Average daily distance with loaded touring bike | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Average daily distance with loaded touring bike

MFB

Reaction score
No worries, thanks for being so polite!

I spose it's perspective. And willingness to suffer. I run 50 miles in the mountains in under ten hours, so biking 100 on road seems like cake. But I still reckon its easily achievable for any semi healthy person that wants to.

I did 3 months in cental america on a wal mart bike in 2018. On riding days I'd average 80-100 miles. 8-10 hrs a day w stops. I'd stop at the beach or the cities for a few days, but generally road 4 days a week. Exhausting, but good.
I also met a lot of other cyclists that easily kept up w me along some stretches.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
No worries, thanks for being so polite!

I spose it's perspective. And willingness to suffer. I run 50 miles in the mountains in under ten hours, so biking 100 on road seems like cake. But I still reckon its easily achievable for any semi healthy person that wants to.

I did 3 months in cental america on a wal mart bike in 2018. On riding days I'd average 80-100 miles. 8-10 hrs a day w stops. I'd stop at the beach or the cities for a few days, but generally road 4 days a week. Exhausting, but good.
I also met a lot of other cyclists that easily kept up w me along some stretches.

haha fuckin a man, you're hercules compared to myself then :)

D

Deleted member 11392

I run 50 miles in the mountains in under ten hours, so biking 100 on road seems like cake.

Fuck yeah! Didn't know there was another ultra runner on here. I'm running a 35 miler in a few weeks.

Its what you want in it. Do you want to chill, move slow, hang out a lot? You can do that. Or do you want to push yourself physically and mentally? Bike touring is an interesting mode of travel because it allows for a wide spectrum of people, since it's a physical activity.

90 a day is reasonable. Challenging, yes, for sure. But if you're pushing yourself this isn't even that high of a number. (Relatively speaking) People have logged 200 plus miles a day for weeks straight.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
im definitely not trying to piss on ya'lls parade or anything, 90 might seem reasonable to you, but i think the average person is not going to come anywhere near to half of that in a day. especially just starting out. i won't keep bugging folks about it here, but i just want people reading this to have realistic expectations so they don't set themselves up for failure.

i've said my opinion tho, i won't beat a dead horse anymore :p

Reactions: MFB

vajrabond

Reaction score
The guy who set the record for the TransPanAmerican route recently did 120 mile days with 4 hours of sleep each night (for over a month straight), with occasional micro-naps throughout the day. He also used a lighter top-end carbon bike and frame bags. So I'd say people that have been cycling for a long time can do a great deal more than we'd think. I'd say for the average person (with no experience) they are going to do 30-50 miles a day.

My recent coastal tour was my very first bike tour and before that I'd never ridden more than maybe 15 miles on a bike. At first 30 miles was the extent I did. But even that got harder and harder as it becomes an endurance game over multiple days. After a week I was up to 40-50. Not long after that my range was 50-60. I did have major pushes once my legs were stronger though. After I learned the sweet sweet magic of the WarmShowers app, it became easier for me to push. Like, do I want to stealth camp on the side of the road tonight or go somewhere with a hot bath, free food, and a cozy bed? Such a dream can push a person to pedal 80, 90, and even 110 miles. For me, at least. I had some experience long distance hiking prior though, so I knew how to count my calories. Stretch while I eat. Have accessible snacks while riding. Stay perfectly hydrated with electrolyte powder in all water. Etc.

It's definitely tough, but I can see how after several more tours that might be a reality for me.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

MFB

Reaction score
Heck yea, Dumbass! I dont talk about running bc its boring to everyone else!
Which 35? Ive got the Behind the rocks 50k lined up in Moab in 2 weeks. Such a amazing course! If youre ever in CO or UT Mad Moose has the best races.

MFB

Reaction score
IMG_20171228_140610.jpg

This was my rig in CA for 3 months. 50 dollar bike, my pack literally bungeed to the rack. Other cyclists were apalled.

D

Deleted member 11392

@MFB I seriously almost signed up for that!! I'm doing Nine Trails in Santa Barbara. Same day, that's rad. We'll both be running at the same time.

MFB

Reaction score
@MFB I seriously almost signed up for that!! I'm doing Nine Trails in Santa Barbara. Same day, that's rad. We'll both be running at the same time.

Just googled, looks dope, man!
You'll have a blast. Check out the Superior trail race in MN. That's most desired on my list. Looks amazing!

Sorry to fuck this biking thread into running!

Gabriel Pullman

Reaction score
It's more like ten hrs days but I don't count off for breaks . Sometimes I smoke more hash than others. Lunch may be longer. But you start rolling and stop ten hours apart.
And yeah 96 in one days on a 3 day trip but you figure I went like 36 the first day, 96 the next and like 82 the last to get to Shasta.
Right now I'm doing 34 average a day. MckinleyVille to the bay...but with a lil more stuff. Mainly just fighting winds and hills to the coast and beer breaks do slow me down. Starting around noon. Vice versa tho biking up hwy 97 I have never done a 96 mile day. Most times are windy in central Oregon and that's a gradual uphill. Really shitty to be fighting head winds the whole way up a gradual incline . There is no escape. But may this time north for me there will be .Oh there will be.
Again tho averages can throw you off. If I did a good route and did couple days over 100 .that would help the average more to the point of 90. Right now if I do 80 miles 2 days in a row. It will throw my average off so far.

Last edited:

BardoBard

Reaction score
@BikePunky EXACTLY! It wears the soul down.

@george990 I section hiked and worked at a lodge along the trail.
By the end I was really starting to dislike hikers. Like Bikepunky stated- you'll tire of the gear talk and miles, what you're eating, etc. Etc. It's becomes a psychosis.

I think a lot of weekenders just get caught up in the details, like a kid who just started college talking like a pretentious 19th century academic, fast forward a year or two and they typically level out.

Except weekenders stay weekenders for the most part

• Agree
Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

tchavers

Reaction score
Like a few others mentioned, I wouldn't worry about how many miles you're clocking if you are having a good time. Comparison is the thief of joy, right? That being said, I used to do 40 - 50 miles a day when I'd load up my bike and take it out for a couple weeks. Just enjoy your time and call it good.

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
I used to average 60 to 80miles a day, depending on the weather. I’ve done multiple triple digit days in a row, but they were after I’ve already clocked 2k.
I would wake up around 4:30 in the am and get moving around 5 or so. I did this in the hottest day’s of summer so I could try and push out 60mi before noon, then rest till maybe about 4, then clock another 20. Most I ever did in one day was 125 from between dc and bmore to philly. (That beat me worse than Ike beat Tina)

I was fully loaded and was in relatively good shape when I started, by the end though, I looked on drugs skinny, but could finish in the triple digits three days in a row.

So it’s definitely possible

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
So I just had to check and I could hardly believe it myself, but my bike tour was 2,500miles (not the part I couldn’t believe) and I did it in roughly 74 days (<— totally didn’t expect that) I didn’t set a time limit so I didn’t even count the days. I just figured it took me three months

I only count moving miles (what my odometer read) and not miles traveled by any other means. Raleigh-rocky mont nc, Elizabeth city nc-Virginia beach, and Zanesville oh-Athens oh. All which I used other than bike powered travel.

I stayed in places for a long time and I though I rode very slowly and took my time in places.

Y’all can check out the travel blog @ highonwheels.tumblr.com

Also check out the documentary ‘Inspired to Ride.’ Mike hall makes it across the US from Oregon to Virginia in 17 days. No, I’m not fucking kidding, the man was literally, a pedaling machine

Last edited:

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
Anyway, sorry I keep replying, but it’s all totally doable. obviously, I’ve done it. And if I can do it with my old busted body, they y’all got a shot at it.
Now I have person records to break

Pedal to the Metal

Pedal To The Metal
Reaction score
I guess it's all what you want to do and maybe using the word 'bike touring' has different meanings for some, but I have many many days well into 100 miles /day. Gear weight, bike, conditioning and endurance all account for how far you can go. I ride fully self support, carrying the least amount of gear and food/water, minimal stopped time. I camp, squat, dumpster dive when I can as well. Fall 2017 I pedaled 213 miles in 20 hours. It all depends on you. Summer 2017 Denver to Raleigh NC, I did over 1000 in 8 days. That's approx 125 miles per day and the overall trip avg was 103 miles per day with close to 80% gravel. Anyone familiar with the road between Joshua Tree and Parker? 110 miles of absolutely nothing. I have ridden it all the way, multiple times, in one day. It can be done, and is often done. Look at the Tour Divide. Self supported race from Banff to Antelope Wells NM. 2800 miles and entrants are carrying everything on bike and doing it under 3 weeks. The Trans Am bike race. 4200 miles, 10 states, coast to coast, all weather conditions. Less than 20 days, self supported. I pedaled from Orlando to San Diego, same bike, almost 3200 miles, 31 days, 1 rest day. Do the math. As I said, depends on gear, will power, endurance. Most of them have huge budgets, ultra light bikes and gear too, but me, on my old Ritchey 26" bike can out camp those with big budgets, live on minimal sleep and scrounge calories from virtually anywhere. On another note, 60 miles per day is great because it does leave alot more time for sight seeing and chillin out. Both are fun.
20180905_183947~2.jpg

scutellaria

Reaction score
i was thinking of this thread today and just wanted to post about the ride i did because i feel pretty fuckin good about it.

i rode 50+ today from clifton forge, va to roanoke, va in about 6 hours with breaks. plus some more riding when i got to roanoke (and still have to ride to the store and back to the yard). this ride was through the blue ridge mountains & shenandoah valley (i think)? i think about 1600 ft gained and 1600ft descended. anyways very hilly and through a mountain pass. i did it on a track bike with my back pack (i travel by train with a bike, not primarily by bike), not a shred of lycra unless you count the spandex in my skinny jeans, knock off combat boots and no cycling gear. i also have basically been off my bike completely since christmas until a few weeks ago.

and for the record i was having a blast. fucking beautiful ride.

ive definitely ridden 60-70 miles in a work day and maybe close to 100 including riding around after work, all on a track bike. and rode from kingston, ny to selkirk, ny (about 70 miles through the catskill foothills down to the hudson river bed) in a day on a track bike. id love to ride distance on a road bike...but i think im too stubborn

Django

Reaction score
even in the most ideal conditions (wind at your back, no hills, light load), that's crazy. try it sometime and tell me it seems reasonable. not trying to attack you, just saying, i've almost never heard of anyone doing 90 mile days when bike touring. not saying it can't be done, just saying most people probably shouldn't expect more than 50/day.
I second that (does that mean I agree? Cuz I agree).

I update my last message from earlier, I had a few 100 miles days but it is not very fun, and typically only happens because there's so much sunlight (wake up in your tent at 5:30, by 6:15 you're out, sunsets at 9pm) and I can't find a place to camp.
Planning 100 miles is a mistake in my opinion, and definitely not as a straight ride with no zeros.

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
How do you guys pack your bike up? Tent/tarp and sleeping bag in front or back? clothes in panniers, etc.? Just curious.

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
My longest day ever with a full load was 186 miles, but I have averaged 100 miles a day on tour before. I typically ride 70 miles a day. if you are in shape or used to moving around or being physically active all day riding 70ish miles a day plus taking detours to do other shit is pretty easy (in the summer) in the winter it is a bit more difficult as there is a lot less daylight

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads