Back in Canada, hoping to ramble | Squat the Planet

Back in Canada, hoping to ramble

ali

Reaction score
Hey, i guess i should write an official intro since i've poked my head in the Discord and a few threads.

I'm Ali, or Al, whatever. Came up as a raver, mostly underground acid/techno and outdoor parties. I've spent much of my adult life doing regular work and only traveling for shorter periods in between. I've lived in a bunch of places round the world, so more of a third culture kid than a dirty kid. I found StP years ago when i was looking for tips on traveling light, i pared my whole life down to a pack and haven't looked back since.

I've had two longish journeys while between jobs, one from Detroit to San Antonio with Greyhound and Amtrak, then over to Holland and Germany to bum round by train. When i left Europe i bused, trained and ferried my way to Greece then took a berth on a cargo ship to Taiwan. I like traveling slow. I walk a lot.

I'm back in Canada now and really want to explore North America a bit more. A few years back i took a trip from Detroit to San Fran, mostly Greyhound plus a ferry across Lake Michigan and Amtrak over the Rockies. It can be hard to figure out how to get places here without a car. Love to freight hop one day, though perhaps i'm getting too old. I never really slept rough, not for more than the length of a party or layover anyway. The punx camped out near where i used to live, they always had to get out before the joggers showed up. I hate packing up in the mornings, i want to stretch out and drink coffee and read till noon.

Anyway, hope i can contribute here with more conventional travel tips and thoughts on living the normie 9-5. I would like to learn more about traveling North America on the cheap, and maybe get some ideas of interesting places to see along the way.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
awesome intro, thanks for joining and thanks for your help so far with website stuff :)

hoping you find what you're looking for and if you need any help just let me know.

Reactions: ali

ali

Reaction score
Right now I'm renting month-to-month in BC Interior to make it through the winter. With corona having shut down traditional travel like Via Rail and cut the schedules of intercity buses i think it will be easier to wait it out. I got some friends in Northern and Southwestern Ontario i want to try catch up with next year. Still trying to figure out the best way to make it across the country without having to spend a fortune on motels.

AG Golda

Reaction score
Right now I'm renting month-to-month in BC Interior to make it through the winter. With corona having shut down traditional travel like Via Rail and cut the schedules of intercity buses i think it will be easier to wait it out. I got some friends in Northern and Southwestern Ontario i want to try catch up with next year. Still trying to figure out the best way to make it across the country without having to spend a fortune on motels.
Hi ! Nice intro :) you still in BC ? I'm in NB but it's too cold here :p. It's definitely doable without spending on hotels, especially if you're not in a rush! Good luck and keep us posted on your travels, I'm gonna get moving west soon, we might end up crossing paths!

Reactions: Matt Derrick

ali

Reaction score
The weather here in BC has been pretty sweet the past couple weeks, but sadly i haven't been able to enjoy it, since i started some work in February to help cover rent.

My current plan is to continue working until a) i get the vaccine, and b) the government approves travel again. Unfortunately it looks like interprovince travel is going to be blocked pretty soon thanks to this third wave. I'll post an update over on the Interprovincial Travel thread when i know more.

I'm definitely itching to get out and about. Earning money is fine, but i miss seeing something new every day. I hope we can get the pandemic under control soon :(

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads