Back to adventuring w/the New Orleanian gypsy

Grey

Reaction score
I'd hate to assume race or anything but I'm just informing ppl that gypsy is a slur towards the Romani people and they've asked ppl to use nomad instead when talking about traveling and stuff

Reaction score
I'd hate to assume race or anything but I'm just informing ppl that gypsy is a slur towards the Romani people and they've asked ppl to use nomad instead when talking about traveling and stuff
I'm an ethnic rom and I'm pretty sure MY people haven't talked to you before. We (Roma) use gypsy as a starting point in terms of education. We don't prefer "nomad" We truly prefer rom, roma or romani which means the people. Thank you for the concern, but let the Rom speak for themselves.

Attachments

• 20200715_211018.jpg
    20200715_211018.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 170

Grey

Reaction score
I apologise, I've just been told by many that gypsy is a slur and to use nomad instead when talking about travelers and stuff.

Reaction score
Certain persons think they know what's best for groups assuming without investigating, calling themselves experts without ever asking or talking to actual sources. Yer all good when ya seek knowledge properly from where things originate. One of the greatest experiences of my travels has been seeking, discovering, and assimilating knowledge into wisdom and understanding different cultures and people's.

Reaction score
Certain persons think they know what's best for groups assuming without investigating, calling themselves experts without ever asking or talking to actual sources. Yer all good when ya seek knowledge properly from where things originate. One of the greatest experiences of my travels has been seeking, discovering, and assimilating knowledge into wisdom and understanding different cultures and people's.
Travel to the sources.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Not to derail this thread more than it has already, but it's always bugged me that every time someone tells me gypsy is a slur it's a white kid from the usa. my retort isn't that this is incorrect, just that the meanings of words can and do change, and that it seems like no one ever asks someone from the romani culture what their opinion is. so thank you for clarifying on this, it's enlightening :)

Reactions: Patrizio giovanni

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Not to derail this thread more than it has already, but it's always bugged me that every time someone tells me gypsy is a slur it's a white kid from the usa. my retort isn't that this is incorrect, just that the meanings of words can and do change, and that it seems like no one ever asks someone from the romani culture what their opinion is. so thank you for clarifying on this, it's enlightening :)
It is a slur. In Europe. Not in the United States though, we romanticized the word.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
It is a slur. In Europe. Not in the United States though, we romanticized the word.

Ironically, you illustrated my point perfectly. Words (sometimes) change meaning.

• Haha
Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix
Reaction score
Ok so let me say this: I'm part of the European romani union and the romani action network (roma humanitarian watchdog groups),and our stance on the use of the word you've already read. Please stop telling me what my people think. You do yourself a disservice by assuming what a whole ethnic community's view is.

Reaction score
Thanks for listening and actually understanding where I'm coming from.

D

Deleted member 23824

Patrizio, you know, you can educate otherwise well-meaning people, without hammering them. I know I’m never going to meet all the Romani, may never have met any, as far as,I know. But I had read twenty or more years ago that Romani, or Roma, was preferred.
But not everyone knows that, and it can be an unintentional faux pax. We know we don’t speak for an entire group.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i personally don't think you were being a curmudgeon or hammering anyone about it, just stating fact, but that's just one person's opinion.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads