Aspen, CO

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
You can catch a bus here from Glenwood Springs. If you stop at the soup kitchen or homeless shelter they can give you a free ticket into Aspen. Once there, there are innumerable places to camp within walking distance of downtown, two temp labor places with lots of work, a homeless day center with coffee, pastries, internet, laundry and shower. They have dinner every night around 6 pm. From December 1st to around April, the day center and the Catholic church let you stay in the church basement during the night. The library is great.

kidbob

Reaction score
this is very very good information to know thank you for sharing

Last edited by a moderator:

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Is snow weight,snow melt,water run off

Only thing I can think of here... I think I got this idea from that "mesa" doc... ... anyway. find a way to dig your pit east west... and orient it with an incline to the rising sun and create a way for the snowmelt to run off. ... though... depends on what kind of dirtpit, lean-to... roof your gonna have... a simple tarp may not cut it... snow is heavy... maybe corrugated aluminum? Has bends in it for runoff and you could maybe reinforce it somehow.

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah. If you have any questions, lemme know. I got there last April 20th or so, and camped continuously until about 6 weeks ago. I earned about 3000 bucks working temp construction there; not even working the whole time, just when I needed to. the temp offices drive you right to the jobsites. the city buses are free, and get you all over town. the only thing to be concerned about is large animals-elk and bears, can bug you...so you should have a can of pepperspray just in case, and not camp where these critters like to live.

• Useful
Reactions: Coywolf

kidbob

Reaction score
I do have some questions..but ive asked them in another thread i made about :colorado/anywhere with snow :)

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
So i been searchin the forums
Lookin for advise on perma-campin
Up in the mountains of colorado...or anywhere cold snowy and high altitude.
Ive been to a couple rainbow gatherings and i noticed most camps where dug into the earth..with tarps over em...i like that idea...dig a pit,pitch my tent,cover with tarp and remain hidden behind my dirt dunes.ive also thought about diggin a burn pit aswell.
What gets my curiosty..
Is snow weight,snow melt,water run off and adequate ventilation.i dont really "need" a fire pit...but sometimes id like to use one.so that kinda eliminates posting up in town behind a goodwill or (insert ur goto dumpster)
digging the pit for my shelter depends soley on the ground...and my ability to manipulate my enviroment.but it also depends on where im at...most rainbow gatherings are on national forest land and their allowed to dig them holes and a pit..but i dont exactly know the circumstances in which that happens.
Ive seen some sneeaky ass hideaways just behind the cover of bushes...

I appoligize...i ramble a lot
I just wanna know some oppinions (good or bad) on campin in the snow...

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah! My first camp in Aspen was in town, up a little hiking trail near a park. I found a tree with an already made pit beneath it, soft because squirrels had dropped twigs and pine cone litter there for years. I have a feeling that pit may have been a bear's hibernation spot. This was late April, so who knows? That being said, I spread my mat and sleeping bag in the pit, which was well-concealed by the lowest branches of the tree. Over the pit, I hung a camouflage poncho liner and a tarp. Both together held in a lot of warmth. There was no chance of hikers, joggers, or other characters finding this spot. I checked it out from several angles and it could not be seen from 6 feet away due to it being mostly underground. Why don't you come check out Durango? I've been here since before Halloween and it's much warmer and sunnier than Aspen and the high country. My biggest problem is: typical day camping in Aspen involves getting up at around 7 am, walking into town, working or shopping for groceries, a little time at the library to check email or charge devices, then return to camp....it's too chilly to read or do much of anything, so ya just have to get down inside your bag and go to sleep. even if it's early and the sun has just gone down...If you can dig yourself a lair, that would be great! There's a hillside across from the music school where you could squat for any length of time with an underground setup like you're talkin about. I scouted Aspen extensively to find an appropriate campsite. The city is surrounded by great potential places for what youre talking about. Of course there's always Difficult campground 5 miles east of town. In answer to your question, with enough paracord, tarps, and cardboard, you can do anything. And there are lots of nice rocks everywhere to build firepits or reinforce walls.

Reactions: Kal and Odin

kidbob

Reaction score
Yeah! My first camp in Aspen was in town, up a little hiking trail near a park. I found a tree with an already made pit beneath it, soft because squirrels had dropped twigs and pine cone litter there for years. I have a feeling that pit may have been a bear's hibernation spot. This was late April, so who knows? That being said, I spread my mat and sleeping bag in the pit, which was well-concealed by the lowest branches of the tree. Over the pit, I hung a camouflage poncho liner and a tarp. Both together held in a lot of warmth. There was no chance of hikers, joggers, or other characters finding this spot. I checked it out from several angles and it could not be seen from 6 feet away due to it being mostly underground. Why don't you come check out Durango? I've been here since before Halloween and it's much warmer and sunnier than Aspen and the high country. My biggest problem is: typical day camping in Aspen involves getting up at around 7 am, walking into town, working or shopping for groceries, a little time at the library to check email or charge devices, then return to camp....it's too chilly to read or do much of anything, so ya just have to get down inside your bag and go to sleep.

I am a tree climber by trade...sorta like a lumber jack but any way..i aint afraid of work and i own my own equipment..i intend to work my ass off once i get base set up..im also a bit of a prepper..that being said.i have a solar charger and lookin into a genni...but for now...my honda makes due.i also use my laptop as a battery bank and i have an app for my phone thanks to aptoid that allows me to hotspot for free...so im good on stayin hunkered down for days at a time.cold? i plan on not being cold.i got gear for days(imma prepper)handy with a penny stove and aware of the benifits of mylar.
I might stop through tho...see what u got goin down..maybe share some kbowledge ;)

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like you'd do great around Pitkin county. They have more work than people to do it. The temp agencies are always struggling, at least during the summer, to find enough people to do all the assignments. They were saying that landscapers in Carbondale were getting 15-18 per hour. And refusing to temp anymore in Aspen because of jobs like that! I never tried winter camping long term. A few days in Vermont; a few days in Colorado. But in general I hate the cold and will do anything to avoid it. Life was good when I had a van. I ripped the backseats out and made a bed back there. But the tranny dropped out and so I gave it away. Then I got a military surplus sleep system: Gore-Tex bivy, 30 degree bag, and inner fleece liner. Cheap tent and a hammock; lots of long underwear, down jacket, etc. I'm not much of a prepper. I'm too tied to civilization I guess. I like being close to town, groceries, people. Good luck man!

kidbob

Reaction score
After ten yrs on and off the road ive just become more adept to the situations i guess.never been one to waller in my missouri and hope for a hand out..so i learned a trade and tryin to figure out how to adapt my trade to my travels.
In the mean time..ive prepped for my next adventure lol this time its winter wanderlust lol...tired of the same ol vagrant vacation down south and back
Plus...i just love colorado...lived there in a cave and as a closet gnome.im aware of the daily labor situation lol it is a plus i speak spanish and english and can muster portiguise... I make a verying amount in pay....tge cost of tree removal varies dependi.g o the size of tree...i also fot 3 yrs experiance trimmin medical...so any info on grow ops would help !
I know process from seed to harvest

Reactions: Mankini

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Great info, I wonder if it is still like this....Considering checking out glenwood/aspen and moving from Bend.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Whaaaaaa?! Hell ya man, I have to make some plans.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
nice. I have to get over to aspen one of these day and check it out. seems like a nice place. I was cruising for music online and found this youtube channel called "Gondola sessions" that records musicians playing on the ski lift there. Some good music and I came across a local group that plays here on the island:

Jram

Reaction score
Aspen sounds great! I've been there before, but only just passing through. I always just assumed it was for the rich only. I'm in a van, are there places to park for free do you know?

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Yes. Not even necessarily outside city limits but away from activity and residential neighborhoods where youd be sniffed out easily.

Jram

Reaction score
Cool. I'm currently in my third winter of holing up in Texas (Austin area) and it's getting a little old. I miss cold and snow and evergreen trees... Haven't seen a whole lot of the western slope of Colorado except for Durango and Glenwood Springs/Aspen area, and that was just passing through. I'll be investigating further...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads