Anyone have issues with 88 dodge ram fuel pump (1 Viewer)

Lee Larson

Has anyone had any issues with the older model vans and finding parts? I habe an 1988 dodge ram b250 conversion van with 5.2l engine, while taking off the fuel pump a part broke from dry rot on the too of the assembly,upull it is stripped of the assemblys, oreillys computers say see dealership, the dealership says chrysler dont supply them those parts anymore. . . Is there anyway to make a newer or different model or vehicles pump work instead?

I just bought this vehicle a few months ago and had to spend a few hundred getting it legal due to title issues, completely legal and insured and i cant drive it because the pump just died. . . The stress sets in...

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Website
www.ebay.com
Has anyone had any issues with the older model vans and finding parts? I habe an 1988 dodge ram b250 conversion van with 5.2l engine, while taking off the fuel pump a part broke from dry rot on the too of the assembly,upull it is stripped of the assemblys, oreillys computers say see dealership, the dealership says chrysler dont supply them those parts anymore. . . Is there anyway to make a newer or different model or vehicles pump work instead?

I just bought this vehicle a few months ago and had to spend a few hundred getting it legal due to title issues, completely legal and insured and i cant drive it because the pump just died. . . The stress sets in...
Ask @SaltyCrew. I'm sure the parts are available, the van isn't that old, are we talking the in-tank electric fuel pump or an engine mounted lift pump?

OTTERWOLF

Adult Dyslexic
StP Supporter
Lee, Juan might be your best shot.... as a quick Google search on 88 dodge ram 5.2 ltr fuel pump shows some electric pumps being listed BUT finding one in stock is a whole 'nother deal......

I feel for ya.

I got an 86 Ford Country Squire Wagon, same deal.... getting super hard to find parts for.

Unfortunately, your van is 32 years old, which is ancient by today's standards.

Good luck, if I can figure anything out I'll let you know - but my guess is you'll have to go aftermarket, unless you can hook up with Juan and figure something out.

OP
L

Lee Larson

Fuck yeah thanks guys, my camera cracked on my phonr then my phone stopped working so i couldnt take any pics.it looka like the part that broke is just to the vent hose, so we super glued and jb welded it back, gonna reattach today when i get off work to see if it works

OTTERWOLF

Adult Dyslexic
StP Supporter
Lee, I'd be very curious as to how that works out - I know the electric fuel pump pressures - is your truck fuel injected ?? - run way higher than the old mechanical fuel pumps on the engines with carburators on them.
Blew a line coming out of my tank on my 93 Jeep almost a decade ago, dumped about twelve gallons of fuel on the BQE in Brooklyn while coasting off the exit ramp... what a way to take a girl out to an Irish Pub in Bay Ridge !!
But yeah, no options because the fuel injection fuel pressures are so damn high, so we waited all night to get towed back to The Valley in CT..........
Yes - and if you can, well... you did mention your camera broke... I'd like to know as well how this works out for you, Good Luck !!!!

OTTERWOLF

Adult Dyslexic
StP Supporter
Juan, Tevya would just push the van !!

That film had a real profound effect on me about a year ago......... changed my whole way of thinking.

OP
L

Lee Larson

I beleive it is just the air vent hose, where no gas goes into the line. There is a hose that goes from the tank to near the fuel cap, like its an air/fume vent house, it could possibly be an over flow hose or something, i guess i should try to maybe look up a diagram

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$70.75
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $70.75 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $70.75 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $70.75 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

These new rules for the train riding forum are ridiculous. I've been on here for 5 ish years.
MFB wrote on Older Than Dirt's profile.
Just wanted to say you look waaay better in your new avatar pic. ;) You clean up nice!
Bent123 wrote on iamwhatiam's profile.
I read your story last month about working in Alaska. I got a job in Naknek this summer. Definitely can get how it felt like jail. I fear it's really going to feel that way with this virus. We can't go into town. I'm not very happy about that since it will limit my exploring. Yet I really need the opportunity right now. Anymore advice is much appreciated.
Anyone been to Thailand or know anything about Thailand? Going in September and have absolutely no plans yet, open to suggestions!
Cincy, somehow is full of kids last year or so, like it.
Last week i took some trains i ain't rode in a while. Sparks->elko->green river->cheyenne->denver->amarillo->belen
I did some really important tweaking of the navigation menu on StP today. It should be significantly easier for mobile users to get around :)
Anyone in Chicago?!? Just rolled into town, next stop Minneapolis
Hey all, peace from a mostly retired road dog and now sober husband and father. Spent my youth hitching and tramping around the west primarily, Durango, mesa verde, Quartzsite, Laramie,Lander also Cincinnati, Philly, Detroit, Alabama, florida, Washington etc. Mostly lurking, keeping up on news and thinking about future destinations. Thanks for reading

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$70.75
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
ravzworld