Photos Barefoot with Huskies

D

Deleted member 21419

Hi Everyone,

My name is Matthew Ashton. I'm new here, I actually found this place by google searching if it's legal to stay on public lands for a while. long story short, my marriage has been on the rocks for 5 years. I always manage to hold it together despite my wife constantly yelling at me and threatening to kick me out over nothing. (and yes I know people will think there's a reason, but there's not. even her own family thinks so.) Because of this I have felt the need to pack a go bag and keep it ready for if she tries to kick me out. Well right now she is trying again over something silly. I am mostly prepared to take myself off grid and just live in a tent (guerilla style) or even build a shelter which would be camouflaged better.

My biggest worry is my huskies. They are my world and at this point, the only friends and family I have. A lot of people suggested i stay with family but I can't because of my dogs, but if I'm homeless I don't know how to provide for their needs either...they are pretty loud when left alone which defeats the stealth camping idea and i don't want anyone to take them...not really sure what my plan is at this point.
IMG_1333.JPG

I have a couple of spots picked out that are close to my work and sufficiently forested in to allow for a stealth camp/bushcraft type of home that would go unnoticed.

Anyways, nice to meet you all!
Matthew

D

Deleted member 2626

Man honestly, I am all animals, I have a dog I've spent everyday with for 7 years crossing the country camped alone, hitch hiking and train hopping etc. blah blah but that many dogs is obsessive. A dog that can carry a pack, keep your shit guarded and you safe and is a friend is great but 5 dogs is annoying. I believe in a mutual presence in comparison with any creature, but any you keep should somehow be of more help then having to drag them around in thick numbers. I'd say narrow down to one or two. I don't think anyone should have 5 dogs. Especially if you raised them indoors fully domesticated.
People are doing nomadic goat herds and sheep in Oregon but house dogs are unsustainable. Most house dogs compare to office humans in my eyes. needy and wasteful and lazy. Sorry, pare down.

D

Deleted member 21419

thanks...for the most part thats true...most dogs would die out quickly without us, however siberians are pack animals and close in genetics to wolves. they are working dogs and great hunters. I own 5 of them so i have a pack for sure.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Have you ever considered moving up to Alaska with your dogs? Might be a good exit strategy if things end between your wife and you and you need a new start? The dogs would love it for sure.

Reactions: Drengor

Drengor

Reaction score
What's your transportation situation like? Are you planning on being on the move or just bunkering down on the edge of town somewhere?

If you invest in a van, and some lumber and labour, you might be able to manage a very snug life with your pack. Outside that, I can only see a life of walking working. It seem's daunting, and you really have to enjoy life day by day. Spending every moment you can with your dogs is going to be key.

It's also a lot of mouths to feed. How are you making money, or getting around the cost?

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
Welcome to STP! Hope to hear things start looking brighter for you in the future.

Wayward Odyssey

Reaction score
It's a tough position to be in for sure since you would have to leave for work or whatever you're planning on doing so even if you had a national forest nearby you wouldn't be able to leave them by themselves unless you fence them in a remote spot somewhere, it would be a hassle either way, I'd try to find someone to look after them for a few months, maybe a friend with a large backyard or something like that then work a seasonal that provides housing for the summer and save up and then when you get back find a place to rent that allows dogs

klaiash

Reaction score
Woah, hold the fuck up.

Huskies are NOT closely related to wolves (not any more than any other breed) and are only pack animals if put to work with a job. If they are loud when left alone that usually means they have separation anxiety. Owning 5 dogs is absurd, especially if your housing situation is unstable. It's bordering animal abuse/neglect if you decide to keep those dogs in an rv or van, and especially since you admitted you don't know how you will take care of their needs while homeless, it is straight up abusive and neglectful of you to take them to be homeless in a tent with you. You need to know when to let things you love go.

Where will they go or what will they do while you're working? Huskies need a lot of stimulation and as you said, are not good being separated from you. How will you carry enough food for them in your pack? One bag of dog food is roughly 40lbs. How will you be able to afford numerous bags of dog food a month? I'm guessing they eat about 40lbs of dog food per week. What will you do when the temperatures are hot and the dogs have no air conditioning, shade or housing? Heat stroke is a serious problem with bigger breeds, especially ones with a double coat. I've known dogs who had homes die due to heat stroke. How will you afford vet/medical bills for them? A broken bone can easily cost you 2-4k, not to mention check ups and other accidents. Supplying 5 dogs off grid with enough fresh water will be a feat in and of itself. My one dog drank about a gallon a day when I was off grid.

Honestly, do you know how to tell if a dog is happy or not? I bet you a pretty penny that at least one or more of those dogs is anxious or depressed because they do not have their needs met. A person without a considerable amount of money or a home cannot take care of 5 dogs for an extended amount of time.

Please, take my advice and find at least 3 of those dogs good homes. I have worked with dogs for almost 10 years now. I have a mother that hoards animals. It doesn't take beating or kicking an animal for it to be abuse. What you're doing is horrible to both the dogs and yourself. Put an end to it. If you love these dogs, let them go, unless you plan on having a new home and the resources to provide for them.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads