And the rest of my life lies spread out before me; Greetings from Vermont!

Margarita

Sunset Follower
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a few days -- I found the forum when I was searching for tips on concealing long-term wilderness squats. Seems like there are some pretty chill people, no shortage of decent advice and beautiful or at least amusing stories on here.

I'm an only child from a single-dad, single-dog household. Moved more times than I can remember, living mostly in Upstate NY but finding my way to Panama, the USVI and Alaska for a few years.

I feel like this spring and summer is the beginning of my Life 2.0. Or maybe 3.0, or something, I don't know, I've changed a lot in the past few years, for the better. Over the course of the past few years, embracing anarchism as a way of relating to others and looking at life has led to an irrepressible desire to get rid of my belongings and hit the road. This conflicts with the fact that I am a full-time college student. So I did what I could, hustled like crazy, and these next few months will be my last here in the US (going to Moscow next year.)

From mid-May to mid-June I was supposed to get a pretty shitty job on campus, but I decided to sell my art to make money instead, and I'm gonna get out of this town and head south. Definitely looking out for a traveling type who wouldn't mind showing an open-minded newbie how to ride the rails. I have no experience but I pick things up quickly and I think I'm fairly good company. :) In any case, I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Margarita

Sunset Follower
Reaction score
Haha yes, don't worry, I always do my own research. I'm more interested in having someone for company and practical experience, not someone to explain every basic detail or piece of knowledge. There's only so much you can learn from books and the rest has to be personal experience.

SmilinSteph

Reaction score
Definitely looking out for a traveling type who wouldn't mind showing an open-minded newbie how to ride the rails. I have no experience but I pick things up quickly and I think I'm fairly good company. In any case, I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Hey I'm in the same boat. When are you looking to head out? I'm a newbie myself, and I'm looking for a travel buddy to learn the ways with me. I'm Steph, by the way. Coming from New York, looking to go South.

Reaction score
i can give you a few hints.... do what diagaro had said and be aware at all times of your surroundings and direction. you might not care at times where you go but still if you have a place in mind direction is good. sunset in the west is left sunrise in the east right.... same general idea.... make sure to not hop freight with her having slave units on her. you will not get very far... the yard hunny with very interestingly similar people to cops... bulls. its their territory. gondolas is one possible rideable... just make sure there is no shrapnel in there... it would be like ribbons with all the trimmings added.... except very ugly and horror movie type of shit.... next is OPEN boxcars... those are rideable... make sure you have something similar to a railspike on you when hopping into one... otherwise when the train humps bad enough and shuts the door on you... suffocation, starvation, dehydration, and so forth will kill you unless lady luck is smiling down on your life.... next is piggy backs... make sure your not drunk in any degree unless suicidal and asking for a death wish along with certificate (if you drink at all) when riding the spine of the rideable... the saying "bury me rollin'" will become reality and not just words coming out of anyones mouth. or put in print on a computer. then an american grainer... sometimes there is a hole on one side and fewer times both sides... make sure ur pack is big enough to sit on and that caffeine and whatever else you need (ciggarettes????) your best friend.... speaking of which if you are a smoker... make sure you have enough for the ride because it may not be a hotshot straight from your originality to your thought of or wishful destination. canadian grainers.... i have only seen a few and mostly are not known as i was reffering to before as suicide.... there are certain numbers at the bottom of a few of these boxes and whatnot (excuse me please a little bit tired and my mind is zigzagging a bit...) such as 48 or 52 somewhere along those lines a 52 is not rideable whatsoever and the rest of those numbers question diagaro about... he isnt really a scary guy... in fact more like a teddy bear with claws... blunt ones at that. he can help you definitly. now with catching a train on the fly.... i wouldnt suggest doing until someone showed you how to do it... not going to tell you how to do that one in fact i wouldnt suggest asking diagaro whatsoever on that one either... his blunt claws come into effect then... one thing i was taught by a trainrider by the name of agra red is never to fear but be cautious.... that is a good hint... and have you ever played cat and mouse by any chance? well perfect practice time when going to hop freight. because you know what is going to happen when the cat has caught your tongue.... the bull has arrested your dumbass...(dumbass for having lost that game) agra red was the one that helped me with riding the rails btw. and as for any legends is the main hobo heaven... where when you die you catch the westbound to a place where the whiskey runs like rivers, ciggarettes grow on trees, weed grows like grass or something or other and quite the most beautiful place you could never imagine unless dreaming... but then we never choose our dreams.... nope not quite unless your faking sleep... anyways... good luck kid.... try to avoid any large states you just might get stuck unless you are already stuck(texas) .... chat later

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads