ton of oatmeal and berries. It stays good for ever, and is an easy, cheap, and tasty way to feed yourself or a bunch of friends if you want to. I usually start my day with a big ol bowl of that and some nescafe instant coffee made on the stove. My morning routine is definitely one of my favorite parts of van life. I love popping the doors open and hanging out making my food and coffee then enjoying it and feeling the morning air.

Also, my buddy took a long broom stick and zip tied it to the non-used rear seat belt things to use as a clothes hanger. This is awesome because it allows me to hang clothes and open up a ton of space.

I know this is kind of a shitty answer to your question about a bag but hopefully it can give you an idea or two for it.

Good luck and safe travels!

Also one thing that helped me out a lot was forcing myself to spend like half a day inside the van for the sole purpose of organization. Just figure out exactly what should be grouped together and what you might not need. Organization is key to happiness in van/ car life.

Ok this post is annoying long. Sorry I'm just enthousiastic and love talking about this stuff. Love and good vibes. haha

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
...and a god damn steel reserve

^Essential. 3 items rolled into one. Emergency food, water, and warmth. Not to mention a shiity-day-fixer.

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My kit usually includes a small pack, "The 10 essentials", first aid, an MRE or two, a gallon of water, a book, and some form of communication/signaling.

N0MAD

Reaction score
Spare tire kit and jack are essential for obvious reasons, gas jug, plenty of flash lights, Triple A membership and jumper cables. Also learn to check fluids. It's not hard. Transmission fluid is checked when the motor is hot. (turn off engine and immediately pull dipstick, wipe off, stick back in, and pull out, then check fluid level). Oil is the same exact thing but check when it is cold. A lot of break-down/ calling triple A situations can be avoided by these simple things. Also keep some extra of those two things as well as coolant! Coolant is the stuff in that white jug under the hood. It has markings on it telling you if it's low or not. If a transmission starts to act up, often it is because of low transmission fluid. It may not be a permanent fix to add fluid, but it can be, or at least keep you moving.

As far as comfort, they make these awesome D battery powered fans that are clip on to things and are also lights. Pretty handy. Also, I personally go crazy on candles. Whenever I find a dollar candle, I'll try that shit out. I light them whenever I'm just hanging out in or around the van. They provide extra light at night. And it's nice knowing my van isn't a stinky hippy van if I ever have company. :)

I also have 2 tool baskets. One for smaller items like super glue, extra bulbs, etc. And one for bigger tools like a socket set, spray paint, etc.

I also carry a ton of oatmeal and berries. It stays good for ever, and is an easy, cheap, and tasty way to feed yourself or a bunch of friends if you want to. I usually start my day with a big ol bowl of that and some nescafe instant coffee made on the stove. My morning routine is definitely one of my favorite parts of van life. I love popping the doors open and hanging out making my food and coffee then enjoying it and feeling the morning air.

Also, my buddy took a long broom stick and zip tied it to the non-used rear seat belt things to use as a clothes hanger. This is awesome because it allows me to hang clothes and open up a ton of space.

I know this is kind of a shitty answer to your question about a bag but hopefully it can give you an idea or two for it.

Good luck and safe travels!

Also one thing that helped me out a lot was forcing myself to spend like half a day inside the van for the sole purpose of organization. Just figure out exactly what should be grouped together and what you might not need. Organization is key to happiness in van/ car life.

Ok this post is annoying long. Sorry I'm just enthousiastic and love talking about this stuff. Love
and good vibes. haha

Thanks for the reply, I know my basic mechanics almost ended up as a mechanical engineer, I've got a 'recovery and tool kit' that i have the majority of what i need,

Unfortunately space for me is limited because life is rubbish and i canae afford much, I'm currently travelling out of a MPV but i do have my sites set on a nice van at some point.

Reactions: Carlvanguyrios

N0MAD

Reaction score
My kit usually includes a small pack, "The 10 essentials", first aid, an MRE or two, a gallon of water, a book, and some form of communication/signaling.

what kind of pack are you using? Also what are you using for emergency comms?

Carlvanguyrios

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I know my basic mechanics almost ended up as a mechanical engineer, I've got a 'recovery and tool kit' that i have the majority of what i need,

Unfortunately space for me is limited because life is rubbish and i canae afford much, I'm currently travelling out of a MPV but i do have my sites set on a nice van at some point.

I hear ya! Best of luck to you. I hope you post updates on your van life!

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
what kind of pack are you using? Also what are you using for emergency comms?
Just a small backpack. Usually in case of breaking down in the middle of nowhere and having to walk to a town/phone.

As far as comms, I have a phone and hand held CB.

N0MAD

Reaction score
I hear ya! Best of luck to you. I hope you post updates on your van life!

Thank you, and to you.
I will post updates when i have updates to post.

At the moment i am just trying to save up some money to be able to afford it. For the moment i it's just going to be my own two feet and the tiny car i've got out front

ATB keep on travelling,

Nomad

N0MAD

Reaction score
Just a small backpack. Usually in case of breaking down in the middle of nowhere and having to walk to a town/phone.

As far as comms, I have a phone and hand held CB.

How do you find the CB?

ATB keep travelling

nomad

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Mine was given to me by my grandfather. But if I'd imagine you can find them on Amazon or something. There are a couple hundred bucks.

N0MAD

Reaction score
Aon bhealach Dude An bhfuil tú dáiríre ón BYC ?? !! Bhí mé ann go cothrom le déanaí !!! :) Cuz má tá, ansin is a fhios agat ní mór duit a athrú ar an deilbhín bratach beag ar yer phróifíl. =)

No, im not from betws-y-coed and i'm not actually in betws-y-coed i'm a few miles down the road, i'm here for work. regarding the flag, if i knew how too i would.

but with all due respect i don't see how this is relevant

Reactions: Testicool

youngbuckwithapickuptruck

Reaction score
i had a fast slow leak after 6pm so i had to wait till the am for a tireshop. someone let spare tire key handle fall out the passenger side of my truck so i couldnt put on my spare and then i had to park on dirt so i set my bottle jack on top of my cast iron pan and jacked my flat tire up to the point where most the weight was on the jack, not the tire. then in the morning, air was still in my tire, woo hoo

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads