Area in America to rough it

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
Would suggest that you pack a small single shot shotgun(20 ga. would do nicely),as you will probably get more shots at small game than large.Also,its a bit wasteful to shoot big game when you lack the means or time to process out the total carcass.As to the rifle,just remember Capstick,and would also look at Col. Wheland's writings on the subject.

Very good advice ^^^.

I'm a fan of lever action rifles myself. For anywhere east of the Missisippi, except maybe in moose country, a lever action .30-30, .45LC or .44 mag is plenty *IF* you know how to handle it.

Out west on the other hand, even if you're a crack shot, I'd still suggest going for something bigger. If you're recoil sensitive, the .45-70 is adequate. If you can handle it, go for something like a .444 or .450 Marlin.

If you're going to carry a shotgun, the 20 Ga is good as an all around, but even though it gets a bit of a bad rep, I'm a champion of the .410. For small game, if you're a good shot, it's plenty, and ammo is cheaper, not to mention the whole kit (gun and ammo) will be lighter to carry.

If you really want to rough it, learn how to make blackpowder and go with a muzzle loader. Get the molds to cast your own bullets and collect wheel weights. True, wheel weights are a harder alloy, but they'll work in a pinch.

tallhorseman

Reaction score
Wondering if any of yall know of a good place to get out of the city for awhile. Away from trails and such.

The Mississippi River has a flood plain that is pretty good hiking when the river is low. I'm pretty sure the Arkansas, Missouri, Ohio are the same, but I've never traveled them. When the river is low I'm usually somewhere between Vicksburg, MS and Vidalia, LA. When hiking the floodplain, you're never more than five or ten miles from civilization, but It seems really remote.

Gun talk: Most survivalists own at least one .22. They are relatively quiet(You can even buy short and/or sub-sonic rounds). The bullets are really small (5 X 12-25 mm, depending on the round) so you can carry lots of them in a pocket. The last deer I killed, back before I turned all Hippy n shit, I killed with a .22, 100 yards from my dads home, and he was at home but didn't even hear the shot.

Survivalist mentality is that with a .22 You could stuff five hundred rounds in your jean pockets, successfully hunt small game with it, and use it to quietly bushwhack a commie intruder to acquire a more powerful rifle later.

They also have practically no recoil and you can find them in a really compact size. Look up the .22 caliber "cricket".

Tao_of_Pi

Reaction score
To anyone that's interested, I know of a piece of rarely used private land that's located up in the Black Hills (South Dakota).

It's of good size, and located just outside a small town called Custer. Once you get to Custer, there's a highway heading south out of town, if you take it for a few miles you'll eventually see a row of trailers on the east side of the road. The land is the wooded area directly east of these trailers. If you pass an industrial looking complex with fences, you've gone too far (it's a juvenile boot camp, a place my family knows FAR too well). From what I understand it's owned by some rich family out of Minneapolis, they only camp there for about a week during the 4th of July. Other than that it's completely left alone.

Anywhere in the Black Hills National forest is a great place to camp. Beautiful, very rugged, and thickly wooded, so it's fairly easy to hide out there and not be seen.

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
my back yard is the foot of the ozarks. great views. just gotta watch the 'the good ol' boy "farmers". survival rifles-410 n 22 combo.i also have an 2 action 22 that brakes down and all componants fit into the stock, the combo brakes in half. cheap ? 410 granny gun. you can use different ammo instead of different cal. used to be under $100 new. now? but its good for birds to deer,and simpler is better.

scamp

Reaction score
My favorite place to camp out in the woods and eat fish is arkansas near the oklahoma border
Its beautiful big waterfalls tons of bright blue springs and nobody fucks with you the cops acctually came and check on us once
I would fish with a stick, string, hook and bugs and still catch fish
plus theres great moonshine out there
ps. stay away from the hills (really)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads