Anyone have issues with 88 dodge ram fuel pump | Squat the Planet

Anyone have issues with 88 dodge ram fuel pump

Lee Larson

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with the older model vans and finding parts? I habe an 1988 dodge ram b250 conversion van with 5.2l engine, while taking off the fuel pump a part broke from dry rot on the too of the assembly,upull it is stripped of the assemblys, oreillys computers say see dealership, the dealership says chrysler dont supply them those parts anymore. . . Is there anyway to make a newer or different model or vehicles pump work instead?

I just bought this vehicle a few months ago and had to spend a few hundred getting it legal due to title issues, completely legal and insured and i cant drive it because the pump just died. . . The stress sets in...

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 24782

Has anyone had any issues with the older model vans and finding parts? I habe an 1988 dodge ram b250 conversion van with 5.2l engine, while taking off the fuel pump a part broke from dry rot on the too of the assembly,upull it is stripped of the assemblys, oreillys computers say see dealership, the dealership says chrysler dont supply them those parts anymore. . . Is there anyway to make a newer or different model or vehicles pump work instead?

I just bought this vehicle a few months ago and had to spend a few hundred getting it legal due to title issues, completely legal and insured and i cant drive it because the pump just died. . . The stress sets in...

Ask @SaltyCrew. I'm sure the parts are available, the van isn't that old, are we talking the in-tank electric fuel pump or an engine mounted lift pump?

D

Deleted member 13433

Lee, Juan might be your best shot.... as a quick Google search on 88 dodge ram 5.2 ltr fuel pump shows some electric pumps being listed BUT finding one in stock is a whole 'nother deal......

I feel for ya.

I got an 86 Ford Country Squire Wagon, same deal.... getting super hard to find parts for.

Unfortunately, your van is 32 years old, which is ancient by today's standards.

Good luck, if I can figure anything out I'll let you know - but my guess is you'll have to go aftermarket, unless you can hook up with Juan and figure something out.

Lee Larson

Reaction score
Fuck yeah thanks guys, my camera cracked on my phonr then my phone stopped working so i couldnt take any pics.it looka like the part that broke is just to the vent hose, so we super glued and jb welded it back, gonna reattach today when i get off work to see if it works

• Best of Luck!
D

Deleted member 13433

Lee, I'd be very curious as to how that works out - I know the electric fuel pump pressures - is your truck fuel injected ?? - run way higher than the old mechanical fuel pumps on the engines with carburators on them.
Blew a line coming out of my tank on my 93 Jeep almost a decade ago, dumped about twelve gallons of fuel on the BQE in Brooklyn while coasting off the exit ramp... what a way to take a girl out to an Irish Pub in Bay Ridge !!
But yeah, no options because the fuel injection fuel pressures are so damn high, so we waited all night to get towed back to The Valley in CT..........
Yes - and if you can, well... you did mention your camera broke... I'd like to know as well how this works out for you, Good Luck !!!!

D

Deleted member 13433

Juan, Tevya would just push the van !!

That film had a real profound effect on me about a year ago......... changed my whole way of thinking.

Lee Larson

Reaction score
I beleive it is just the air vent hose, where no gas goes into the line. There is a hose that goes from the tank to near the fuel cap, like its an air/fume vent house, it could possibly be an over flow hose or something, i guess i should try to maybe look up a diagram

White Hawk

Reaction score
That last van pic.......My first rig suffered a similar fate
1146160_1405530566328067_1540107003_o_1405530566328067.jpg

Attachments

• 1146160_1405530566328067_1540107003_o_1405530566328067.jpg
    1146160_1405530566328067_1540107003_o_1405530566328067.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 246
  • Epic

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads