Better now than never | Squat the Planet

Better now than never

Reaction score
Hello transient folk.

I am new here, just started my account yesterday just been reading posts getting a feel for the community and what not. So far love the vibes, love the stories and can’t wait to hopefully make some friends here. Anyways, on to it.

I’m from a boring little place called Fredericton, New Brunswick. Frederwhere, New Brunswho, You ask? Exactly.

Nothing goes on here as far as music or anything interesting really. Everyone goes to the same 3 bars and listens to the same shitty trap music until they either leave, or die. I choose life!

Right now I am caring for my mom’s cats but once she has a permanent place and is able to take them back I think instead of renewing a lease and signing up for another year of mentally and emotionally withering away, it will be time for me to make my escape! Hopefully that comes to fruition this summer.

I have a sister in Savannah, Georgia whom I haven’t seen in close to 3 years. I think a visit to her is in order and a one way ticket to GA could be a great way to start my adventure. I’m thinking of a visit in GA with my sis then maybe getting a greyhound to NOLA, I heard the scene there is great and sounds like an awesome place to meet the kind of folks I’m after. Other suggestions are welcome too since I’m just kinda winging it.

A bit about myself, mainly I’m huge into music and have a plethora of instruments I’ve accumulated over the years (which unfortunately I won’t be bringing down at least on my first journey, I’ll be sure to have something on me for musics though). My biggest goal on the road would be to make connections with people I can either make music with and maybe even start a band, or just people who are active in their respective music scenes somehow. If I can’t achieve that and all I get is memories and experience.. well that fucking sucks!! Hahaha jokes. Thats all I’m really after in life so even if I can’t Find a “tribe” that I feel I belong to then I’ll hopefully at least know a bit more about myself when I’m done, it’s a win-win.

I’m not expecting to meet with anyone who’s gonna read this post, as summer is practically a lifetime away at this point. I don’t even expect any replies. I realize the best way of meeting people in this lifestyle is organically through travel. I’m mostly just writing this so that when the time comes where I do want to make a post for whatever reason, I’m not just some random making my first post, so here I am :p

Sorry for the novel, if you made it this far then I owe you a beer. Pick the street and I’ll meet ya… this summer ;)

Berightback

Reaction score
Hey, this may be fortuitous, I'm not far from savanna myself (florence, AL) and I'm in the same mental boat as you, as per travel and aspirations. What's ur main instrumental love? I've played guitar for about 20 years, figure I'll do some busking if I ever get out of here.

Reaction score
Hey, this may be fortuitous, I'm not far from savanna myself (florence, AL) and I'm in the same mental boat as you, as per travel and aspirations. What's ur main instrumental love? I've played guitar for about 20 years, figure I'll do some busking if I ever get out of here.
I mostly play fingerstyle acoustic bluesy stuff when I play guitar, my other main instrument is banjo and I like claw hammer style or just regular picking. I like taking songs that wouldn’t usually have a banjo and arranging them to play on banjo, and I’m pretty good at it usually! Also like learning covers of blues or folk songs and wanna get into writing more originals, another part of why I want to do some travelling; get some inspiration the old fashioned way.

Feel free to send me a message sometime, always interested in talking to like minded souls.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
welcome to StP! let us know if you have any questions or need help finding anything :)

Reactions: hillstreetbill

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads