Anyone still Read Books?

Danny Dissent

Reaction score
i read 'slaughter house five,' that was good. i'm actually reading 'huckleberry finn' right now. i found an awesome edition of it that's pretty close to the first edition.

Reactions: Nemo
R

river dog

Be Here Now by Baba Ram Dass
Any Kerouac especially the Dharma Bums
Wild: An elemental journey by Jay Griffiths
House of Leaves Mark Z. Danielewski
Only Revolutions ^
Vedic Literature
i used to always have be here now wiff me, i gave it away to a stranger, i didnt need it anymore or somethin

Nemo

Reaction score
i used to always have be here now wiff me, i gave it away to a stranger, i didnt need it anymore or somethin
That's rad.. whenever I finish a book I generally pass it on.
I've always thought about that.. who would I give my book to? and when would I not need to cling to it as I do.
Think I'll just buy them a copy & spread the word (;
I love this book way too much, staying in the pack!

378599_10150515473227110_633277109_11201029_457862959_n.jpg

Reactions: BobbinGoblin

Nelco

Reaction score
-einseitns dreams by alan lightman, best book ever...book on mental travel

Nelco

Reaction score
-The Art of War (History and Warfare)
-he Essential Kabbalah: The Heart of Jewish Mysticism
-Otherwhere: A Field Guide to Nonphysical Reality for the Out-of-Body Traveler
-Wallace Black Elk Sacred Ways of the Lakota
-he Egyptian Book of Life: A True Translation of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Featuring Original Texts and Hieroglyphs

druid

Reaction score
Finally got one of those new cheap kindle's and lovin' it. Man the amount of free books on the web is downright unreal.

Some pre-kindle faves:

The Sex Lives Of Cannibals by J. Marteen Troost
Ascent Of Humanity (can be got for free online) by Charles Eisenstein
The Road by Jack London (free too)
Desert Solitaire by Cactus Ed Abbey
Vagabonding by Rolf Potts

And too many more. Man get a kindle. Light weight, takes up no space, holds a charge for a month. It is the shit.

baconrind

Reaction score
My friend tried getting me to take one of his crimethinc books to read on the road. I settled for Tales from Mos Eisley's Cantina. Fuck yea Star Wars!

BobbinGoblin

Reaction score
Website
www.howlattheloom.com
Great books ya'll!

I'm almost finished with my first Huxley book: Island. It was the last one he wrote, I believe... I don't want the end to come.

My long-time favourite authors are Vonnegut, Salinger, Faulkner, Orwell, etc.
Also, kids books like The Neverending Story, Peter Pan, stories by Hans Christian Anderson...
I recently finished To School through the Fields: an Irish Country Childhood by Alice Taylor and Expect Resistance from CrimethInc.
Evasion is another great one from CrimethInc.
The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet... and other eastern philosophy.
Be Here Now is amazing.
And GRAPHIC NOVELS! Such as: Fables, Sweet Tooth, Transmetropolitan, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Lost Girls (pretty much any Alan Moore), Goodbye Chunky Rice, Salem Brownstone: All Along the Watchtower... Elfquest...
The Toolbox for Sustainable City Living is a good DIY book, you can get it from Microcosm.
I also read books about weaving, natural dyes, and other crafts....

Reactions: Nemo

Nelco

Reaction score

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
I can't believe that I forgot to include 'Lanark' by Alasdair Gray, it's the great masterpiece of modern Scottish literature and part of the reason I came to Scotland.

"Who did the council fight?"
"It split in two and fought itself."
"That's suicide!"
"No, ordinary behaviour. The efficient half eats the less efficient half and grows stronger. War is just a violent way of doing what half the people do calmly in peacetime: using the other half for food, heat, machinery and sexual pleasure. Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation."
"I refuse to believe men kill each other just to make their enemies rich."
"How can men recognize their real enemies when their family, schools and work teach them to struggle with each other and to believe law and decency come from the teachers?"
"My son won't be taught that," said Lanark firmly.
"You have a son?"
"Not yet."
-Alasdair Gray, Lanark, p.411

Reactions: BobbinGoblin

wrkrsunite

Reaction score
Post Office by Bukowski one of the greatest books i ever drunkenly stumbled into.
Can't go wrong with Bukowski, Ham on Rye, Post Office, Women, Or Hot water Music. Kerouac is great, On the Road and Dharma Bums influenced me to travel. I keep a copy of On the Road in my pack. Also William S. Burruoghs, Ken Kessey ,John Fante.

Reactions: foxx

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads