Backpack tips for those without an A/N store. | Squat the Planet

Backpack tips for those without an A/N store.

urchin

Reaction score
Where I live, in the middle Georgia area, the only A/N store closed years ago (the building is still there however if you want to squat there). Although this is a base area it's pretty much impossible to get stuff like packs and tents unless you go to Academy or Dick's, where they charge a hefty amount of money. I'm not good at sewing at all and I seriously doubt the mentioned stores throw away things like packs, tents, and other essentials. Does anyone have any tips? For those of you who might recommend getting a job around here the opportunities suck, especially if you don't know someone. I've been trying for months and the best thing I got were two interviews.

urbanflow

Reaction score
my advice? buy a tarp and a cheap bag from walmart, spend some change at an rei/mes or raid their dumpsters or at least go online. there isnt a whole lot you can do if you cant do any of them.

if you have a salvation army or other thrift stores in the area thats probably your best bet.

urchin

Reaction score
There is no REI or MEI in the area. I think the closest is Atlanta, which is a two-hour drive. I also think the area theft stores are all gone (at least where I am now they are).

I suppose Slavation Army will have to be where I look.

menu

Reaction score
you could always steal a pack. you got legs. run. or if you're actually trying to get a pack to travel with just leave town and gear up in a place with more to offer. I feel that some of these threads could be avoided if all we did was think it through. anyway. good luck holmes

urchin

Reaction score
I would do the run option, believe me, but I'm known to a degree around here (went to school here, mom's a well-known nurse, JUST got out of court for taping the pigs, media would run the photo/video and I used to work at the tv station, etc.) so that would be a bit of a dumb move on my behalf.

The nearest towns are Byron (maybe ten miles away) and Macon (about twenty). All three cities (this one is Warner Robins) are pretty open areas so I can't duck away from anyone without a bit of a run and the pigs are everywhere. Some will not hesitate to run you over or shoot you if you run, especially if you're black or Hispanic (I'm the former).

urchin

Reaction score
Once my sister's wedding is over (I have to be there for several reasons) I'm getting out of town. I've been looking around for a bag to put my gear in but short of a standard bookbag and suitcase bag, I have nothing.

dprogram

Reaction score
A bookbag works fine too man. How much stuff do you really need to carry? Roll your tarp in your sleeping bag and tie it to the top or bottom of your bookbag then you're golden. Craigslist would be great in the barter section...since you want to travel light anyway get rid of random stuff you wont need. Also there is a free and wanted section...check out local garage sales...if you dont have the money for it tell the folks you'll do some labor for the stuff you need. Just ideas I'm throwing out there...

urchin

Reaction score
I'm lucky in that my brother said I can keep my stuff at his place so I'm not looking to carry a large amount. At the moment I'm thinking lighters, sleeping bag, tarp/tent, combat knife, collapsible baton, Swiss army knife (these will be on my belt/inside pocket). In the bag I want to have some extra clothes, several bottles of water, and of course an area for food. I'm likely to carry my iPod so maybe pick up a solar charger if they're worth it (I've heard different things about different companies and saw the forum posts about them) as well as my laptop. There will be a few books as well, though I have a good amount of them on my iPod as well.

I'm sure I'm underprepared, I just want space for the stuff I'm missing.

urbanflow

Reaction score
go steal an SOL thermal bivvy. good ground sheet and adds quite a bit of warmth for those cold nights. its also small as hell when rolled up and thrown in its stuff sack.

macon georgia right? isnt there some freight lines that run through there? i would just hit the rails and steal from other towns places or work and buy some shit. remember, places like REI and MES throw out mad stuff from what i hear.

urbanflow

Reaction score
Once again THERE IS NO REI OR MES HERE! The only REI is in Atlanta.

Yes there are a lot of trains here but I don't do train hopping. Too many things can go wrong as I know nothing about it.

read my post more closely, its fairly clear it was referring to other towns in your area. there's no need for angrycaps, especially when you didnt quite read what someone typed.

maybe you should do some research? a short ride to atlanta and you can find just about anything you need.

either way, you sound like you're already set. there are people out there who dont carry a damn thing and make it just fine. a smaller school type back pack might help you out anyway, its nice to not stick out like a sore thumb. its easier to hide a sleeping bag than a big old hiking pack.

urchin

Reaction score
Fair enough.

However this area has just stuff like Academy and Dick's as specialty stores.

I could but I'm pretty apprehensive about it. I'm also not in Macon anymore. I'm in Warner Robins. The only line is near the base and jumping it there seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Nomadfrom82

Reaction score
I was in the same position, nova sux balls no a/n anywhete close, I had to settle for.a 0° coleman slaaping bag, im short 5'9 so I got a big n tall bag flip it over and the headpiece covers my head n I syill have my head resting on my bag, plus I put my one hiking jacket and a pair of pants in the sleeping bag bag for a pillow, I salvaged a nice camo tarp from a abondoned camp I found, and luckly someone I knew had a old but nice pack I bought for 40 bux an bowl trade cause he wanted a new piece. Life is all about manifistation man, keep your karma clear and its a lot easier to do. I needed some gear, I thought about it pictured it in my head and within a week I had what I needed. Good luck man, it sucks travling out of a school bag been there done thaT, now I carry one in my bigger pack so when I go somewhere I can stash my pack andstill carry my essentials and not advertize im a squatter, I also stay clean shave every chancei get and shower regurally, idont like dealing with pigs and there intrusive questions. Gl man, oh and.i used tolivein valdosta, gtf out of georgia unless your squatting savannah, run runrun for your life! Lol

dprogram

Reaction score
Life is all about manifistation man, keep your karma clear and its a lot easier to do. I needed some gear, I thought about it pictured it in my head and within a week I had what I needed.

I like that. You can get whatever you need in life with the right outlook. Things present themselves somehow...

urchin

Reaction score
Thanks you guys. As I said I'm looking to get out of here once the wedding (and maybe pay the fine) is done. I have no money (hence part of the reason I'm getting out) and hate most things here. The abandoned strip mall though is quite the find. May have to get some friends to set up something.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
most big chain stores have "no chase" policies......... if you can make it off their property your good........but yeah if nothin else just scrounge up a high school bookbag......sew some grocery store straps to it for a tarp/sleeping bag whatever and then just wait till you end up in a better place to panhandle/work up the money for somethin good.........i've always dreamt of turning a 5 gallon bucket with a lid into a pack....some basic tools and some creativity i think it'd be awesome would double as a seat too

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads