Featured News & Blogs

Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle

It's not the fanciest setup, but I thought I would re-post this guy's live-in van setup for those that need ideas for their own vehicles.

Taken from http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-shed/pro-shop/Alex-Honnolds-Ultimate-Adventure-Vehicle.html

alex-honnold-van-open-doors_ph-jpg.20687_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

Welcome to Alex Honnold's home sweet home, parked in American Fork, Utah. We caught up with the climber for an inside look at his deluxe camper-van setup, complete with all the gear you could ever want to free solo Half Dome—or to go on a slightly less adrenaline-filled adventure.

Honnold walked us through all the high- and low-tech features within to show us what he needs to live—and climb—on the road.

alex-honnold-van-clothes_ph-jpg.20688_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"The drawer in the back has the right gear for any adventure. It's even custom-sized to fit a crash pad. Many a big day has begun with me in the back of the van pawing through gear."

alex-honnold-gear-bins_ph-jpg.20689_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"A close-up of that aforementioned gear drawer. It's mostly full of cams, draws, and shoes, though it also has what feels like an infinite supply of chalk (the folks at Black Diamond gave me a garbage bag full), bolts, pitons, a drill, other random aid-climbing gear. Good thing it's a big drawer."

alex-honnold-library-ven-bed_ph-jpg.20690_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"Quality time in the library. I generally have a cabinet full of climbing guides and pleasure-reading books, which for the past four years or so has meant environmental nonfiction. There's a lot of time for reading in a home with no TV."

alex-honnold-cooking-kitchen_ph-jpg.20691_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"Dinnertime! After years of just having a Coleman camp stove bolted to my counter, the newest version of my van is a bit better built."

alex-honnold-snack-storage_ph-jpg.20692_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"Custom-sized water drawer that keeps my five-gallon jug hidden away. Plus the snack cabinet, with enough Clif product to power me up anything. Notice the Goal Zero batteries hidden down below."

alex-honnold-van-water_ph-jpg.20693_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"I lost patience and decided to tip the jug up when it was running low on water. Typical home life."

alex-honnold-bed-storage_ph-jpg.20694_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"There's extra storage around the wheel wells that's easily accessible from either the trunk or hidden panels built into the bed. The driver's side compartment holds ropes and skis, while the passenger side holds random camping gear."

alex-honnold-storage_ph-jpg.20695_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"So tidy! I try to sweep and clean up every other day. It's hard to live with a mess in such a small space."

alex-honnold-solar-panels_ph-jpg.20696_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"Two 60-watt solar panels from Goal Zero. They feed into the battery inside, which powers the fridge, lights, and occasionally my laptop."

alex-honnold-van-view_ph-jpg.20698_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"The view from bed. Looking leafy and green out today!"

alex-honnold-propane_ph-jpg.20699_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"External propane tank. My buddy John Robinson, who built out the whole interior of the van, told me that if he was going to do the work, he would only do it all legit and up to code. So he cut a hole in the wall and put the propane tank outside the living space—and installed a carbon monoxide detector. I wouldn't have bothered, but I appreciate his craftsmanship."

alex-honnold_blueberries_ph-jpg.20700_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"Blueberries! Delicious! I take most of my meals in the front seats because they're more comfortable than the back."

alex-honnold-van-panorama_ph-jpg.20701_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

"When you look at the van like this, it almost looks like a luxury apartment."

alex-honnold-26_ph-jpg.20702_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

For more on Alex and his van, check out his website.

Hey, I'm Matt Derrick, the founder of Squat the Planet. If you're reading this, you obviously want to know more about me, so here we go: So if you haven't guessed from seeing this website, I'm a big computer geek / gamer, but I like to do other...
View all 28 featured items

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Current Location
folks who know me have my #.
well.. i'mma not gonna brag.. but.. assuming i dun catch on fire, going over the mountains, i'll post you what a *scary* fucking adventure vehicle looks like
: )

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

scummy1990

Current Location
wherever
i actually met alex a couple times hes an awesome fucking guy and have been in his van once its a great setup

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Current Location
folks who know me have my #.
oh yeah.. definitely looks nice, & is certainly a super sweet ride..
mine contributes to my deafness & sometime people have to hold their hands over their mouths when i give it chemotherapy..
this fucker will probably kill me..

that or a goddamned sailboat, hopefully..

in any case, eventually i'll put up some pics from the anti-universe..
; )

& i hope all his journeys are good...

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
the more i look at this design the more i fall in love with it. i think there's a fairly good possibility this is the kind of setup i'm going to go with.

East

Current Location
Everywhere
Recently purchased the same type of van (1997, 150k) for $900, though a Conversion E-150, not quite as stealthy in industrial spaces as a Cargo E150. It gets about 19MPG tops on a good day, which is actually not bad. Right now I'm exploring all possibilities of a full on camper conversion with something similar in the way of solar panels. It's nice to know people who weld and have a full garage of tools. Knowing that and seeing this is making me really optimistic about the prospects.

eacrgp3-jpg.20250_Alex Honnold's Ultimate Adventure Vehicle_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:50 PM

Lots of potential, just need time. But then again that's all I got. Great read Matt.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
is that really the same van (same size and all)? cause my only real complaint about alex's conversion was the lack of windows in the rear, so yours might be more what i'm looking for.

East

Current Location
Everywhere
Looks like his is a little older because of the exterior styling, but I'm positive it is the same size inside on the same exact body (started in 1992). 1997+ got a more aerodynamic facelift. The RWD body layout used is actually the same one Ford used on the F-150 series, so finding most suspension parts is pretty much a cake walk. They're definitely nice if you can find one on the cheap.

edit: looks like the video says 2002, maybe the headlights got changed to the older style? It's definitely an econoline e150 though from the same gen, so same size on the inside.

Last edited:

Sameer

Current Location
Cortez, Colorado
This is a great conversion. I like the idea of open space and it does not look like a cave. I am curious why no television? Wherever I am living on public land I rely on the local TV broadcast for Reliable weather and local events. When I was in Cortez, Colorado I found out about two farmers markets. Here at Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff where I am now I have 34 over-the-air channels. A person can only do so much reading When the Sun Goes Down. Hahaha! Honestly, a television uses a minut amount of energy.
This story and van conversion was very interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

I'm the Chairman of the Board.
MFB wrote on slaapkaamers's profile.
I hosted Lilith/@slaapkaamers for 3 nights in Nov 19.
She was an exemplary guest. Good w both conversing and alone time. Trustworthy, didnt steal anything and I felt very comfortable leaving her alone at my place. She didnt stink and not a junky.
Lilith is a legit traveller, she's a sweet, artistic chick w lots of good and interesting ideas to chat about. A pleasure to host. If she's in your neck of the woods you should help her out. 😉
I have a pretty good new squat in sfe but im leaving soon if anyone wants the keys lmk.
The peavine is gorgeous, I highly recommend that route.
Fucking winter snuck up this year
Damn It! I've been thinking and debating about applying for a position as an Amtrash locomotive engineer! They have openings for Salt Lake City, UT and St. Cloud, MN. I know I got to go through training but I'll be on call 24/7? There goes my sex life and night time weekend parties! Screw that, I'll play with my train set-No Pun=No Joke!
Made back up into Cincy for the weekend. Gonna chill with some homies before we head west for the winter..
'The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.' -Elie Wiesel
Bey
First Vermont snowfall; Bon hiver, everybody!
anybody up in alaska wanna play some tunes?

Members online