Backpack tips for those without an A/N store. | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Backpack tips for those without an A/N store.

urchin

Reaction score
Making it off the property would be the least of my issues. I'd still need to escape the police and get home, which would be about five miles away. Not "a lot of stores together" five miles but the kind which would make finding and arresting you an easy task. Stealing stuff like bags or tents is asking to be caught, I think. It's not like swiping food or other smaller things.

Psi em

Reaction score
I can't be coherent so bear with me.

Clearance fabrics can be found at Walmarts that still have fabric sections for $1.00/$1.50 a yard. Fabrics can be used to make tarps, hammocks, bags...

Super easy button hole/blanket sewing stitch I used to make hammocks and canvas containers:

How to waterproof fabrics on the cheap:

How to reinforce a cheap plastic tarp:
DIY $3 Lightweight Tarp

Emergency Space Blankets (mylar) can be purchased for 'bout a dollar a pack. They'll help keep you warm until you can pick up some better gear:
!BM9Qf2wB2k~$(KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmEZt(BJnKvdo2+Q~~_1.jpg

Ummm... That's the most I can think of for now.

Psi em

Reaction score
Federal Surplus Property is donated or sold dirt cheap to organizations that assist the poor. So if your thrift store, Salvation Army or Rescue Mission is worth a damn, they should have some surplus gear in stock.

I just got an Alice Pack for $5 and a frame for $20. This thing is freakin' massive.

If all else fails, gather up some scrap wood, a hammer, nails and make a wooden backpack. ^^

wooden-backpack.jpg

urchin

Reaction score
Couldn't you just hit up a thrift store or a/n store on your way out towards atlanta? Lots of those here

No. I don't live near Atlanta. I'm in Jacksonville and when I hitch back to Warner Robins I'm likely to completely miss Savannah. There are no other A/N stores between Savannah and Atlanta outside of the base and I can't get onto it.

urchin

Reaction score
Federal Surplus Property is donated or sold dirt cheap to organizations that assist the poor. So if your thrift store, Salvation Army or Rescue Mission is worth a damn, they should have some surplus gear in stock.

I just got an Alice Pack for $5 and a frame for $20. This thing is freakin' massive.

If all else fails, gather up some scrap wood, a hammer, nails and make a wooden backpack. ^^

wooden-backpack.jpg

They don't, at least the last time I was in the area they didn't. I called and visited more times than I would want to admit. As far as the wooden pack idea goes, I know it's a joke but fuck that idea.

Weston

Reaction score
If you find a Goodwill or Salvation Army store check the trailers behind the stores. I found one that was unlocked every night because it was backed up to the loading bay and I guess they didn't realize anyone would snoop so closely. I scavenged and looted there for 3 YEARS before they just put a lock on it.

In TOTALLY UNRELATED news - locks can be bypassed with a pick set.

Bizarre Odor

Reaction score
If you find a Goodwill or Salvation Army store check the trailers behind the stores. I found one that was unlocked every night because it was backed up to the loading bay and I guess they didn't realize anyone would snoop so closely. I scavenged and looted there for 3 YEARS before they just put a lock on it.

In TOTALLY UNRELATED news - locks can be bypassed with a pick set.

If you carry a lock pick kit, bolt cutters, etc I highly recommend being low profile about it, if you are being searched in an area with lots of break-ins the cops can easily entrap you if they find your kit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads