An often overlooked item for gear- socks!!

ScumRag

me, hellarity, oak, ca. about 2006
Reaction score
I posted to a thread a while back but couldn't locate it to edit but just picked up these great steel toe boot socks from Dickies @ Target- $9.99 for 2 pair. I tried them with my new Carolina 1821 loggers & they work great!!! No bunching or sagging and my feet are relatively dry...ie: not too sweaty but they also feature "dri-tech wicking" which is a great alternative to rich folk socks at REI or North Face.

See pics...

Attachments

• 20171115_151105.jpg
    20171115_151105.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 286

Satanic Botanic

Reaction score
Socks and underwear are the two things I'll dish out some money on for quality.

From my experience, the best kind of socks are ones that have at least 70% merino wool. They are great for both warm and cold environments, comfy af, dry fast, and are anti-bacterial. They also are super easy to wash and air dry way faster than any shit quality sock.

The best quality I've ever found and exclusively use are People's socks. Never really cared about my socks until I experienced the magic of some quality socks. You can find them on amazon. Just search "peoples socks merino wool" or some shit. Like $25 for a 4 pack.

On that note, stop using shit quality underwear, or any cotton underwear for that matter. You're just gonna have perpetual jock itch. Buy some quality underwear with micromodal or spandex fibers. They too are anti-bacterial, dry fast, easy to hand wash, and comfy af. Buy some good quality underwear/socks and save yourself money in long run on fungal medications.

rooster831

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
meh i always just get the 12 pairs for 10 bucks they seem to do just fine except for the athlete's foot but powder takes care of that

as for undies i don't give a fuck free ball it all day

• Haha
Reactions: ScumRag
D

Deleted member 2626

Bass pro red head like 10 bucks a pair but lifetime warranty. Take em back unwashed hehe and get your new pair after they wear out. I had pair in my bag of a few that wasn't even the same and got that different pair replaced for new.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I use darn tough socks. Merino wool... If you buy them without a deal it's like $22 a pair, more or less. But a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. I used a few pairs for treeplanting and traveling the last couple years, and had a few holes. They just asked me for photos of the holes, then sent me replacements plus an extra pair for free. And got to keep the old ones.

They beat the hell out of any others i've used. And in the end will work out to the same price, if not cheaper... Assuming the company is going to be around for a while.

• Useful
Reactions: croc and Freerange
G

Grubblin

I'll spend fifteen to twenty dollars on a pair of socks all day. I've had frostbite on several toes on each foot one time. It wasn't the pain that bothered me, although it hurt quite a bit. It was thinking that I might lose a toe(s) on either or both feet that freaked me out. When I'm somewhere cold I have no problem going all out on socks.

Didn't lose any digits but I've got a toe that hurts like you wouldn't believe when it gets to about 32 or so. Nerve damage, maybe?

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
I just finished doing conservation work in Utah and a lot of the kids have been taking about Darn Tough Socks. Everyone swears by them, but none of those cats travel like the majority of us do. 20bones a pair is stepsteep, even with the lifetime warranty.
Maybe I'll reconsider.

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
For cotton sox I go wolverine or dickies for wool I've been using these carhartt ones recently that weren't over $15 for I wanna say 4 pair I think and they're not bad.

I have one really nice pair of wool socks from REI that were a gift and those are the best socks I own.

I love sox tho, my pack mostly consists of sox.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads