Ara Jo, Oakland Warehouse Fire Victim, Rest in Power! | Squat the Planet

Ara Jo, Oakland Warehouse Fire Victim, Rest in Power!

Slingshot Collective

Reaction score
Website
slingshot.tao.ca
arajo.jpg

Picture from: http://cargocollective.com/gretaaalborg/BAD-WOMAN-PROJECT

It is with a heavy heart that we share that Ara Jo, who drew some of the pages for the 2013 Organizer perished in the art collective fire at the Ghost Ship on Friday.

I met Ara at the Paco Dog Collar shop in 2012. I was handing out Slingshots. I had no idea if she worked there or was just hanging out or what. When she saw the Slingshot, she got super excited and mentioned she'd
always wanted to draw pages for the Organizer, and it so happened there were some pages left, so she was able to join in. She was so flattered and tickled to have her work in Slingshot, it helped me feel excited about the project.

Ara was a key figure at The Rock, Paper, Scissors Collective and a prolific a zinster. Her bubbly enthusiasm about all things creative was contagious. It was great to have her at creative jam sessions. Her well-wrought
line-art defiantly challenged social norms.

Please hold space for Ara's memory right now.

Now is the time to make art like our lives depend on it. For Ara's memory, and for all the great artists we've just lost.

O

outlawloose

Sorry for your loss and all our losses. Ara was a friend of a friend and its amazing to see all the tributes. Thanks for sharing <3

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Fuck. I was hoping not to see an obit from that Oakland warehouse fire. Sorry for your loss. ='(

Slingshot Collective

Reaction score
Website
slingshot.tao.ca
Sorry for your loss and all our losses. Ara was a friend of a friend and its amazing to see all the tributes. Thanks for sharing <3
Thanks, it's been pretty tough, but all the support has been amazing. A musician and ex-squatter a bunch of us also know who went by Donalda also died, but we don't have an obit for her yet...

Slingshot Collective

Reaction score
Website
slingshot.tao.ca
Fuck. I was hoping not to see an obit from that Oakland warehouse fire. Sorry for your loss. ='(
Thanks, I was actually shocked we were the first to post one. An ex-squatter who lived at the Stay Away, Fern and Hydra House (AKA The Church of Carl Sagan) who went by Donalda also died in the fire. It's been a bad week here... thanks again though. The out pouring of support has been awe inspiring.

Reactions: Coywolf

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads