Bahamas

Bullet

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done any alternative travel in the Bahamas? There are a lot of really cheap flights and I was thinking about going for a week or two. I don't know if it's decent for camping, etc. or if it would just be a huge pain in the ass because everything is touristy and costs money. Is there any way to travel cheap/free? All I can find online is that locals camp out on the beach all the time, but tourists are discouraged. And people are saying it's "dangerous" (like what? Pirates? Giant starfish?)...I would think that camping outside in San Francisco is infinitely more "dangerous" than camping in the Bahamas?
Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
bump..
i'm also interested in how easy it is to camp on the beaches there and also busking/other means to make money....i'll be sailing there on a ship from the carribbean in the spring and will be working/stayin on the ship most of the time, while its docked however hope to get out and explore the islands some. my brother flies small planes and is willing to take me out anytime so will be cool to explore some of the less touristed spots. i'll be docked in freeport. anyone been thru there?

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
Stay away from Nassau & possibly Freetown..
those are the two main islands that live off tourist money & drug running..
the other islands.. Abaco, Cat Island & all the small ones are where the locals live & the people are friendly & pretty trustworthy..
people think of the :"bahamas" the same way they think of "new york"..
NYC is just a teeny, tiny part of a state with one of the largest public parks system in the US.. Adirondacks, Catskills, & others.. 8 million acres, just in those two alone... soo.. the Bahamas is *not* Nassau & Disneyland, & the folks off island take a lot of exception to being thrown in with them..
the same way upstate new yorkers feel about being thought of as city dwellers, just because people hear "new york"..

anyways..

just bumping because i posted the pics..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads