attaching a knife to backpack questions | Squat the Planet

attaching a knife to backpack questions

The Hiker

Reaction score
After my 1st run in with a set of shady guys looking to fuck someone up at any provocation, I want to attach a flatblade to my pack in a way so that it's between my back and my pack. This way it's hidden so I don't scare people or cops, but I can quickly access it whenever my pack is in reach. The problem though is when I sewed it on, I pulled the knife out, put it back in, and it cut the threads holding the sheath on! Anyone with ideas for a stronger connection system?

Dorkimus Prime

Reaction score
You'll be probably need to get something like a leather holster then sew on the holster. I keep a weapon in a leather case that hooks to my belt and slides inside my pants. It's practically invisible and cops wouldn't find it unless they gave me the TSA treatment. The whole apparatus is homemade. It was an old tool holder I conveted with some wire and industrial staples.

I've never had to use any weapons. I found the best safety precaution you can take is simply just to avoid shady neighborhoods, if possible.

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
A hardy walking stick is a good option too. Normally it's very non threatening but if you change your body language people tend to pick up on it. Such as slamming it into the ground as you walk or moving it in between the you and the person you're talking to.

Reactions: PaytRacc oon

The Hiker

Reaction score
You'll be probably need to get something like a leather holster then sew on the holster. I keep a weapon in a leather case that hooks to my belt and slides inside my pants. It's practically invisible and cops wouldn't find it unless they gave me the TSA treatment. The whole apparatus is homemade. It was an old tool holder I conveted with some wire and industrial staples.

I've never had to use any weapons. I found the best safety precaution you can take is simply just to avoid shady neighborhoods, if possible.
Thanks for the advice

Reactions: Juan Derlust

The Hiker

Reaction score
A hardy walking stick is a good option too. Normally it's very non threatening but if you change your body language people tend to pick up on it. Such as slamming it into the ground as you walk or moving it in between the you and the person you're talking to.
I agree, but I can't take a big staff with me when I'm hitchhiking

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
#1, hidden but accessible - is the definition of concealed carry... Just saying, careful. Some cops, some states, EXTRA dick about such things. & Yes, I've had friends get charged with concealed weapon (reads like gun in the penalties) for things like a leather-sap... Or the walking stick... Because cops wanted to be dicks.... So, just be aware.

#2 - reinforcing the sheath AND the pack will help it stay on better. Putting a heavy thing attached to the pack in a spot most aren't designed for carrying weight - it'll cause the pack to tare well before it's time.... So, reinforce the back of the pack too... It'll add stability for your blade and keep the pack in top shape.

#3 - thread options.... There is ofcourse the old standby, Dental Floss. :) Just remember, lots and lots of layers. OR, another option - they make fishing line, still thin like thread, but ridiculously tough, for some of the bigger ocean game fish. Sometimes, a good tool, is worth the investment. AND the third option.... They make very thin, yet still strong WIRE. :) Sometimes you can get it as picture hanging wire at the hardware stores, other times, you have to go to the craft-your-own jewelry store and get jewelry wire. But either of them should totally have a wire thin enough to double as thread. So that's an option too.

Reactions: Golcems

The Hiker

Reaction score
#1, hidden but accessible - is the definition of concealed carry... Just saying, careful. Some cops, some states, EXTRA dick about such things. & Yes, I've had friends get charged with concealed weapon (reads like gun in the penalties) for things like a leather-sap... Or the walking stick... Because cops wanted to be dicks.... So, just be aware.

#2 - reinforcing the sheath AND the pack will help it stay on better. Putting a heavy thing attached to the pack in a spot most aren't designed for carrying weight - it'll cause the pack to tare well before it's time.... So, reinforce the back of the pack too... It'll add stability for your blade and keep the pack in top shape.

#3 - thread options.... There is ofcourse the old standby, Dental Floss. :) Just remember, lots and lots of layers. OR, another option - they make fishing line, still thin like thread, but ridiculously tough, for some of the bigger ocean game fish. Sometimes, a good tool, is worth the investment. AND the third option.... They make very thin, yet still strong WIRE. :) Sometimes you can get it as picture hanging wire at the hardware stores, other times, you have to go to the craft-your-own jewelry store and get jewelry wire. But either of them should totally have a wire thin enough to double as thread. So that's an option too.
Thanks for the advice, I will try again with just some stronger thread, maybe that was the problem and not the knife cutting it

Cussock

Reaction score
Clearly the best option here is to just stick the knife into your own stomach for safekeeping. You'll probably be fine, promise.

Ozzi

Reaction score
I use to carry my longboard and can start swinging that around cracking skulls. Thus a shady character whose name i forgot but he said he sells carpet cleaner or some bullshit he stole me board

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads