Beard Maintenance...

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
so i have a beard. it takes a lot more up-keeping than other hair does. for instance, a few days of not washing it and i get face dandruff, raw face and lots of split ends. i hate shaving and have a philosophy(not really) that either you shave, or you don't. and i don't. i've brushed it, trimmed it and even conditioned it, but nothing ever seems to work for more than a week.

does anyone have any tips on keeping your beard not so nasty on the road?

any feedback will help.
thanks,
db

Dial

Reaction score
Using dandruff shampoo on it a couple of times a week would help a lot. And massage a bit of baby oil into your beard, so it gets down to the skin underneath your beard.

Mid

Reaction score
I've heard of guys using a lighter to trim theirs and/or from growing back faster.

dharma bum

Reaction score
baby oil? really?? i can see how that's good for your skin (and believe me, my face can get absolutely RAW under the beard that it itches sooooo much), but i can see it being good for hair also.
thanks for the info.
as to those split ends (usually around my chin area), how can i avoid them without trimming? (it looks like i have lice on my face from a short distance... not now though; just everytime i try to really grow it out).

so... baby oil. thank you dial.

any other suggestions?

uncivilize

Reaction score
When I grow my beard out I just let it grow. I don't wash it everyday, just comb it. I scrape the beard dandruff off as I see it. After a while of not babying your face/beard your face will toughen up and get used to it; it's an adaption process; gotta build up your road armor :D. I stopped using shampoo completely about 8 months ago, only rinse out really well, scrub my scalp and face thoroughly; the natural oils have balanced out, and I have less dandruff than ever before. Now I think dandruff shampoos actually make it worse, they'll clear it up for a few days and then come back with a vengeance. The only shampoo that worked incredibly for me was tar shampoo, though I never see it anywhere and I think it's pretty expensive. Good stuff though, kept the dandruff down for weeks at a time, and it's made from natural tar, smells like train tracks.

Reaction score
Home is where the heart is and my heart is in my c
Do you have a general hair or skin condition, or is this just limited to your beard? Because I normally have the opposite problem, the hair on top of my head takes more maintenance than my beard. Maybe just try the conditioning once a week?

dharma bum

Reaction score
nope.. no kind of conditions. my face just gets irritated when i don't really wash good for a while. usually, when i feel it coming on is when it's time to wash up. after that, it feels better for another week or so.

but seriously... WHAT THE HELL IS TAR SHAMPOO?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads